Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to entertain toddler in the morning

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:29 am
My toddler wakes up at 5:45. He used to wake up at 6:30... I've tried putting him to bed earlier/ later to see if that would help, but no, seems like this new pattern is here to stay.
How can I entertain him until around 6:30-6:45? I just can't get out of bed at 5:45, neither can my husband. (Currently, I wake up at 5:45, watch him for half an hour, then my husband trades with me while I go back to sleep, but I don't like this system.)
Is there some sort of especially engaging toy that I can buy and save for exclusive morning use? (I'd prefer no video type games. No movies either.)
Thanks!

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:47 am
My toddler can't be bothered to play with toys, even the most exciting light up ones. Cabinets and drawers are the most interesting toys.
Personally when my toddler gets up at that time, we stay in my bed together. We bounce, sing silly songs, play Patty cake etc, tickle each other, look out the window for all the birds and squirrels and cats, and then it's time for breakfast.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:44 am
I used to have this problem with my kids. I got a great room darkener, their room is pitch dark. Bh that solved the problem.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:59 am
You can get an OK to Wake clock, the light stays red until whatever time you set and then turns green, at which point the child is allowed to leave the room. At close to 3, he should be able to listen, though of course, this really does depend on the kid caring enough to follow the rule of staying in till the clock turns green. You could try letting him play quietly in your bed until you're ready to get up. Be really boring so he learns it's not worth bothering you so early. If all else fails, you and dh should switch off mornings, not shifts. Waking up for half an hour and then going back to bed doesn't do much, I know it certainly would be useless for me. But getting to stay in bed some mornings while he gets up is more equitable and getting the rest sometimes will give you the energy to manage on the days when you have to be the one to get up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics