Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help- I'm ruining my beautiful wood floor

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 3:55 am
How do you clean your wooden floor? I have hardwood floors throughout the house - when we moved in they were beautiful but now, a year later, they look all scratched up. They are in high use areas including my kitchen so they need to be frequently cleaned. I had been using a bit of murphy's oil and water. What do you suggest?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 4:06 am
Yup, normal, I should show you mine! It has nothing to do with cleanliness or soap, the finish gets scratched up over time. The dirty hidden secret about hardwood floors.

They need to be periodically refinished and re-coated to make them look stunning all the time. Expensive.

Furniture pads underneath chairs and tables, instituting a "no-shoes" rule in the house (to prevent small stones from getting tracked in and messing up the floor), and forbidding riding toys inside can all help slow down the process of scratching. (FTR, I currently do none of the above.)

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:35 am
I clean my floors with vinegar and water. It is good for wood floors.

tf

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:52 am
That's why I chose ceramic tiles. They are only expensive up front, and are gorgeous. All the talk about being dangerous? In the few years I have it, I never had an incident. I use blankets under a baby that sits up or plays on the floor.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:27 am
My mil did moisture cure almost ten years ago, and still looks awesome. Unlike mine, done with polyurethane 5 months ago and looking really bad already.

rae

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 8:49 am
I dampmop with water and a drop of vinegar. I then use mop and Glo over it. Mop and Glo shines and protects it and lasts a week or two depending on traffic. Try it, you'll have new looking floors.
I was also told to sweep often.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 8:57 am
I'd strongly suggest you go over to houzz.com and see what the pros say. Take a look at the threads found here: http://www.houzz.com/discussio.....floor

You will see that they recommend NO vinegar, NO Murphy's, NO Mop 'n Glo, almost NO water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry