Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Reheating Lasagna on blech for Shabbat lunch?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 9:38 pm
Years ago when I went on a Birthright trip to Israel (this was when I had just first became observant), I was a guest of a nice family for Shabbat lunch who served dairy Lasagna.

I was wondering, do many people hold that you can reheat lasagna (on a blech) for Shabbat lunch? If so, under what halacha is it allowed (per your Rav)? I would think it would be considered too liquidy?

I already asked my Rav if I could reheat lasagna, and he said no, so I won't be doing this.

water_bear88

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 2:39 pm
I guess it depends how liquidy your lasagna comes out- I never thought to ask because mine isn't swimming in sauce. (I can get it out in fairly neat pieces with a spatula.)

momofone613

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 10:26 pm
Mine doesn't have too much saise, more veggie and cheese, so yes, I would (and have) Smile

nicole81

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 10:34 pm
According to R' Ovadia Yosef, you can reheat items on a hotplate as long as the volume of solids is greater than the volume of liquid. Even in a very saucy lasagna, it's likely that the solids still trump the liquid.

5mom

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 1:16 am
Warming something like lasagna hinges on the halachic definition of "dry food." As best I know, the majority position among Ashkenazi poskim is that if a food is too solid to pour, or you'd serve it with a fork and not a spoon, it's considered dry and can be heated according to the usual rules for reheating dry food on shabbos. There are those who are machmir, either because they think if something can become liquid, it should be treated as a liquid from the start, or on the theory that when the liquid portion heats up it becomes a cooking agent.

Most Sefardim certainly allow this kind of heating, as per the psak of Rav Ovadia Yosef.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 4:12 pm
nicole81 wrote:
According to R' Ovadia Yosef, you can reheat items on a hotplate as long as the volume of solids is greater than the volume of liquid. Even in a very saucy lasagna, it's likely that the solids still trump the liquid.

This is definitely sephardic posek (for the same reason we heat meatballs in sauce). Not sure if OP is Sephardi.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 4:22 pm
I always use a water blech, which makes a kli sheini, and solves all of the problems. You can do the same thing by keeping a pot of hot water on the blech (like a dutch oven) and put the lasagna on top of that. Just make sure that the water in the pot is extremely hot BEFORE you light candles.

I've known people who reheat food on top of their water urn, too. If it has a flat top and gets pretty hot, it works quite well!

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:18 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
This is definitely sephardic posek (for the same reason we heat meatballs in sauce). Not sure if OP is Sephardi.

She wasn't asking for herself though and said her rav already said no. She just wanted to know if you hold that you can reheat, under what is it allowed.

sped

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I always use a water blech, which makes a kli sheini, and solves all of the problems. You can do the same thing by keeping a pot of hot water on the blech (like a dutch oven) and put the lasagna on top of that. Just make sure that the water in the pot is extremely hot BEFORE you light candles.

I've known people who reheat food on top of their water urn, too. If it has a flat top and gets pretty hot, it works quite well!

AFAIK, that works only for solids, not for liquids that can reach Yad soledet bo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions