Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Day 1 of camp homesick already

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:11 am
teen dd is doing a travel camp and already I am getting text messages that she wants to come home and the NY girls are snobby-(sorry ny'ers). How do I tell her to give it a chance without invalidating her feelings. I want to be supportive, but it is only day 1 and everyone has to get to know each other etc. This is not the first time she has gone to sleep away camp, and she has always loved camp, but this is her first year of this one and she was very brave to go by herself. My heart is so sad for her. She says she has gone up to people and is trying to be friendly but she is not getting positive responses. She says the girls in her room totally ignored her. I emailed the directors just to give them a heads up because dd is very good at putting on a smile for everyone else and then sharing her real feelings with me.- I just don't know how to help.....

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:28 am
It sounds like the issue is not really homesickness, but the fact that she feels excluded.

Letting the directors know is a great approach. Hopefully, they and the counselors will facilitate.

Tell her, "that must be hard for you. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I'll daven that the group comes together."

That way, you are letting her know that you sympathize, but are not running to pull her out tomorrow.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:45 am
imasinger wrote:
It sounds like the issue is not really homesickness, but the fact that she feels excluded.

Letting the directors know is a great approach. Hopefully, they and the counselors will facilitate.

Tell her, "that must be hard for you. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I'll daven that the group comes together."

That way, you are letting her know that you sympathize, but are not running to pull her out tomorrow.

100% spot on- she does feel excluded- she says she has gone over to a bunch of different girls, but no luck... holding my breath...

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 2:14 pm
ny girls can be snobby - my dd#3 was a lifeguard at a local day camp that she was working in for years - in came the ny girls one summer and what a change ... I kept wondering why my daughter didn't want to hang out with the counselors at out of camp activities

that being said - you still need to give it time as maybe one or two girls will come through and that is all she needs to acclimate to her new environment and start having fun ... I pray she has FUN Hug

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 5:28 pm
amen to that! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children