Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Worried about the 9 days
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:45 pm
Quinoa is not low carb. I do like it but generally eat it as a side, not a main. I have to measure it out, just like I do with pasta (though I can eat a larger helping of Quinoa than pasta).

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
I was thinking of asking for a heter to eat chicken, but I'm not sure I'll really qualify.

That's why it's called ASKING a shailah, not PASKENING for yourself. If you ask and the rav says no, what have you lost? You're abstaining anyway. OTOH, if he says yes,you're ahead of the game.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:53 am
I know someone who has a heter for red meat during the nine days.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:37 am
amother wrote:
dh suggested I find a siyum to attend every night, lol.

That's actually a good solution. There are online siyumim nightly that u can tune in to.

naomi2

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 8:44 am
a minhag is not worth turning prediabetic into full blown diabetes.
please ask a lenient rav your health is a "steak"

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 11:35 am
a week of eating lasagna can definitely affect your health. You are pre diabetic. Please don't mess around with this. You might not end up in the hospital but you will be spiking your sugar for at least 7 days straight. NOT HEALTHY AT ALL. Please call a rabbi and ask if you can eat chicken.

Miri7

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:31 pm
Some ideas:

Tempeh - sauté strips or cubes of it in a bit of oil and soy sauce. Very filling protein
Hearty lentil soup
Beans and rice
Hearty salad with garbanzo beans and avocado maybe with hard boiled egg or tofu cubes on top

Lots of leafy greens (male or spinach) and beets for iron.

Why no fish? Are you allergic? I eat a lot of salads with grilled, poached or baked salmon on top. My DH makes great ceviche and we will have it probably twice during the 9 days. We will also have salmon burgers and my kids love salmon baked in teriyaki sauce or with a miso glaze. It's super easy but we are tired of fish by the end.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:43 pm
I have a very strong aversion fish, I just can't eat it. Even if it's prepared well, not fishy, etc I can't eat it.
In any event, I spoke to the Rav at length and he said for the future I can eat chicken until shavua she'chal Bo, however that won't be any help this year since it falls on Shabbos, so the whole week is shavua she'chal Bo. However, that also means that really there are only 5 days I can't have at least one meat meal as there are 2 shabbosim. He said it sounds like there's enough of what I CAN eat that I can make it work for 5 days and also since I live in a large, NY area community, there are lots of local siyumim happening that I can go to. I think it would be hard to go every day, as I have small kids, but I could make it happen on 1 or 2 days and that leaves only 3 or 4 days I have to figure out, and I think I got enough ideas here that it should not be too difficult.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note