Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapy help

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 8:39 pm
I am looking into 2 different things for 1 child and need assistance in finding resources. This is Brooklyn.
I have a school aged child that receives OT. I am think he may have auditory processing disorder and want to get him evaluated and treated. How would I do that? The school will not be much, if any, help. I am on my own. Do I call the BOE directly or I have to go through an agency? What is the process?

The second thing I want to look into for him is behavioral therapy. What kind of therapist does that? Is it available through the BOE or only private? Any recommendations of therapists?

cnc

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking into 2 different things for 1 child and need assistance in finding resources. This is Brooklyn.
I have a school aged child that receives OT. I am think he may have auditory processing disorder and want to get him evaluated and treated. How would I do that? The school will not be much, if any, help. I am on my own. Do I call the BOE directly or I have to go through an agency? What is the process?

The second thing I want to look into for him is behavioral therapy. What kind of therapist does that? Is it available through the BOE or only private? Any recommendations of therapists?

The DOE does not test for auditory processing disorder- you would need an audiologist for that.
How old is your child? When I was looking into having my child tested, I was told that it can not be diagnosed before 7-8 years old and testing will not even be administered before that age.

AFAIK Behavioral therapy is not done through the DOE either but I don't have any recommendations. Maybe someone can chime in.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 8:52 pm
cnc wrote:
The DOE does not test for auditory processing disorder- you would need an audiologist for that.
How old is your child? When I was looking into having my child tested, I was told that it can not be diagnosed before 7-8 years old and testing will not even be administered before that age.

AFAIK Behavioral therapy is not done through the DOE either but I don't have any recommendations. Maybe someone can chime in.

Thank you.
Child is 6. Do you know if it would be possible to be tested through health insurance for auditory processing disorder?

cnc

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you.
Child is 6. Do you know if it would be possible to be tested through health insurance for auditory processing disorder?

The DOE gave me a specific place to go to that's supposed to be tops and they did not accept insurance. The DOE told me that I will most likely have to pay out of pocket for this. It ended up not being shayach for me because my child was too young to be tested. Also 2 of my child's therapists did an APD SCREENING (as opposed to testing) and concluded that it's highly unlikely that he has it anyways bh.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jul 09 2016, 9:11 pm
Thanks for the info.
I guess I can talk with the administrator at the DOE and see what she recommends.

Pooh

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 6:24 am
Try calling Strivright 718 531 1800 they can for sure guide you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics