Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Re the other shooting thread
Previous  1  2

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:04 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
This is probably pointless to explain here, but there are members of the black community who feel that large scale disruption and revolution is the reasonable next step....

And what are your feelings about the sovereign citizen movement? Those are their goals and their activities get far less press than BLM even though the US govt keeps arresting their bombers and militants.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
Were there thousands of peaceful protests?

I can't state numbers, but yes, there were all kinds of peaceful vigils and protests going on at that time, totaling a much larger group of people than the ones involved in the riots. However, as soon as you have one group that 'feels forced to use violence because otherwise no one will listen', no one really cares about the peaceful ones anymore. The violent protesters are the reason people are scared. It's a catch 22. Does stating that violent protesters perpetuate black prejudice make me racist? I can't even imagine how this can be compared to shooting a terrorist who is in middle of stabbing innocent pedestrians.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
Seeing that this thread is amother enabled, its about to get racist as heck. Just sayin.

No, what will happen is that people will ask naive, blunt, or ill-informed questions. However, rather than answering them using evidence and legitimate argumentation techniques, a lot of self-satisfied Imamothers will start shrieking, "Racist!"

Of course, this will do nothing to persuade or inform the person asking the questions, but it will give a lot of Imamothers the opportunity to express how disgusted they are and pat themselves on the back for being such fine people.

It will also effectively take off the table any legitimate conversations about how we might combat racism in our community (aside from the aforementioned shrieking) or how we can best support other communities in productive, appropriate ways.

Because, remember, the goal is not to make things better. It's to show what good people we are.

fmt4

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:34 pm
Fox wrote:
No, what will happen is that people will ask naive, blunt, or ill-informed questions. However, rather than answering them using evidence and legitimate argumentation techniques, a lot of self-satisfied Imamothers will start shrieking, "Racist!"

Of course, this will do nothing to persuade or inform the person asking the questions, but it will give a lot of Imamothers the opportunity to express how disgusted they are and pat themselves on the back for being such fine people.

It will also effectively take off the table any legitimate conversations about how we might combat racism in our community (aside from the aforementioned shrieking) or how we can best support other communities in productive, appropriate ways.

Because, remember, the goal is not to make things better. It's to show what good people we are.

I'm fine with blunt, ill- informed questions by people who truly are ignorant and want to know more. That's very different than people who are obviously ignorant yet claim to know all the (racist) answers.

Oh and here is a beautiful video of a peaceful protest which ends in hugs between BLM and a counter protest.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2.....33054

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a caucasian and I've been involved in my communities BLM since it's inception. I feel that within the frum community and America at large the only recognition given to the BLM movement is when demonstrations hit the headlines. Factually each community BLM is involved on many different levels. Some people are working for police reforms, others are involved in the public school systems engaging students and community on a much larger discussion of racism. Others engage institutions, such as employers and businesses to work together to find a means to ending institutional racism.

While BLM started in 2013 with the acquittal of George Zimmerman, it only began to receive national attention with their absurd protest of the acquittal of white police officer Darren Wilson after he killed a dangerous black man, Michael Brown who was charging at him. The BLM movement claimed Wilson murdered Brown because he was a racist white cop. The facts and evidence meant nothing to BLM. In spite of the evidence, they demanded an immediate arrest of Wilson. Even U.S. attorney general Eric Holder acknowledged that Brown was killed in self defense. They also demand "To decrease law enforcement spending at the local, state, and national level". So they claim to believe that if only there were FEWER cops patrolling these neighborhoods, there would be less crime. Like I said on the other thread, the #1 cause of death among young black males is murder by other black males. The BLM would like to DECREASE police presence. We all know that if theoretically implemented, it would certainly get more blacks killed. So in a weird way, BLM is about as anti black as you could get. Their demands would lead to more crime and murder. Now I know, they also promote education, jobs, ect, but I for one can't take them seriously based on the Michael Brown case and their demand for less police.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:36 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
Even Jews that lived through the Holocaust did not lose the ties to their language, religion, culture and family the way that African slaves did. It's hard to imagine that much cultural destruction and it's shameful how quickly, we, who should know better, can dismiss or ignore those effects.

Totally OT, but as the grandchild of holocaust survivors, this is EXACTLY how I feel about the holocaust - it totally caused me to lose ties to the language, culture, and even some aspects of religion, and most of all, family. So I strongly disagree with this statement - in fact, no one ever expressed to me how I feel about my loss as well as this.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:44 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I'm fine with blunt, ill- informed questions by people who truly are ignorant and want to know more. That's very different than people who are obviously ignorant yet claim to know all the (racist) answers.

Can I ask if you have teenagers? That's a working definition of a teenager or young adult!

I rarely meet anyone who admits he/she doesn't have all the answers on a particular topic, including myself. Most of us are not naturally open-minded, and a lot of us don't know what we don't know.

When you say that you are only willing to engage with people who acknowledge their own ignorance, you are basically saying that you only want to engage with people who will allow you to tell them what you think without challenging you.

That's good work if you can get it, and it is clearly the educational approach of choice at DePaul University.

Information that leads to racist conclusions can and should be refuted with facts and evidence, not shrieking.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:46 pm
The LA riots and the Crown Heights pogrom both took place when I was a teenager.

Despite the time that has elapsed my opinion of the black community formed back then as a result hasn't significantly changed.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 1:04 pm
People will take personal experiences and interject into their perceptions.

- antisemitism - MY DH rents apt buildings. Once he had a women come to rent and she had been cheated in her last building by a Jew wearing a yarmulka. She called my DH some names and wouldn't rent from him. I don't blame her. her perception of Jews was set by one person.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 1:15 pm
The LA riots and Crown Heights pogrom weren't committed by one person. You need an enormous amount of people to riot.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 1:06 pm
Here's an excellent post about crime statistics, fear, the media, and REALITY.

http://www.freerangekids.com/t.....imes/

Long story short, the graph at the bottom sums it up beautifully.

Remember, a society who lives in fear, especially fear of each other, is easily controlled and manipulated. We forget who is pulling the puppet strings, because we're too preoccupied.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." ~ The Great and Powerful Oz

cbsp

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 10:10 pm
Interesting article about BLM and their support of BDS:

http://www.gatestoneinstitute......tings

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 12:18 am
I was thinking about this thread today after hearing about the murders in Baton Rouge.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics