Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food markup?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:53 am
How much is the food markup where you live? Not restaurants, but supermarkets.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:20 am
I'm not in the business and don't know the details, but news articles about the supermarket industry usually make reference to "razor thin" profit margins (in the US).

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:22 am
How can an ordinary person judge this?

Skippy!!

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 11:44 am
I think it's about 30%.

yo603

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:35 pm
Small groceries 40-50%+, General supermarkets (gourmet glatt) 30-40%, Discount supermarkets (KRM, NPGS, Moisha's) 20-25%

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
How can an ordinary person judge this?

I wouldn't think an "ordinary person" would bother answering. Only someone who might know would answer.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:31 pm
don't know - but I can tell you the prices in brooklyn are way higher than the prices in cleveland for everything

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 1:41 pm
interesting greenfire, hard to believe , usually oot is more expensive

anyway I work in a supermarket its 30% here

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:18 pm
greenfire wrote:
don't know - but I can tell you the prices in brooklyn are way higher than the prices in cleveland for everything

I was in Cleveland last year and the kosher supermarket was selling kedem grape juice for $8.29. In bklyn its around $5.49 and I've seen it on sale for $2.99. I think many of the other kosher brands like pashkez, liebers, and haddar were also more expensive than intown.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
I was in Cleveland last year and the kosher supermarket was selling kedem grape juice for $8.29. In bklyn its around $5.49 and I've seen it on sale for $2.99. I think many of the other kosher brands like pashkez, liebers, and haddar were also more expensive than intown.

And in LA at the non kosher grocery store (huge kosher section with takeout too- Ralph's) we can get it on sale for 4.99 (I've gotten it for less around Pesach and RH, around $3-$4) and not on sale for 5.99 or so. And that's with shipping across the country and smaller clientele. So Brooklyn marks up groceries way too high!

Kosher markets vary incredibly here. We have a bunch of them and it REALLY differs. Hard to analyze...

Maryann

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:29 pm
Very interesting hard to believe oot is cheaper

cm

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:31 pm
Having traveled around the US a bit, I have noticed that food in general is less expensive in the Midwest than in the Northeast. Kosher-brand and specialty products may vary.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:50 pm
thats funny. in my experience, food is much cheaper in Boro Park than in Baltimore where I live.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
thats funny. in my experience, food is much cheaper in Boro Park than in Baltimore where I live.

I remember HY posting 's food receipt and breakdown a couple of years ago and was surprised that the prices in Baltimore were less than KRM prices in Boro Park.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:14 pm
I am going to guess that Hashem Yaazor's purchases were not necessarily the same brands as you get in NY.
for exaxmple, we are makpid on pas yisreol and chalav yisroel. the products that I get in baltimore cost more than those same producs in NY. so I guess that s what I am comparing. I am comparing apples to apples, not apples to peaches if you get what I mean. the jewish made stuff is defintitey more expensvie. Also prices have gone up here alot recenly. HY no longer lives in Baltimore

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 3:49 pm
I don't know if comparing retail prices helps you determine markup. Wholesale prices could vary, too, even within the same region.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics