Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Mill basin

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 8:28 pm
I recently heard that yeshivish ppl.are starting to move to mill basin. What is the housing like there? How big is the typical house and how much do they go for? How long is the drive from the frum area to say coney and j. How would u compare and contrast to the midwood area and the marine park area. Tia.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 3:15 am
There's a huge price range in Mill Basin; 3 bedroom frame houses north of Ave U can go for 450k, and there are also plenty of houses well over a $1 million. But if you're looking for a starter home, I'd say you're safe around 500K, give or take, for a semi-detached with 3 decent size bedrooms, full basement, and a backyard.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to coney and J, depending on the traffic leading up to CIA.

Mill Basin is a lot more diverse than Marine Park or Midwood. I grew up in Midwood and I lived in Marine Park when I first got married years ago, and I like Mill Basin much better. Firstly, the area is just prettier and quieter. There are more trees on each block, less foot and street traffic, nicer lawns and backyards, and water a couple of blocks away. I also prefer diversity and not living on a block full of frum jews, but at the same time living in a place with enough jews to make a vibrant community-- and I do mean community. There is a lot more cohesiveness in the Mill Basin community than probably any frum area in Brooklyn.

Last time I checked, Marine Park and Mill Basin were fairly comparable in terms of starter home prices. If you like having a block full of jews and a lot of kosher food options closer to home or within your delivery zone, then Marine Park will be more your speed. If you like, or don't mind, being one of a handful of frum families on your block (and by frum I don't necessarily mean yeshivish-- we have all types here) and are OK as long as you are part of a larger community, then Mill Basin is a good option. If you appreciate the quieter lifestyle and don't mind driving 10 minutes to get to a place with more kosher food and shopping options, then again, Mill Basin might be a good fit.

Feel free to PM me with any follow up questions.

shacn

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:34 am
Are there a lot of young couples there? I'm in my early 20s and considering moving there. I would want to get together with other couples on Shabbos for lunch etc. is it mostly a Jewish neighborhood? Mostly modern?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:50 am
Thanks for your reply. In comparing Marine Park to Mill Basin, the starter house are the same size and price you say but are you getting a bigger yard and easier parking in Mill Basin? Also, would you say that Marine park is more Flatbushy whereas Mill Basin is more simple laid back or is it a similar crowd?

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:11 am
shacn wrote:
Are there a lot of young couples there? I'm in my early 20s and considering moving there. I would want to get together with other couples on Shabbos for lunch etc. is it mostly a Jewish neighborhood? Mostly modern?

Yes there are a lot of young couples. I think it's mostly jewish, but definitely not mostly religious by any stretch of the imagination. However, there are still tons of religious jews, and we have 10 shuls in the Mill Basin and surrounding area.

I think it's mostly modern and traditional, but the younger crowd is more to the right for the most part.

People get together for lunch and this year we started having a once a month young couples kiddush at one of the shuls so everyone could socialize more. There's a mill basin women's whatsapp group that you could be added to in order to meet more people as well.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your reply. In comparing Marine Park to Mill Basin, the starter house are the same size and price you say but are you getting a bigger yard and easier parking in Mill Basin? Also, would you say that Marine park is more Flatbushy whereas Mill Basin is more simple laid back or is it a similar crowd?

Check the current prices. It could be that Marine Park has even gone up and Mill Basin is cheaper. But at the very least you're getting the same size house and yard, and oftentimes the yard in MB is bigger. When I lived in Marine Park, parking wasn't difficult so I'd say that's also comparable (but check bc most houses in MB come with a driveway or carport, not sure how MP compares).

Yes, Marine Park is definitely more "flatbushy." I think some people who live there won't agree, but having lived in both places, I can say that the crowds are not at all alike. Mill Basin is definitely more laid back. It's a good community for someone who likes the idea of living OOT, but needs/wants to stay in Brooklyn for whatever reason.

mommyfirst

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 2:20 pm
Pretty sure Marine Park prices have gone up considerably compared to Mill Basin. A nice sized 3 bedroom in Marine Park is in the 600s at least. In Mill Basin I believe you can get the equivalent for 100k less.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating