Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this a chutzpah?
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:25 pm
So I sent my son to sleep away camp this year. We paid over $2000 for half a summer. I just got got a call saying that my son needs a camp t-shirt for the trip tomorrow. The t-shirt is $30. I'm thinking for $2000+ you can't include the camp t-shirt? And if for whatever reason you cant, (not that there's any reason) can they at least sell it at a fair price? What do you ladies think?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:34 pm
Wow. Just wow.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:34 pm
Yep, sounds crazy.

CPenzias

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:37 pm
They're already not fair. $2000 for one month is a lot of money in my opinion

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:47 pm
Pigs

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:47 pm
Wait - they tell you NOW that he needs a shirt TOMORROW? That seems in itself to be not normal. Why was this not part of the initial deal? And why is the shirt $30? Is it made out of gold? I hate when camps nickle and dime people.

animeme

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:53 pm
IME, $2000 is reasonable for mainstream sleep away camps. But I do believe that shirts should be provided, or bundled in at payment time so you know what you're dealing with.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:06 pm
Does the tee-shirt say, "I paid $2000 for this camp and all I got was a $30 bill for this lousy tee-shirt?"

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:13 pm
animeme wrote:
IME, $2000 is reasonable for mainstream sleep away camps. But I do believe that shirts should be provided, or bundled in at payment time so you know what you're dealing with.

Or purchasing them should be optional.

I was annoyed that my DD got a job at a local daycamp and they made the COUNSELORS pay for a camp tee shirt. It's like a salary deduction, IMVHO.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:18 pm
We had to pay extra for our camp shirt every year. It's about $25-&30 dallors. I think it's the norm. But we where notified before camp.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:22 pm
you are not OBLIGATED to buy the tshirt. perhaps you shouldn't I don't think your kid will be the only one not to buy.
question is if you want your son to be from the minority. that's a whole other discussion.

in any case, yes I think it's a chutzpah. they can let you know before, they can make it optional, they can buy cheaper tees and then give charge you for only half of it. so many options.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:24 pm
My daughter's camp t-shirt is $10.
$30 sounds very very overpriced.
The camp probably pays much less for them.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:25 pm
total chutzpa we bought camp shirts for $10 and we knew before camp what the price for that is

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
you are not OBLIGATED to buy the tshirt. perhaps you shouldn't I don't think your kid will be the only one not to buy.
question is if you want your son to be from the minority. that's a whole other discussion.

in any case, yes I think it's a chutzpah. they can let you know before, they can make it optional, they can buy cheaper tees and then give charge you for only half of it. so many options.

She may be obligated - many camps wont let kids go on trips without a camp shirt. My sons day camp has this policy. If a kid comes withoit a camp shirt, they give you another one on trip day in whatever size they have available, ans then bill you. BUT the initial shirt is part of the camp fee, and they give you ample notice when its a trip day.

tf

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:28 pm
CHUTSPAH is correct. Thy take advantage of their status, and then wonder why there are so many "disgruntled frummies" out there.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:30 pm
Gold, it probably is obligatory. Many camps require the time shirts to be worn on trips. I suppose he can stay home from trips, but I imagine she didn't spend 2000 dollars so he can stay behind (and by G-d, I hope that money includes trips...)
But yes, Op, that is insane. There is no reason in the world for a t shirt to cost 30 bucks, even if it's custom. Lots of organizations order custom tees for events and what not, it shouldn't cost more than 10-12. Also most camps give you one for free (well, as part of the cost of camp, I guess) and only charge you if you lose it and need a new one.

suremom

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:33 pm
$10-15 is usually the range. if its a solid color maybe your son can wear the same color shirt when the rest of the campers do?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:34 pm
Camp T-Shirts should be included.. It is common to nickle and dime for trips and stuff in day camp. With sleep away camps it is self understood that the kids don't have money and that everything is paid for before hand. Is is a chutzpah.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:49 pm
"Over $2,000" is a very reasonable price for a month of sleepaway camp. Camps have a ton of expenses to cover.

I think it's reasonable that they ask parents to pay for a t-shirt, too, but not reasonable for the t-shirt to cost $30. It's not reasonable to inform parents only the night before, but is it possible they mentioned it earlier and your child forgot to tell you? Just a thought.

I think it's inconsiderate, but I doubt they were being deliberately difficult. People in general have a tendency to "see" stuff involving their own job and not realize how difficult they're making things for others.

little_mage

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:07 pm
Actually, I'm wondering if they issued him one previously, and it was lost, so this is a replacement. I agree that $30 seems a little outrageous for a shirt, but if this is the first time you're hearing about it, I suspect that there was already one that went missing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics