Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Please post pictures of built-in furniture, the new trend

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:55 am
As we are renovating we hear suggestions to get rid of our master bedroom furniture and do custom instead that is said to be nicer and more customized. Whatever, I understand that this is another trend. But I never saw this in reality. I barely visit other people's new bedrooms so I have no clue how this can be nice. Can someone post or direct me to photos of this sort of custom furniture? I can't seem to find them on houzz.
Anonymous because am discussing this url

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 10:07 am
Built-in master bedrooms on houzz: http://www.houzz.com/photos/be...../nqrw

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 10:24 am
You can do a search on Pinterest they have everything

sky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:25 am
was also going to suggest built in master closet on houzz.
tons of ideas from very extravagant to simple.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 1:12 pm
Check out the website IkeaHackers. The ideas range from very simple to very elaborate and professional, and they all come with full instructions, diagrams, and a list of the hardware you will need. There are often step by step pictures, or even videos.

I've seen some really stunning things done with basic shelves or storage units, that have been custom painted, and then framed in crown molding to match the rest of the house's woodwork. Suddenly those Billy shelves end up looking like a Victorian library!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:02 pm

The only thing I'd do differently is to put hidden storage lower down where the beds will hide it, because now it's wasted space. (E.g. one could put out-of-season clothing behind the beds. Then you just puil out the beds to access it. Much easier than attic/basement. Although would it collect dust? Hm.)

I did it with one door so half of each shelf is exposed (or a quarter on each side) - mainly so I would be motivated not to pile up junk. One day I may post a picture with my photos on top, lamps etc. I later drilled holes in bottoms shelf to put lamp cords through.

I have the two headboards adjacent so the top molding is flat where they meet. I thought about making a removable molding in case when my kids inherit them, they want to keep them separate. Then I decided that's their issue to deal with...

(I still have a night table, mainly because I'm afraid of spilling a drink. I had though about a pop-out drink holder, like you have in the car, but it would have been expensive & probably spilled on the bed in the end...)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:32 pm
The way I've seen it being done is clear open spaces not being taken up by furniture, with large customized closets that have compartments and spaces for all storage needs instead. So just built in headboards, beds and night table. The room feels really airy and living space is so much more enjoyable.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:33 pm
built in bedroom furniture is not a new trend. Almost the houses we have lived in have built in wardrobes in each room.

We have the long wall of our bedroom (rectangular shaped room) covered with wardrobe up to the ceiling and until the end, except for the corner where there is a sink. There is shelving and hanging space. No drawers, so I use black storage boxes from ikea on the shelves to store my tshirts and tights and bras.

the only other furniture we have is 2 small bedside cabinets, and a small bookcase. Also a shelving unit next to the sink where I keep my makeup and stuff.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:05 pm
Raisin wrote:
built in bedroom furniture is not a new trend. Almost the houses we have lived in have built in wardrobes in each room.

We have the long wall of our bedroom (rectangular shaped room) covered with wardrobe up to the ceiling and until the end, except for the corner where there is a sink. There is shelving and hanging space. No drawers, so I use black storage boxes from ikea on the shelves to store my tshirts and tights and bras.

the only other furniture we have is 2 small bedside cabinets, and a small bookcase. Also a shelving unit next to the sink where I keep my makeup and stuff.

IME, it's a lot less common in the US.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:17 pm
In the late 70's there was a trend in certain parts of the US towards built in furniture. It is limiting, once it's in place that's where it's going to live. It seems to me it could work in a bedroom much better than a living room. It also may lack appeal if one were to sell one's house. The cost of removing it, trashing it and restoring walls to a like new condition could get expensive.

Shuly

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:55 pm
I've been seeing a lot of built in seforim shelves in Israel. They're made out of plaster and painted the same color as the walls, usually in a light color.
I love the look as it makes the room seem much bigger than a heavy wood seforim shrank.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:37 pm
Our home has a built in study (came with the home). Floor to ceiling shelving and desk. I LOVE it. It is beautiful and airy without being heavy like typical bookcases that fill a room. Plus a lot more storage - and so solid.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The way I've seen it being done is clear open spaces not being taken up by furniture, with large customized closets that have compartments and spaces for all storage needs instead. So just built in headboards, beds and night table. The room feels really airy and living space is so much more enjoyable.

Like what ? Can you direct me to see it somewhere?

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 7:05 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHIXSgCh2e8/
I am not sure if this is what you referring to, but I think this bedroom is gorgeous. I would love to do something like this, but I think it costs a fortune
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics