Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
2 DIAPER BAGS?!
1  2  Next

ticklemepink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:32 pm
I'm expecting my first baby soon and somehow DH and I started to discuss and disagree about diaper bags. I want a diaper bag that looks like a purse (I found a JJ COLE one that I love) and DH wants a messenger bag/backpack/manly diaper bag. IMO I will have the diaper bag at least 90% of the time and there will only be 5-10% of the time he would have it without me there. I think it's stupid to get 2 just to have a more manly version. Its seems so unnecessary! Vent over

Miri7

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:38 pm
We went for a neutral-ish one the first time. It looked like a diaper bag, but was in a light blue color that DH was happy to carry. That one eventually wore out, and now we have just a normal messenger-type bag from the outdoor store (I think the brand is Timbuktu). I like this way better than the diaper bags and so does DH. And it's a lot cheaper than a diaper bag. I personally think that diaper bags are a huge rip off. So, I would just get one messenger-type bag....

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:41 pm
I hate shlepping a diaper bag. I keep diapers and wipes in the trunk of the car and an extra sippy cup. Otherwise I just grab a few diapers and wipes and put in my purse for the day.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:44 pm
I'm also not a diaper bag person. I find it another thing to carry, organize, and pack. I have a large purse and keep a diaper, small bag with wipes and extra paci in there.
I keep a pkg of diapers, wipes and extra undershirt in the car.
the hospital many times will give you a diaper bag that perhaps would be suitable for your DH.

When sending to a babysitter I need a bag but its not what I'd carry always with me - I keep it separate as the "baby's knapsack".

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 7:00 pm
Does your hospital give out a diaper bag? If so that may solve your problem. I personally have found that having more than one--different sizes, is helpful. Especially if your child will be going to a babysitter.--even one that comes to your house for times she takes your baby to the park or just having everything conveniently located That way you can have one packed with "babysitting essentials"--I.e. change of clothes, formula, baby food, bowl &spoon, pacifier, extra blanket/receiving blanket etc. Or even a separate diaper bag for when you need to clean one and then it has to air dry. One for vacations or longer day-trips. I wouldn't say get another expensive one, but a more neutral less expensive one will come in handy. And like other posters have eluded to, within a year , year and a half, you can get by with much less so a small one is all you need.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 7:01 pm
I think this is a stupid thing to fight about. Each of you get what you want, and move on.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 7:19 pm
Maybe buy a cheap backpack and another diaper bag.
I'm also having my first baby soon bzh, reminds me that I need to buy a diaper bag!!!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 7:30 pm
I bought a Jansport carry bag that lasted through 6kids. I still use it to schlep stuff. Your basic navy blue, and Jansport does guarantee for life. I've never had a problem with it in over 30 years.

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 11:37 pm
sky wrote:
I'm also not a diaper bag person. I find it another thing to carry, organize, and pack. I have a large purse and keep a diaper, small bag with wipes and extra paci in there.
I keep a pkg of diapers, wipes and extra undershirt in the car.

I do the same thing. But I agree with one of the other posters, if you're going to get a bag, each of you get one if it means that much to you that you want a specific style. It's like any other bag or piece of clothing or whatever. He really might not feel comfortable using the one that you want so badly.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:22 am
Right now it's my purse. 2 diapers, wipes, pacifier and burp cloth don't take up much space. Even an extra stretchy doesn't add much.
If you will be using formula and when baby starts food, then you'll need more space.
Get a cute, but spacious purse, and get DH a mini messenger bag.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:27 am
I have two, but for a different reason (a backpack one for when I wear the baby, and a messenger style that clips on to the stroller). Neither were chosen for style. Not something worth making a big deal out of. Get cheap versions of both if you want. Keep in mind, two diaper bags= double the supply stocking (making sure each has diapers, wipes, spare clothes, etc). That can be a pain.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:40 am
I'd get both, I imagine the manly one would be less expensive so buy that one as cheap as possible. Make sure yours isn't too feminine as well. Pack yours with all the things you'll need as you'll be using it most of the time/ I almost guarantee that your DH will not be bothered to re-pack everything into his bag, and if he does, that's his choice, at least you wouldn't have wasted lots of money.

little_mage

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:35 am
I have two diaper bags just for me. I use mine as my purse-I'm not carrying around two bags, so I have my wallet and stuff in there. We also cloth diaper, so they take up more space then a disposable. One bag is for everyday, and one is for Shabbat. After one too many times of not having my wallet after taking it out or forgetting to take it out, I decided it was easier to just have two. I don't think it's a big deal to get one for each of you if money isn't an issue.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 8:59 am
Teomima wrote:
two diaper bags= double the supply stocking (making sure each has diapers, wipes, spare clothes, etc). That can be a pain.

I think each person should be responsible for his/her bag, then it isn't as much of a pain to have to remember to keep both of them stocked.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 10:09 am
lucky14 wrote:
I think each person should be responsible for his/her bag, then it isn't as much of a pain to have to remember to keep both of them stocked.

Ideally, of course! Realistically, well.....

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 10:15 am
I find the diaper bag to be more of the woman's thing just because she generally spends the most time with it.
Unless your husband is a stay at home dad or will be doing babysitter drop off pick up and all other baby related stuff then let him choose otherwise, really, there are way more important things to fight over.

Personally I keep a spare sleepsuit, diaper, wipes and diaper sacks in the bottom of my stroller and another in my pocketbook (I always have large ones). Everything else gets tucked in around.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 10:18 am
Teomima wrote:
Ideally, of course! Realistically, well.....

True, every fam is different. It'd work in my house. Smile

Shuly

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:36 pm
Get whichever one will hang better on the stroller.

Most people don't wear diaper bags, they hang them from their stroller.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:54 pm
Why not split your budget in half so you can each get a suitable bag? You'll find "diaper bags" are a lot cheaper when it's just a regular purse or messenger bag as opposed to an actual diaper bag. Something with extra compartments and spacious, but you really don't need to schlep around that much. Diapers and wipes, obviously, an extra outfit (plus extra sweater in the winter) a nursing cover if you're nursing (which can double as a burp cloth) or a bottle or 2 if you're not. I like to joke that that the way you can tell a first timer is by how stuffed her diaper bag is! By the time you have 3 plus, you're lucky if you remember the diapers LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:04 pm
Get yourself a nice, big, affordable purse or bag, and let DH get what he wants (unless it's crazy expensive.)

Men often feel left out of the whole "new baby" thing. Everyone is going to be making a fuss about you and the new addition, and dads always get looked over.

A nice "daddy bag" could help him feel more involved, and it would be a treat for him. Get him one that can be used as a laptop carrier in between kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics