Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is it safe to drive to Gush Etzion?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:04 am
Hi, I have a question on behalf of my friend. She and her husband will be visiting Gush Etzion, Alon Shvut to be precise, but her husband is a bit concerned about safety in general.

What are the security situation like these days, are there increased security or military presence? Is it safe to drive from Jerusalem on a rental car? If so anything they need to be aware of (particular roads to avoid, is it safe to drive at night)? Or is it safer to take a bus, I remember buses to Gush Ezion had shatter proof windows?

posting as amother because I discussed this IRL.

hila

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:32 am
I live in the Gush, and drive to and from Jerusalem every day - and other places too.

Is NY safe ? Is Paris ? Texas ? etc

Nowhere today is 100% safe. BUT I do not live my life in fear. I drive day and night. I do have shatterproof windows, but I drove for 6 years without .

The buses are no longer bulletproof. Maybe shatterproof.

Welcome to the Gush. A wonderful place to live

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:51 am
Another resident of the Gush. We drive here all the time. You will see soldiers all around. Don't know if that makes you feel more safe or less. Your friends can take buses if they prefer, but know that people drive around the Gush and commute to Jerusalem every day without incident.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:28 am
It depends who you ask.
I, for eg, live in Jerusalem. I would drive to the gush, but I would probably be nervous. On the other hand, I'd wait at a busy bus stop by the Jerusalem central bus station without batting an eyelid, whereas someone from the Gush might think that's dangerous.

The only advice I would give is don't rely blindly on Waze - know where you're going.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
It depends who you ask.
I, for eg, live in Jerusalem. I would drive to the gush, but I would probably be nervous. On the other hand, I'd wait at a busy bus stop by the Jerusalem central bus station without batting an eyelid, whereas someone from the Gush might think that's dangerous.

The only advice I would give is don't rely blindly on Waze - know where you're going.
Exactly. I also live in the gush and the thought of having to stand at a bus stop in Jerusalem makes me a bit nervous, but I am used to the Gush.

OP, come, enjoy. Dont let the !@#$%^& terrorists win!!!!! The Gush has so much to explore and see.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 12:47 pm
Another Gushy here! Some people find the heavy army presence scary, I find it reassuring. One thing to look into though is some car rental places don't allow you to drive to the Gush. They should check into that for insurance purposes.... The tzomet does look like an army base though. Your friend should be prepared in advance for soldiers pointing a gun in his face as he's driving (obviously in order to protect him but my parents were shocked by that when they came).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions