Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Need easy and quick vegetarian meal ideas
1  2  Next

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:07 am
My son and I recently became vegetarian and I'm looking for meal ideas both for Friday night, shabbat day, and weekday as well.
Preferably with iron in it and keeping in mind that I have a 6 month old and a 22 month old so don't have loads of time to cook.

I've been doing lasagna the past few Friday nights.
I don't love the parcel schnitzel you can buy and don't know what to serve it with.

Thank you so much!

5mom

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:12 am
Lentils are high in iron and easy to cook. Soup, stew, or salad would work.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:31 am
the red lentil curry from allrecipes is yummy and very easy.

Mushroom boreka is a nice side/main/wtvr for shabbos. Pretty easy if you buy the premade puff pastry.

Can it be dairy?

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:36 am
I'm very happy with dairy, yes!

What's the recipe from all recipes? I don't have that cook book.

We eat eggs and dairy products. As my son would say nothing that had a face all else is OK!

How would you put lentils in a salad?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:36 am
I get all of my recipes off of Google and Pinterest.

Just search "Kosher Vegan" and "Kosher Vegetarian". I also like a lot of the "Kosher Gluten Free" things I find.

Once you get your mindset changed toward a more vegetable based diet, the recipes will come to you a lot easier. You just need some inspiration to get your imagination going.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I think that meat should be a side dish, and only eaten occasionally. On the other hand, DH would eat steak and potatoes day in and day out if he could, so I have to find tasty things to balance out our menus.

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:41 am
I think you are right, it's very difficult at the moment to shift my mind set. I've been cooking more or less the same meals for a long time and they are easy.
Things like roast chicken or rice and ground meat I is easy.
I agree that it's not necessarily that healthy though and I'm happy being vegetarian I'm just finding ideas of what to cook really hard. It doesn't help that in between the toddler, the baby, teaching my older kids, taking them out, dealing with melt downs etc I feel like I barely have time to sit for a second.
Sorry for the moan, I'm having a rough morning and am trying to figure out what to cook for shabbat still!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:44 am
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/1.....urry/

allrecipes is a great website.

Quiche is also nice - buy premade frozen shells, the spice and spirit has a few great recipes.

Definitely get some vegetarian cookbooks for inspiration - charity shops or libraries should have loads. Kosher is not such an issue with most recipes. Or browse the internet.

Quinoa is supposed to be super healthy and full of protein.

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:53 am
Thank you so much! I'll look at that website and some recipe books are a good idea actually!

I'll try a quinoa salad today! Thank you!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:58 am
Vegetarian food can be really delicious. It's all about the freshness and seasoning.

You shouldn't lean too heavily on dairy instead of meat. Some dairy is fine, but too much cheese will wreak havoc on your cholesterol levels.

There was a recent thread about lentils with some great recipes (including my vegetarian chili).

I'm guessing you won't eat fish because it had a face? Have you tried experimenting with tofu or seitan or other non animal proteins?

Vegetarian food can be time consuming to prepare. If you do some prep work the night before it might simplify things for you.

Look into Indian cuisine. There's a lot of vegetarian options of various types.

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 6:09 am
I love Indian! Didn't think of it as I've always eaten things like chicken tika or beef korma but that's a great idea!
No fish either. Well to be perfectly honest, I'm happy eating fish but my son isn't so practically speaking no fish.
That's interesting what you say about cheese because my natural inclination has been to substitute meat for milk, I didn't even think twice about it but you are right, it's not very healthy.
Thank you!

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 6:19 am
Ratatouille is nice and pairs well with noodles or rice. Takes some time to chop veggies but then you just let it cook. Also, it's good hot or cold and lasts nicely in the fridge for several days.

Lentil soup is great (when it's not sizzling hot out).

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 6:20 am
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

I adore this site! The biggest problem is the investment in spices. If you are lucky enough to have an Indian grocery store near you, then look for the Rami brand, as they are under the KSA hecksher. Otherwise, you can order everything you need off of Amazon.

