Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it dangerous....?
Previous  1  2

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 12:36 am
Also, its good to know that other people are also still up cooking!

m in Israel

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:12 am
I don't want to be nitpicky, but two different posters mentioned a risk of carbon monoxide if the oven/stove gets blown out. This is completely incorrect, and it is important for people to understand. Carbon monoxide is produced by a burning flame, not by one which has been blown out! If the flame is out there is a different risk -- gas leaking into the apartment. But carbon monoxide is a risk when the flame is burning, especially if it is burning in a situation where there may not be an adequate oxygen supply to the flame (I.e. under a blech).

I wrote a long post in this thread about this with more information -- I think it is kdai to read up on this so as to be as safe as possible:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:22 am
pointyshoes wrote:
Rolling Laughter

That was my autocorrect doing its job

does this mean you wish to be excused ... Nervous

keep in mind it will be quite hot & humid this shabbos and I know I wouldn't want anything extra making me hotter

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:43 am
greenfire wrote:
does this mean you wish to be excused ... Nervous

keep in mind it will be quite hot & humid this shabbos and I know I wouldn't want anything extra making me hotter

Well my favorite local crackpot said that she wasn't available to sit on the food and keep it warm till shabbos lunch for me.
Turns out that was too crazy even for her.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 4:02 am
tf wrote:
The story in Brooklyn happened with an old hotplate that the wires were loosened with age. Stoves are dangerous if the flame turns off, which can be prevented by making sure there's no wind blowing the flames out causing carbon monoxide. Soo,
1- the windows in the room of the blech should only be open on top, so it doesn't blow the flame out.
2- check whether the flame is on after the blech is in place because the blech may create a blow to the flame.
3- don't put the flame on hi
4- check hotplate or crock pot wires for loose or unstable wiring.
5- have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in place.

Add to this that you should leave your over-the-stove vent on over Shabbos if you're dealing with a gas stove. I imagine that an open window would do the same thing, but I never heard that for sure, so please don't go by me for that.

And yes, I forgot to leave the vent on one week and the carbon monoxide part of our carbon monoxide/smoke detector went off. We had someone put it into "hush mode" (it stops beeping for 5 minutes to give you a chance to air out the place, and I guess just in case it's from something like a nearby candle) we opened up everything, had someone turn on the vent for us, and B"H the detector didn't go off again. But yes, erev Shabbos cooking + several more hours of using a blech + no ventillation = carbon monoxide.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:33 pm
just so you know life is dangerous ... there is electric in the walls that can create fire at any given moment

but we still turn on lights & have our computers, refrigerators and lots of things plugged in

just make sure there is nothing left around like a dish towel or wires near heat and be safe and check that there are no mars in the wires
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics