Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Reusing baby food jars

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:19 pm
Does anyone know if I can jar my homemade baby food in the store bought baby jars?
I have a few of those baby food jars at home that I'll be using up shortly and I'd like to make my own and store them in those jars.
Anyone?

busydev

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:53 pm
Yes you can. You may need to toivel the jars tho.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:43 pm
Thanks busydev!
Have you done this? Just curious...

busydev

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:53 pm
I have. the stuff I saved fresh I did in the jars. but most puree I made I froze in ice cubes and then put into a ziplock and defrosted what I needed as I needed. remember home made wont have preservatives so freezing is smart if its going to last more then a couple days.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:55 pm
You can definitely reuse the jars. I reuse glass jars all the time (from pasta sauce and stuff). Wash them well, especially in the crevices under the lid. Dishwashers do a good job (jar on top rack, lid in silverware basket).

I assume you mean storing homemade baby food in the refrigerator. I wouldn't use them for canning or freezing. For those applications, buy special canning jars.

Jars are also useful for storing homemade spice mixes, small amounts of leftover sauce, salad dressing, and yogurt (my baby never eats a whole container). Or, small non foods such as paper clips, twist ties, rubber bands, Bobby pins, loose powder from a broken makeup compact, etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:58 pm
Thanks so much for your help!
I'm trying to figure out if I can ball jar pureed veggies in those jars the same way I jar my compote in the big ball jars for weeks or months.
I need it to be able to give to babysitter and when I go away for weekends.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for your help!
I'm trying to figure out if I can ball jar pureed veggies in those jars the same way I jar my compote in the big ball jars for weeks or months.
I need it to be able to give to babysitter and when I go away for weekends.

No, you can't.

Jars used for commercially prepared foods are not suitable for home canning.

You can purchase 1/2 cup canning jars that use standard wide-mouth lids and rings.

Be sure to follow modern recipes designed for the food you are canning. Many vegetables require pressure canning, a very different process than you probably use for compote.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:46 pm
I read somewhere that if you boil the jars and their lids, and then put thee food inside, close thee jar and let it cool, then the button will "pop down". You can then save it and store it at room temperature.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
I read somewhere that if you boil the jars and their lids, and then put thee food inside, close thee jar and let it cool, then the button will "pop down". You can then save it and store it at room temperature.

I am a dietitian with food safety expertise.

DO NOT reuse jars in this way. It is unsafe, to put it mildly.

You may hear a pop, and the lid may feel secure, but it is NOT shelf-stable.

Canning lids may never be reused.

Making the food shelf-stable requires heating to a particular temperature for a specified amount of time. Many vegetables require pressure equipment for canning. Any home-canning process requires jars that can withstand the elements. Jars from store-bought food are not adequate, and replacement lids are not available.

Just don't do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics