Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
From what age do boys start using deoderant?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 6:58 am
My oldest kids are boys, at the moment age 10 and 8 1/2. I've not done the talk yet about bodily changes, etc, but think my 10 year old is getting ready - from being the mature one he's become moody and cries at stupid things, and he has mentioned to me that sometimes his nipples have become sensitive, but he used to often touch them (through his shirt) as a sensory thing. His voice has also started to grate on my nerves, becoming high pitched, but maybe that's just his moaning, or my imagination. My next one is 8 1/2 but a hot kid - he's never cold, would like to never wear a coat even in winter, sleeps with a fan, he's also very sporty and sweats. Recently I've been detecting a bit of a whiff sometimes, even though he showers every other day or so. Neither of them is tall (actually shorter end of the spectrum but so are DH and I) or hairy or starting to look like anything other than little boys, but still, I know the day will come. So today I bought them both all-natural, aloe stick deodorants with no smell, and DH thinks I'm nuts and it's way too early. He actually suggested I ask here what others think... Also, older son has a school shabbaton this week, do I give it to him today anyway but let him leave it home so he's not the only one using it, give it to him and tell him to take it with him, or wait till after the Shabbaton?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 9:28 am
All my boys have been using deodorant at 10 years old. If there is a smell no matter the age they need deodorant.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:12 am
I find all my little kids have a distinct sweat smell, for some reason its always stronger on shabbos.
I'm not sure before puberty the deodorant is the correct thing.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:21 am
11 or 12 depending on how mature they are. And even if they haven't matured but all their friends are using deodorant then you would start.
I think your kids are way too young.
If they had started developing by age 8 or 10 then yes give them. But they haven't even started yet? Way too young.

gold21

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:40 am
10-11

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 11:14 am
By 10-11 they start using it. My boys started at 11.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 12:01 pm
I also have two boys close in age. I got my oldest when he was 11, I figured it was something he should get used to using before he has a real need for it. My 9 1/2 ds requested deodorant aslo. He barely uses it, but he feels good owning it.

My boys dont really smell bad yet. They also shower daily.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 2:53 pm
11 regardless if they don't smell - it's called teaching hygiene

unless they need it sooner you have no choice ...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:29 am
If washing is enough why would you use deodorant? Not that it' so healthy... and definitely nothing to do with teaching hygiene.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics