Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Keeping broccoli crunchy for friday night

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:56 am
I want to serve roasted broccoli for friday night, but I'm afraid it will get too dried out or not hot. I leave my oven on the lowest for 1 1/2 because that's how long till my dh gets home from shul and a hot plate for the chulent. What do you think would be the best way to keep the crunchiness and hot? I thought if I put it in right before shabbos on the temperature that I leave it on for that amount of time it will cook and be good. What do you think? I'm using both frozen and fresh. TIA

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:04 am
I'd love to know, too. Every attempt I've made at Shabbos broccoli has been a failure, unless it was in a kugel.

Stir fried, roasted, steamed, it all turns to mush, and the flavor goes really nasty. I just don't make it for Shabbos anymore. Zucchini holds up so much better, and only gets sweeter over time, not bitter.

m+m

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 12:43 pm
I undercook the broccoli so it's not soft and then leave it on the crock pot to warm.
Leaving it in the oven will definitely make it mushy

laykee

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 1:33 pm
Try this recipe from ATK and serve room temp. I think the flavors at room temp are more intense. We love it.

“Roasted Broccoli”
SERVES 4

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: Roasting is a great way to deepen the flavor of vegetables, but broccoli can be tricky to roast given its awkward shape, dense, woody stalks, and shrubby florets. We wanted a roasted broccoli recipe that would give us evenly cooked broccoli—stalks and florets—and add concentrated flavor and dappled browning. The way we prepared the broccoli was the key. We sliced the crown in half, then cut each half into uniform wedges. We cut the stalks into rectangular pieces slightly smaller than the more delicate wedges. This promoted even cooking and great browning by maximizing contact with the hot baking sheet. Preheating the baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven gave us even better browning. Tossing a scant ½ teaspoon of sugar over the broccoli along with salt, pepper, and a splash of olive oil gave us crisp-tipped florets and blistered and browned stalks that were sweet and full-flavored. Make sure to trim away the outer peel from the broccoli stalks as directed; otherwise, it will turn tough when cooked.

The recipe:
1¾ pounds broccoli
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch pepper

“1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Cut broccoli horizontally at juncture of crowns and stalks. Cut crowns into 4 wedges if 3 to 4 inches in diameter or 6 wedges if 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Trim tough outer peel from stalks, then cut into ½-inch-thick planks about 2 to 3 inches long.
2. Toss broccoli with oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in bowl. Working quickly, lay broccoli in single layer, flat sides down, on hot baking sheet. Roast until stalks are well browned and tender and florets are lightly browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer to platter and serve.

Excerpt From: America's Test Kitchen. “The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook: A Fresh Guide to Eating

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 1:41 pm
serve it room temperature ... or make raw broccoli salad

anything left in the oven for longer than the amount of time it takes to cook will be overdone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes