Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
26 & grey hair!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 2:57 pm
Im only 26 and seeing too much grey hairs!
I know it's genetic, both parents turned grey very young.
Is there anything to do to stop my hairs from turning white?
whats the easiest, safest home dyeing method to use? I have dark brown/black hair. I cover my hair but I can't stand looking at the mirror with grey streaks! Also DH, keeps on mentioning it, He's worried I'm getting old!
And will hair dye be an issue with chatzitza?
Thanks

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:06 pm
I'm 30 also get grey strands and freaking out gonna watch this thread..

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 3:24 pm
There is nothing to do about it, so you can stop panicking and start coloring Smile It's mostly genetic and doesn't make you older than your age.

Permanent hair dye is not a chatzitzah.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 4:33 pm
Dye your hair. I had grey hair since I'm 20 and I've been dying it since then.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:10 pm
Maya wrote:
There is nothing to do about it, so you can stop panicking and start coloring Smile It's mostly genetic and doesn't make you older than your age.

Permanent hair dye is not a chatzitzah.

Any advice on hair dyes? How do I know which ones are permanent? And how long does it last?
What's the best way to get it done? Do I need to go to a salon, or can I do it myself?
Sorry about the ignorance. My family & friends all shave (chassidish) so this is no concern for them, I have no one IRL to ask.

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
Any advice on hair dyes? How do I know which ones are permanent? And how long does it last?
What's the best way to get it done? Do I need to go to a salon, or can I do it myself?
Sorry about the ignorance. My family & friends all shave (chassidish) so this is no concern for them, I have no one IRL to ask.

Sorry I can't be of great help. I do it professionally at a salon, but I imagine there must be ways to do it yourself, as there are hundreds of colors to choose from at the drug store. Perhaps research which ones are the best, try it one time, and then decide if you want to continue doing at home or not.

oliviablond

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:57 pm
You know, when I noticed a few grey hairs on my head, to say I was desperately desperate is to say nothing:( My hair stylist advised me to get my hair dyed tinting some grey shade to it.
I feel comfy with it:)

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 4:26 pm
I'm 26, gray hair since 21. Only a few so far. Asked my husband if I could dye it, he doesn't think so.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 7:37 pm
I want to dye mine too, but if I don't keep up with it regularly, aren't visible gray roots a chatziza at that point?

Lani22

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 7:41 pm
I believe grey roots are a chatziza if it's something your makpid on. Like if you regularly dye your hair and having roots bothers you then you cannot have roots when going to the mikvah.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 10:42 pm
I have been using L'Oreal Excellence since I married, and am quite happy with it. I got my first while hairs in hs, IIRC.

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:59 am
I highlighted my hair in an expensive salon when I was single. Can't justify it anymore now that I cover my hair, although I leave a lot of hair showing so I keep up the coloring with L'oreal Preference.
I learned that it is not a problem with mikvah at all, as long as you dye 3 days before mikvah.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:31 am
my rav (litvish\yeshivish) said dyeing isn't a problem because there is no substance to it.
I dye at home, it makes a huge mess, and takes about 45 minutes I was very happy with the results

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:40 am
Lani22 wrote:
I believe grey roots are a chatziza if it's something your makpid on. Like if you regularly dye your hair and having roots bothers you then you cannot have roots when going to the mikvah.

This makes absolutely no sense. It's your hair. It can't be a chatzitzah.

Lani22

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:48 am
Maya wrote:

I don't really disagree with you. But this is what my kallah teacher taught me and what my rav has reiterated. I am modern orthodox. I was taught that if I wouldn't be seen in public with my grey roots or that the roots bother me and I dye my hair to cover them then I must dye my hair before going to the mikva. It's best to do it a few days before so that any dye on your scalp is washed off before dipping.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:26 pm
Maya wrote:

Nails can also be a chatziza if you are planning to cut them imminently after mikvah. Same for unwanted body hair.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:40 pm
Lani22 wrote:
I don't really disagree with you. But this is what my kallah teacher taught me and what my rav has reiterated. I am modern orthodox. I was taught that if I wouldn't be seen in public with my grey roots or that the roots bother me and I dye my hair to cover them then I must dye my hair before going to the mikva. It's best to do it a few days before so that any dye on your scalp is washed off before dipping.

I learned the same. I wonder though - I would much rather be seen in public with gray roots than with the long gray hairs I have all over my head right now (which I cover when out of the house). Am I toiveling with a chatziza because I don't dye it yet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics