Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Worried about the 9 days
1  2  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:21 pm
I can't believe I'm the one asking this, I always used to roll my eyes at people who can't go a week without fleishigs and make a whole to-do about what to eat during the 9 days. Well, joke's on me and I am now pre-diabetic and now eat at least one fleishig meal a day as part of a strict diet. I don't eat any fish. I have to be low carb, so pasta, pizza, lasagna and the like are out. I could eat some egg based meals, but I already eat eggs every morning for breakfast. What can I eat for that week so I won't be starving all the time?

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:29 pm
Can you do soy? tofu?

There are some wonderful zucchini dishes that substitute for pasta--I've done "zoodle" lasagna, ravioli, and I've seen recipes for "zoodle" lo mein--which can be made pareve.

veggie burgers? Cauliflower crust pizza/quiche?

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:33 pm
Ask your rav if you may eat poultry, which, technically, is not meat.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:39 pm
Wondering what to eat as well since I'm newly allergic to dairy, can't eat soy , and I'm on a strict candida diet. So all starchy veggies, pasta, rice, all fruits are out.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:48 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Wondering what to eat as well since I'm newly allergic to dairy, can't eat soy , and I'm on a strict candida diet. So all starchy veggies, pasta, rice, all fruits are out.

Curious, I've seen similar diets allow "low GI" fruits such as green apples and berries.

What about beans? Brown rice? Quinoa? non-soy legume proteins?

What about low starch vegetables? summer squash?

When you have special diets, always ask a shaila.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:52 pm
Thanks. I already do eat zoodles, but as a side dish, I'd need a lot of zucchini to make it a main course. I also do tofu stir fry a lot, usually have some strips of chicken in there, not sure how filling it will be without (I suppose I could just substitute with extra tofu). Not a fan of Veggie burgers. Cauliflower crust pizza is actually something I've been meaning to try for awhile, so thanks for reminding me.
Zaq- I was thinking of asking for a heter to eat chicken, but I'm not sure I'll really qualify. I mean, yes, I have a legitimate health concern, and a week of lasagna would be bad for me, but neither would it chv send me to the hospital.

mille

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:56 pm
Not eating meat on the 9 days is a minhag, so you may want to ask your rabbi about any leniency due to your diet. AFAIK there's especially room for leniency before shavua shechal bo, the week of tisha b'av, which is Sunday this year (and therefore there's only one day, tisha b'av, in that week). But I'm not a rabba, so please ask your local orthodox rabbi for advice!

boysrus

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 1:24 pm
not sure how accurate that is this year, mille, I know that there are definitely differences of opinion over this. Most poskim hold that shavua shechol bo begins at the beginning of the week before tisha b;av, because actaully tisha b'av this year is on shabbos. Only we fast on sunday instead, it is nidcheh.

even so, I think it is very possible that the OP will be given a leniency to eat chicken as it is poultry, not 'real' meat. Op, why not ask your Rabbi?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 1:36 pm
It does sound like it's worth asking, so I will. I guess if had actual diabetes I would for sure ask, but since I don't (only have the precursor) I figured that might not really count. But enough of you think I have a decent chance at getting some leniency, so I will ask. Dh suggested I find a siyum to attend every night, lol.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 2:50 pm
OP, can you eat nuts? Raw almonds are excellent for balancing out blood sugar, and a handful to snack on will keep you from craving meat.

My DH is as machmir as they come, and he firmly believes that it's no mitzva to turn up your nose at a leniency if you qualify for it. Because of my health issues, I don't fast at all, ever. (I got a heter from a very big rav in NYC, who reviewed all of my medications and medical records.)

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 2:55 pm
Can you have quinoa? Beyond meat is soy free

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:18 pm
not supposed to have nuts, though I do cheat w/ them.
no beans or legumes, no corn, no rice, a bit of quinoa is ok but too much makes my stomach sick. I tried brown rice, was no good for me. oat flour seems to be ok for now.
yes green apples are ok, other fruit make me gassy and crampy.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. I already do eat zoodles, but as a side dish, I'd need a lot of zucchini to make it a main course. I also do tofu stir fry a lot, usually have some strips of chicken in there, not sure how filling it will be without (I suppose I could just substitute with extra tofu). Not a fan of Veggie burgers. Cauliflower crust pizza is actually something I've been meaning to try for awhile, so thanks for reminding me.
Zaq- I was thinking of asking for a heter to eat chicken, but I'm not sure I'll really qualify. I mean, yes, I have a legitimate health concern, and a week of lasagna would be bad for me, but neither would it chv send me to the hospital.

I've made the zoodle ravioli and it's actually really easy--the slicing with the peeler is annoying, but tolerable and I find it very filling as well.
What about a baked eggplant parmesean?
We use lentils instead of ground beef and make tacos, "sloppy joes", and I think you can do "meatloaf" and meatless-chilli as well.

I happen to love the Prager's California burgers more than most veggie burgers--have you tried those?

Can you do butternut/acorn squash?
Can you look up "paleo" recipes? I'm sure a lot of them would be good.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:39 pm
Ask!
Rabbanim have given heterim for those that must eat meat/poultry for health reasons.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:43 pm
FF- nuts are my go-to snack, along with fruit (I'm allowed fruit as long as it's along with a sugar stabilizing food).
Miami, those are some good ideas. Yeah I've tried the doctor pragers. I dunno, I just can't seem to like a burger that isn't a big juicy hunk of meat.

mille

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:07 pm
boysrus wrote:
not sure how accurate that is this year, mille, I know that there are definitely differences of opinion over this. Most poskim hold that shavua shechol bo begins at the beginning of the week before tisha b;av, because actaully tisha b'av this year is on shabbos. Only we fast on sunday instead, it is nidcheh.

even so, I think it is very possible that the OP will be given a leniency to eat chicken as it is poultry, not 'real' meat. Op, why not ask your Rabbi?

Fair point, which is why it's worth asking a rabbi! Either way, it's a minhag not halacha - so there surely is some leniency.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:22 pm
Why not fish? Are you allergic or just don't know how to cook? You have lentils, chickpeas, black beans pinto beans, green soybeans, tofu, tempeh. Plenty of alternative protein sources.

lefty1

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:22 pm
Cottage cheese, yogurt, zuchinni lasagna, non-breaded eggplant parmesan. Can you eat quinoa?

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
FF- nuts are my go-to snack, along with fruit (I'm allowed fruit as long as it's along with a sugar stabilizing food).
Miami, those are some good ideas. Yeah I've tried the doctor pragers. I dunno, I just can't seem to like a burger that isn't a big juicy hunk of meat.

If you can eat it, and tolerate it, I actually think the idea of the 9 days is not to eat really great and yummy food. I love steak and meat too and also eat a lot of it but come the 9 days I know I'll be eating less yummy food then usual. I'm on a diet so hardly eat any cheese so it will definitely be hard. Lentils and beans can be quite appetising if you know how to cook them.

Obviously if you can't eat dairy or nuts or soya or lentils or beans then ask for a heter. No one should starve! But it sounds like you can eat some of those things, you just don't love them.

I don't know if you can get them where you live but the tival schnitzles are really quite delicious imo.

I have a veggie friend who basically lives on eggs and cheese on pesach. She avoids eggs for a couple of weeks beforehand.

Also, there are 2 shabbosim in the 9 days this year. That means only 5 days that you can't have a fleishig supper.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
I can't believe I'm the one asking this, I always used to roll my eyes at people who can't go a week without fleishigs and make a whole to-do about what to eat during the 9 days. Well, joke's on me and I am now pre-diabetic and now eat at least one fleishig meal a day as part of a strict diet. I don't eat any fish. I have to be low carb, so pasta, pizza, lasagna and the like are out. I could eat some egg based meals, but I already eat eggs every morning for breakfast. What can I eat for that week so I won't be starving all the time?

I stay away from animal protein in general as well as flour and sugar. following are my staples.
avocado, quinoa, buckwheat, veggies, fruits, beans, lentils, nuts. dont know which works for you but one of my favorite meals is quinoa with salad consisting of avocado, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, purple onion, squeezed lemon, oil and salt.
I snack a lot on chick peas. (cook bulk and freeze in little bags)
buckwheat and cottage cheese is also very filling. thought I started eating it with avocado so I can omit the cheese.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note