Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kosher lamp materials- toxic?

amother1223

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:49 am
Got a new kosher lamp from kosher innocations yesterday. Ever since I set it up, I must have touched near my eye and my eye has had a burning feeling since yesterday. Im so concerned about this especially since the lamp sits on my bedside table next to where I sleep- every night. Thats a lot of time!

Anyone have this experience? Feeling nervous. I know heimish brands arent notious for being "green" but this is very concerning to me

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:04 am
As far as I understood, "kosher lamps" and just regular fluorescent lamps with a well-sealed shutter that can be slid closed/open so you can "turn it off/on" on Shabbat.

I don't see why it would be made out of any special materials.

amother1223

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:12 am
The paint that they use? I dont know. It smelled very strong out of the box

Simple1

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 8:20 am
DrMom wrote:
As far as I understood, "kosher lamps" and just regular fluorescent lamps with a well-sealed shutter that can be slid closed/open so you can "turn it off/on" on Shabbat.

I don't see why it would be made out of any special materials.

I cant answer op. But I've heard that its more than just a simple lamp. They need to make it in a way that won't cause a fire from the light being enclosed.

amother1223

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 8:45 am
My eyes still burn the next morning so I am concerne

miri36

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:02 am
My friend smelled smoke and went into her room to see the kosher lamp melting and burning up. BH she got her baby out ok.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:24 am
Simple1 wrote:
I cant answer op. But I've heard that its more than just a simple lamp. They need to make it in a way that won't cause a fire from the light being enclosed.

But it's a compact fluorescent bulb, so it shouldn't give off much heat. I assume is has some sort of heat vents or cooling fins built into the design.

I any case, I don't see why it would require construction from some special (eye-irritating) materials -- at leas not any more so than a regular lamp does.

sourstix

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:01 am
I keep mine on 24/7 never had a problem with smell or fire. its been on since I bought it a couple of years. she should take it to the store. there can be faulty products. almost every company can have a lemon. op take it to the store and tell them you want a different one.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:03 am
I've had a kosher lamp near my bed for 3 years and haven't experienced any issues at all.

There could be a LOT of other reasons why your eye is burning. I'd go to an eye doctor if the symptoms don't improve.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:06 am
sourstix wrote:
I keep mine on 24/7 never had a problem with smell or fire. its been on since I bought it a couple of years. she should take it to the store. there can be faulty products. almost every company can have a lemon. op take it to the store and tell them you want a different one.

Can she really claim that their product is faulty because it smells and her eye started burning? For all we know she also washed laundry that day and some bleach fumes got near her eye...

amother1223

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:24 am
No it happened directly after I was touching it and srtting it up- ive never had this sort of problem before. I bought it off amazon so I can send it back. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this so I dont feel crazy

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:50 pm
I'm sorry your eye hurts. Def see a doctor!

I've had several kosher lamps in different parts of my house, they've lasted for years, and I've never had a problem with any of them. I don't know of anyone else who's had a problem like that, either.

If it makes you feel better, exchange it through Amazon.

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:37 pm
Sometimes a new product of any type can emit fumes from the plastic/ manufacturing chemicals. Though I have several kosher lamps & never noticed this.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:39 pm
miri36 wrote:
My friend smelled smoke and went into her room to see the kosher lamp melting and burning up. BH she got her baby out ok.

Was she using the correct bulb? It needs to be less than a certain wattage. I once accidentally used an incandescent light bulb and destroyed my lamp that way.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:13 am
I would return the lamp. Could be defective. Or maybe you're allergic or sensitive to whatever it is made of. Things are made from so many materials and chemicals these days, you could definitely be having a reaction to it. I'd try a different brand or type of lamp and see if that is better for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics