Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What is a Rational Argument Against Cremation?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:18 pm
Discussing the topic of burial vs. cremation with a relative. If someone isn't observant and does not believe in the concept of a soul or that the Torah is true, is there a rational argument to be made against cremation and in favor the traditional Jewish burial?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:24 pm
One argument, that is more emotional than rational, is that unfortunately, so many Jews were cremated during World War two, and why would you choose to do what they were made to do.

A slightly less emotional argument, having a place to go visit can be of great comfort to the family. A plot will be there, while there is a greater chance that an urn will be destroyed or lost.

Last edited by singleagain on Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:33 pm
I haven't checked it out myself but you might want to look at http://www.peacefulreturn.com/ . Rabbi Doron Kornbluth has written about this.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Jul 06 2016, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 4:59 pm
Thanks!

I'll check out that link, Pinkfridge....

Singleagain, I'll definitely try that, but I don't know how compelling it will be...

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:06 pm
If it helps any with this particular relative, cremation is pretty bad for the environment.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:12 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I haven't checked it out myself but you might want to look at www.peacefulreturn.com. Rabbi Doron Kornbluth has written about this.

404 not found. Sad

My mom was cremated and sprinkled over her favorite waterfall. The rest of the family thought this was a beautiful idea, and mom had said that was what she wanted, so I didn't push the issue.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:16 pm
Every episode of Law & Order where they solve the case by digging up an old body.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:29 pm
To burn something symbolizes destruction. Burial is how we show respect for the soul's vessel by returning it to the earth from where it originates. Likewise, the soul is never destroyed, but returns to the state it existed in before birth.

cm

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:42 pm
I'm not sure how much energy is used in cremation, but it is probably considerable.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 5:52 pm
cm wrote:
I'm not sure how much energy is used in cremation, but it is probably considerable.

Today's crematoria run on natural gas, unfortunately the equivalents in natural gas are hard to find. The equivalent in fuel oil would be about 28 gallons. In the US crematoria are highly regulated as to emissions, most do use catalytic converters and other types of air filtering.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 7:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
404 not found. Sad

My mom was cremated and sprinkled over her favorite waterfall. The rest of the family thought this was a beautiful idea, and mom had said that was what she wanted, so I didn't push the issue.

I think I put the period too close to the url. I edited it. Should work now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions