Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help me spice my cholent
1  2  Next

STMommy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 8:32 pm
How do you flavor your cholent? Looking for a strong taste (meaning, not bland. I don't want it to be too hot/spicy).

TIA!!!!!

lizard8

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 8:49 pm
We put lots of garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper with a large squirt of ketchup. The key is to put more spices than usual, and you will get better flavor. When I want it spicy I use chilli flakes.
A generous amount of good meat also make the cholent taste better.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:12 pm
We sauté the onions and sliced garlic for a while first, and then sear the meat in it. Then, we add cubed potatoes, soaked beans, and barley. We spice it with lots of salt and paprika, black pepper, Montreal steak spice, and sometimes a dash or honey, ketchup and/or chili matok. I also found that the crockpot makes a difference; our current one is very strong- we put up the cholent as late as possible on Friday with enough time to be fully cooked by Shabbos, add water to the top right before candle-lighting, and our cholent still comes out very well done and deep in flavor. When we had a weaker crockpot we put it up on Thursday night to give it time to develop the flavor.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:24 pm
STMommy wrote:
How do you flavor your cholent? Looking for a strong taste (meaning, not bland. I don't want it to be too hot/spicy).

TIA!!!!!

Good old hot peppers!

Smoked versions of hot pepper/paprika also work

Carmen Luna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:24 pm
Few bulbs of freshly minced garlic. Marrow bones. Brown sugar. Lots of black pepper. Salt (don't be stingy because the potatoes absorb salt). Ketchup. Osem powder.

browser

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:57 pm
Cumin, honey, salt, pepper

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:03 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
Few bulbs of freshly minced garlic. Marrow bones. Brown sugar. Lots of black pepper. Salt (don't be stingy because the potatoes absorb salt). Ketchup. Osem powder.
. This sounds perfect. But a few bulbs or cloves? Tongue Out How big is your cholent?

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:08 pm
I use a lot of salt, cumin, and paprika, and a bit less of garlic and onion powder. I also put in a dash of cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Beyond that, I always use marrow bones and a couple of squirts of ketchup and a nice amount of honey. As you can see, I measure everything exactly Very Happy

Carmen Luna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
. This sounds perfect. But a few bulbs or cloves? Tongue Out How big is your cholent?

Oh my. I meant cloves.. And, yes. My cholent is the bomb! Obviously, I omitted my secret to making it that perfect not overly cooked that everything is still very soft and not that deep brown color, yet cooked enough that the flavor is really there. I find that the REAL secret to making the perfect cholent is how and when you cook it..

cooksallday

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:54 pm
everyone has a different answer but I put salt pepper paprika garlic powder pinch of chili powder drizzle of honey or maple syrup, dash of soy sauce. I also add a diced onion, potatoes, can of beans, barley and meat with the bone. water to cover. yum every time.

jeweled

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:17 pm
Amazing how varied the spices are for the same dish.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:44 pm
Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Plus actual garlic cloves.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:43 am
Lots of paprika (smoked paprika is even better), sautéed onions, chopped celery (help reduce gassiness, 1 bulb of garlic but broken in cloves kept whole (may sound alarming but comes out mellow and caramelised), pepper, cumin, cinnamon and allspice. Use Kal Kugel liquid caramel (it's not sweet )if you like dark colour.

I have alternative seasoning, sautéed onions and hawaji (yemenite mix based on turmeric and cumin) which is aromatic but not spicy. I don't use potatoes or barley, usually chickpeas and wheat berries, also eggs sometimes turnip. Love marrow bones with soft inside you can scoop out.

Or if I want spicier version, I add pkaila (fried spinach in oil) and merguez, add white bean.

Imabobby7

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:43 am
I, and the rest of my family, don't like the cholent spicy. So I keep it simple yet flavorful. Salt, paprika, lot's of garlic and Haddar's Home Style Barbecue Sauce.

shacn

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:52 am
onion soup mix is a must!!!

madys

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:56 am
I layer as follows:

Marrow Bones
Diced onion
Chopped potatoes
Small white beans
Barley
Meat
Sliced Hot Dogs (optional, I don't always add them)
Lots of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
Cover with water

I put it up right before shabbos so it's cooked perfectly by shabbos lunch, not too burnt

Carmen Luna

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:10 pm
madys wrote:
I layer as follows:

Marrow Bones
Diced onion
Chopped potatoes
Small white beans
Barley
Meat
Sliced Hot Dogs (optional, I don't always add them)
Lots of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
Cover with water

I put it up right before shabbos so it's cooked perfectly by shabbos lunch, not too burnt

Just to make you aware, putting up a cholent right before shabbos is problematic because, according to halacha it has to be cooked by the time shabbos starts.

m+m

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:25 pm
I find that the fattier the meat the better the Chulent.
I use short ribs and a few marrow bones
4 potatoes
1 onion sliced
1 cup beans
1 cup barley
Nice squirt of ketchup
Salt (1-2 tablespoon)
Garlic powder
Paprika (maybe 1-2 teaspoon)
black pepper

Pretty much that's it. Cook on high from about 11am till shabbos and then I move it to low.

Edited because I forgot about beans and barley Smile

Last edited by m+m on Mon, Jul 11 2016, 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:31 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
Just to make you aware, putting up a cholent right before shabbos is problematic because, according to halacha it has to be cooked by the time shabbos starts.

Actually, at the time shabbos starts, the food has to be either
1. 2/3rd cooked
2. completely raw

madys

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Actually, at the time shabbos starts, the food has to be either
1. 2/3rd cooked
2. completely raw

^^^ this
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus