Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
8 yo oversensitive to noise

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:21 pm
is it normal for my 8y.0 son to be unable to tolerate loud noise? if one of my other kids is tantrumming or crying loudly (if got hurt) he has to leave the room, and he starts going crazy that the noise is too loud.
also, not sure if this is related or not but I'll mention it just in case. he also hates germs. if someone sneezes near him he gets upset about it. if he's not sure if its his waterbottle he wont drink it, etc. (not over hte top, he doesn't hand wash excessively or anything like that)
any thoughts what it cam be

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:27 pm
Not sure how and where you would get an eight year old occupational therapy, but thats what he needs. I am like that till today because no one took care of it when I was young. I cant even stand having my washer and dryer work at the same time. Its hard. Loud honking or crying stretch my nerves to its capacity.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:38 pm
I don't know about the germs, but I have a child who is extremely sensitive to noise. At that age, it helped to give her some control over her experience by providing her with noise-blocking earmuffs or earplugs to use when she felt she needed it.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 2:52 pm
My son is sensitive to noise and has a hearing issue.
Without tubes he cannot stand loud noises. (and with tubes he still has issues but to a lesser degree).

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:57 pm
DD and I are both sensitive to loud noises. Think about spicy food. Everyone is eating the same tacos, and only one person complains that they are too hot. The rest of the people are saying that they are delicious. Who is right? It's not about being right or wrong, it's about what each individual needs.

Your son removing himself from the room is excellent, it shows that he's taking care of himself, and knows what his limits are. A bad coping mechanism would be to yell at other people to "shut up!"

There are meditation type techniques so that he can learn to tune out surrounding noise. I'm not sure where you would go to learn them, but I know it can be done. I've taught myself over the years, but I couldn't explain how. It's just something I slowly started doing without really being aware of it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:12 pm
Found this http://www.aitinstitute.org/so.....s.htm

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
Found this http://www.aitinstitute.org/so.....s.htm

This looks fascinating. Do you have any personal experience with this?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:13 pm
I have hyperacusis due to hearing loss (ironic, huh?). I strongly recommend getting your child's hearing checked by an audiologist and going for OT.

The only way to deal with sensitivity to noise, regardless of whether or not hearing loss is the cause, is to learn to tolerate or tune it out. That is a skill that most people have, but it's harder if you have hearing issues or are otherwise sensitive to noise.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
I have hyperacusis due to hearing loss (ironic, huh?). I strongly recommend getting your child's hearing checked by an audiologist and going for OT.

Me too! I have mid range hearing loss. For mid range sounds, I have to lip read, or else I'm lost. Everything sounds like it's coming from underwater. I can't understand a man's voice even if he's right in front of me, but I can hear a mosquito, or a clock ticking in the next room. Annoying!

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:31 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Your son removing himself from the room is excellent, it shows that he's taking care of himself, and knows what his limits are. A bad coping mechanism would be to yell at other people to "shut up!"

of it.

He does yell "shut up" and gets very angry and then leaves room.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
He does yell "shut up" and gets very angry and then leaves room.

Oh.

Well, he's halfway there! He's only 8, so getting him intervention now will help him learn to be better at self soothing. It will come with time and maturity, and will happen faster if he has some guidance. Therapy will help immensely with that.

I still feel angry and leave the room, but I've learned that yelling at people who have no intention of being quiet does not help. On the other hand, if I think they will listen to me, I will politely ask them to please keep their voices/music/TV down.

DH has an extremely loud voice, and he works with very difficult clients. He's always on the phone screaming, yelling, shouting at them. When they don't agree with him, he just gets louder. I try to use a hand signal to tell him to lower his volume, but if he doesn't I just escape to the far end of the house and close the door. I'm no less annoyed, I'm just not as rude about it.

*some days I do wish I could yell "shut up", though.* Mad

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 10:14 pm
I do remember being sensitive to sound after I gave birth and I took magnesium.
Also, hypersensitivity can be a symptom of heavy metals such as mercury.

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:10 am
I had this problem among other sensory issues. It is real and can be debilitating. The only thing I found helpful for the nose sensitivity was a type of music therapy. When I wanted it for my dd I had a hard time finding and affording a therapist so I took the training course to become a provider for my own family and anyone else interested. You can pm me for details because I don't want to get accused of spamming the forum with promotions but it is a really helpful cost-effective program that you can do from home.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:16 pm
I was told recently at 9 year old son's hearing test that hearing loss can exasperate other sensory issues. My son hates loud noises.
A school or drs test may not catch a very bad hearing loss because of the way it does the testing. Both missed my son's issue.
With my son it wasn't obvious. He was learning everything in schol and it didn't show itself in the typical fashion.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:26 pm
As for the germ phobia (I have it too) - it sounds significant and is probably an anxiety problem. This should be taken care of as soon as possible, before his anxiety on this topic gets worse, or he develops anxiety in other areas, or develops OCD (I have germ-phobia and do the whole OCD hand-washing thing. It is torture). Please get him help for this too ASAP - a good child psychologist can help with this. Do NOT try to address or solve his anxiety on your own - not only will it not work, but you could very easily make the problem worse without realizing. A little professional therapy can go a long way with these things, especially if you catch it now while it's in the earlier phases.

As for the sounds, it sounds like a sensory issue (I have this as well) - the earlier you get him professional help, the better off he'll be in the long run.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children