The best thing about this site is that there are step by step tutorial videos that come with each recipe. Everything I've made has come out amazing!

gummybear

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 8:37 am
This is an amazing cookbook, such easy tasty recipes. If you are able to buy it, it's really worth it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/River.....12126

There's lots you can do with lentils. I use a lot of green lentils in curries etc and red lentils are used for a different texture, they go really mushy so it's easy to make red lentil burgers. They can be served like normal burgers, in a bun with veg and ketchup etc.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec.....curry

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec.....rgers

Lentil shepherds pie is great as a main for shabbat:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec.....s-pie

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec.....-mash

This is great as a side dish, I often serve it for shabbat lunch:
https://redhenrun.wordpress.co.....cipe/

mille

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 8:54 am
I love Budget Bytes (http://www.budgetbytes.com), there are a lot of vegan/vegetarian recipes, and many more are very adaptable! Most are super simple and quick to make.

I also love the Moosewood cookbooks for vegetarian cooking!

chavs

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:52 pm
This is all amazing thank you so much! I'll check out all the websites and I'll look at yay cookbook as well and the spices. I never knew you could do shepards pie with lentils or that green and red lentils had different textures.
Good idea with the ratatouille as well!
Thank you!

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:20 pm
I like this with much less cheese ( I use 1/3 cup cheese and green enchilada sauce because I like it more) and more veggies- I add sautéed onion, zuchinni, pepper and sweet potato
http://damndelicious.net/2014/.....role/

I like the Chana masala from oh she glows

Vegetarian chili or Lentil soup or black bean soup is a great option- can be made in the crockpot.

homemade macaroni and cheese is not so healthy but a nice treat for Shabbas

I make quiches in 9X13s with an easy homemade press in crust- broccoli, zuchinni, spinach, mushroom etc.

We like making a big taco salad, can add beans and cheese and avacado and lots of veggies and make a good olive oil or Greek yogurt based dressing. Or big Greek salad either with feta, can add in quinoa or chickpeas for extra protein or marinated tofu

Do you like peanut butter? I have some savory recipes with peanut butter

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:22 pm
2 red peppers julienned
head of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro
1 green pepper [roasted & peeled]
a hot peppers [your choice of type or can skip]
garlic powder
tumeric
paprika [a lot - 2 or 3 Tbs]
coriander & annatto

saute' in extra virgin olive oil

add slices of salmon fillets [number is up to you 4 - 8][or skip for vegans]

after about 30 minutes add can of chick peas with liquids

put on low and cook for another 20-30 minutes for flavours to marry

taste good hot or cold - enjoy over rice

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:23 pm
I have been getting vegan cookbooks out from the library- we like isa moskowitz and the minimalist baker by Dana Schultz. I'm not vegan, but try to minimize my meat and dairy consumption and can't eat beans/ lentils😩

Oh do you like tofu? Lots to do with tofu! Can do Asian style or marinated in a salad or braised with Mexican flavors or crumbled into lasagna or puréed into soup or dessert

ticklemepink

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:43 pm
I always loved the Morning Star Farms and meat substitutes. I wouldn't go as far to say that they taste like meat, however, they are very good. I would make chicken parmesan w/ the soy chicken cutlets, spaghetti and meatballs, "cheeseburgers", "meat" lasagna or baked ziti w/ the meat crumbles, "bacon" and eggs etc

mirah2

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:03 pm
The above are all great ideas, a few additions:

1) Our usual Friday night soup is lentil and chickpea with spinach (which adds iron). Most of the ingredients are 'store-cupboard'/tinned and I use frozen chopped spinach, so it's very easy to sling together and the cooking time is fast.

2) Roast veg are great - they can be cut up/prepped the night before (which is most of the work) then left in the oven to do their thing. Root veg/potatoes work, but also onions, big mushrooms, peppers - you name it.

3) I make crustless quiche, which saves on effort/buying pre-made crust.

Hope this helps! Shabbat shalom.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus