Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What am I?
1  2  Next

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 5:10 am
What job profession should I look into?

After being a SAHM for 9 years, I decided that I need to work. I've been thinking about my strengths and interests.
I may need training or a degree. (Besides, we need money)
After looking at what I have come up with, please help me with suggestions to make this work.

I enjoy the challenge of getting the most out of many restrictions.
I enjoy working with someone toward a goal.
I am creative.
I sew.
I like to draw and draft.
I like to find precise language to express clearly. Finding the right word in English, translating from Hebrew and yeshivish is a fun challenge.
I like to work for an energetic optimistic person.
If I like the environment, I am motivated and very productive
If I see a place for things, I can organize it. Specifically, a lack of organization in running a small business or organization.
Too big intimidates me right now.
I don't want to market my own product.
I am not self motivating on my own, but with a partner, I can soar.
I do better under pressure, with an open schedule, I get lazy.
I have an eye for colors and aesthetics.

My first ideas are the following;
Interior design, decorating
Clothing and accessory design and prototype creation.

I designed my kitchen and bathrooms and really enjoyed it. I am really happy how they came out. I would even want to buy another house to do it again- Very Happy
When I tried to be part of N'shei, I had great ideas and goals. I quit since "the powers that be" shot down everything I suggested. I wanted it run as a business with a budget and goals, they weren't interested in such organization. Oh well.
I made some headbands for my baby and really enjoyed it.

So what do you think! Tongue Out

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 8:30 am
As I read your post, interior design came to mind immediately. Specialties that might work for you include working for a company that sells closet systems (I don't think you need specific training for that) and, if you can master 3D CAD, kitchen and bath cabinets. I do space planning (self-employed, my own business) and it's my passion!

If you can handle being self-employed and want to build your own business, becoming a professional organizer may be a possibility. Many people need help with finding places to put their stuff and also with time management. The field is new enough and fluid enough that I don't think there are currently any recognized certifications.

You also describe business organizational skills. Becoming an office manager might work, it's a regular paycheck, and sometimes jobs like that have upward mobility if you show skill and ambition, e.g., by progressively working for larger companies and/or getting a degree in business.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 9:18 am
Organizer would be great, but I can't get my own house in order. It's hard to motivate myself. I know exactly what to do. Just having someone talking to me as I do stuff makes it get done.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:41 pm
Bump for more ideas and suggestions.
A job offer gets double points!

ceebee

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:54 pm
Party or event planner

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:57 pm
I have a friend who started a successful millinery shop. I think she has an art or design undergrad but she learned how to design and sew through a sewing group. She designs high-end hats (think Ascot) and sells on-line and local boutiques, but now she mostly does custom made hats for simchas.

polka dots

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:17 pm
today's days lots of demands for graphic designers and Web designers. there are also courses to give you proper training but are a lot easier than going for degree. there is a need for beginners that charge less and as yoi get better you can go to higher end costumers.
You can work for someone or take your own clients. You can schedule clients according to how bz you want to be.
Hatzlacha

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:58 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I have a friend who started a successful millinery shop. I think she has an art or design undergrad but she learned how to design and sew through a sewing group. She designs high-end hats (think Ascot) and sells on-line and local boutiques, but now she mostly does custom made hats for simchas.

This is a good idea if you can learn to do it well. You won't have much competition.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 7:25 pm
Actually even if you are disorganized for yourself, you could probably do well a an organizer assuming it is of interest. I am completely different with work related stuff than personal stuff.

Millinery is a wonderful thing even if a side option. I have a seriously large head to the point that no hats fit and so I was doing a search for custom millinery on the Internet and the good designers are able to charge a lot.

I remember going with my Bubbe to Lord and Taylor's back in the day when they had a whole hat department and there were different sized hats.

I think there are some fantastic hat stores in African American neighborhoods because the church ladies still wear beautiful hats as part f their culture.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 7:08 am
Aside from Ascots (where the wackier the better), my friend sells her hats and very dressy turbans to Muslim ladies. Some of her clients must be rich Gulf Arab families as they pre-order like a dozen turbans at a time.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:11 am
That looks interesting, but I am not self motivating and will burn out quickly if I have to market myself. I'd happily work for someone though.
I'm in Israel and don't plan on changing that.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:24 am
I've heard of people taking a course where they do the work an architect does. Space planning and design, including additions, and then has an architect do the final blue prints and sign off on them.
I know someone taking a course to do this now and in Lakewood a few people do this, they are priced much more reasonable then a regular architect. Those who are good are in high demand.
maybe someone on here would know what it is called and how the certification process goes.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
I've heard of people taking a course where they do the work an architect does. Space planning and design, including additions, and then has an architect do the final blue prints and sign off on them.
I know someone taking a course to do this now and in Lakewood a few people do this, they are priced much more reasonable then a regular architect. Those who are good are in high demand.
maybe someone on here would know what it is called and how the certification process goes.

Please find out more, that looks interesting.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:38 am
What jumped to my mind is something in the field of social media management, SEO, or similar online presence management.

I'm not super-familiar with the Israeli economy, but I would guess that there are a good number of medium- and small-sized companies and start-ups who want to maintain an English online presence but don't have the time to do it themselves. Your role would be to optimize their websites, create blogs or vlogs promoting whatever they do, find ways to attract subscribers/viewers/clicks, and run their Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat, etc., accounts. Your job would overlap somewhat with their existing marketing efforts.

While there might be things you need to learn, it's not the kind of stuff that requires degrees, specialized certification, etc.

You might need to do a little self-marketing initially, but this is more of a situation where you would need to attract clients who would pay you consistently for an ongoing job rather than constantly attracting new purchasers.

Something like this would enable you to use your organizational skills, writing skills, Hebrew/English skills, and even use your visual aesthetic talents to create effective online identities for businesses.

Oh, and you'd have plenty of opportunity to check in on Imamother throughout the day! Smile

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:41 am
I really don't want to spend time on social media if I could help it. Right now imamother is the extent of it for me.
How did that jump out at you?

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
How did that jump out at you?

Your first line about finding ways to problem-solve based on restrictions. That's really what SEO is all about: given how search engines work and what people search for, how can I write text and place it on a website in a way that will bump this site up a notch or two?

I also think online presence management requires a lot of visual skills. Let's say you run a blog for a small company. You not only have to produce the content somehow and master whatever technical skills are involved in throwing it out there, you also have to bring a certain aesthetic sense to the whole thing. The web is a very visual medium, and even primarily text-based information has to be presented with that in mind. That's hard for a lot of companies.

When people ask for career ideas, I try to think of things that utilize what they're already doing. Since you're on Imamother, we know that you are probably pretty familiar with the concept of online identity and how online presence is built and managed.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 11:16 am
I hear. I prefer not to be on a computer all the time. Now being home all day with a baby, it entertains me a bit. Actually working would be more enjoyable and wholesome.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 12:02 pm
Didn't read all posts so I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but interior design?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 12:29 pm
I mentioned it in my OP. I don't have the education, but I have the interest.

It's hard, I just decided that I want to make a big change in my life, and I don't know how to make it possible. My baby should be eating food by the time school starts, so I'll be okay sending her out.
I just have no idea where to turn. I would love interior design. I would also love to work on a project in a small group.
I love to put in the work for something and have a beautiful outcome. I recently had that when designing my kitchen and when making a shirt.

I hope I don't sound picky.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:56 am
I found something!
https://www.nyiad.edu/courses/interior-design
I hope it's good!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics