Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How do I start!?!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 11:53 am
im off this summer and I am enjoying every second of it
I made myself a major TO DO list of stuff to reorganize and re do throughout my entire house!
I just can't start!!
I made the list well over 1.5 weeks ago and I haven't done one thing!! embarrassed

any suggestions??

Pooh

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:07 pm
By reading the life changing magic of tidying up by Marie kondo. The book will guide u to a clean, clutter free and organized home! And now is the time to do it since ur off. Happy cleaning

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:34 pm
Start with your sock drawer and work your way up from there.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:41 pm
take out a calendar of the month of July. put one organization "job" in each box. skip a day if needed. also, don't do too much in one day. I wouldn't do a whole room at once. rather one dresser today. tomorrow the night stand and armoire. another day your closet and shoes.
don't think into what to do first, just jump into whatever you're in the mood of at that moment.
make sure to enjoy your summer...

SingALong

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:41 pm
When I make a list I break it down into rooms, and then into different parts of the room
Like:

Kitchen:
Pantry
Desk
Tupperware cabinet

Girls room
Closet
Draws
Desk
Toy shelves

Then1 week will be kitchen. One day pantry, 1 day desk, etc. it's not more than 1/2 hour task per day so it's not so overwhelming and it's doable. It take a lot of time but slowly I make it through my list. I also give myself spaces of time foursome thing unexpected that may one up like sick kid or something.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Start with your sock drawer and work your way up from there.

haha that wasn't even on my list!! LOL

Miri7

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:11 pm
When I'm organizing, I follow what the other posters have said and do one dresser/shelf or small thing at once. I also have one box or bag for things to donate, one for trash, and then a laundry basket (or smaller) for items that go somewhere else in the house.

I can do one or two areas, then take the "somewhere else" basket and walk around the house room to room putting things away. This is a lot more efficient for me than taking each item one at at time around the house. If I do that, then I will lose focus as I walk around the house putting each item away one at a time. With the "somewhere else" basket, I can keep my focus on one area at a time.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:25 pm
Same here. I didn't start checking off my list yet. The first thing on my to do list is "make a list". Then you cross that off. You did that already. So your off to a good start. Applause

I have many suggestions that I've collected over the years. Being that I haven't followed through on any of them yet I can't tell you if it works. Good luck.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:38 pm
I like to do big projects/areas and work on each one till it's done. I organize by making a big mess on the floor/bed/counter with everything from the room and going through it all to first get rid of stuff, then sort what's left, and then put everything neatly back.
Won't work for everyone because it makes chaos while you're working, but I find that the mess gives me a reason to just plow through it and it's hard to ignore. And it helps to see everything you have (talks about that in the Marie Kondo book mentioned above) and puts the amount of stuff in perspective - chances are you have way too much stuff. Get rid of a big portion of it all - there's no way you use everything - and keeping it organized will be much easier in the future and your house will feel lighter and more peaceful.
Just start with something - one thing will lead to the next. I think clothes are a good place to start. Do it first thing in the morning to get your day off to a productive start and have fun!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:40 pm
I organize my home each summer when I am off. I do one room each week. About an hour each morning. I start in each room with the spot that drives me the most crazy, and continue from there.

ticklemepink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:47 pm
Start small. If you go in and start with your whole closet or try to do more than one part of a room at once it becomes very overwhelming and exhausting. Aim to do one-two things a day and if you skip a day don't fret. You need to enjoy your summer too!

abatherapist

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:54 pm
im a huge procrastinator esp when the job is big! I get things done by setting something aside (a new book, video, chocolate) and rewarding myself after the job is done. good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics