Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What should I tell my ds?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:25 pm
ds is 7. he told me hes afraid to go to sleep cause he is afraid of robber. I didnt know what to tell him. I live in a safe neighborhood. I told him we live in a safe neighborhood he shouldnt be afraid. somehow I sounded so not caring. or too cold. but what would be a better thing to help him? what is there that I coould have said? please help me. I feel so detached when I said it to him.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:14 pm
Ask him why he's afraid of getting robbed and go from there, based on what he says

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 10:57 pm
It can't hurt to ask him why he's afraid, and discuss the dangers and why you think it is unlikely that you will be robbed.

I would also explain to him that we say Shema at night and Hashem watches over us and protects us. at the end of Shema, one of my kids says, "Hashem is with me so I won't be afraid".

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:29 am
When I was little (so this was the 80s in the middle of a city), a robber actually broke into our house in the middle of the night while we were all sleeping. I actually heard him, but thought it was my father coming in late from work or using the bathroom or something. Thank G-d, the robber only stole one or two things and left and didn't bother us.

But, it definitely leaves you feeling scared and vulnerable. But I got over it (though I do still always make sure the windows and doors are locked before I go to bed!). After it happened, my parents discussed with me how the robber got into the house and how they were going to prevent it from happening again, that way or a different way. This really helped me.

Take your son around your house and show him things that keep robbers out - locked doors at night (a bolt/chain if you have one - show him how it works from the outside and inside). Locked windows on low floors (and upper floors if you do that), etc. If you have an alarm system, give him a demonstration, and explain what happens if it goes off at the security company, etc. Ask him if there are other entry points in the house he is worried about specifically (keep this one brief). Explain to him how to call 911 in the event of any emergency, so he doesn't feel helpless, and explain how to talk with the operator (make sure he knows your address) and what will happen afterwards (police will come quickly and they will help) - do a mock 911 call with him and act out what happens after. Also, explain to your son that most robbers just want to steal stuff for money and don't want to hurt people (my parents told me this and it really helped) - so even if chas v'shalom a robber did come, most likely they wouldn't bother him or you, and even if they stole some stuff, stuff can always be replaced, and you have insurance that would help pay for it. And tell him that the neighborhood you live in has very few robbers, and most of the robbers live in other places. If he still feels nervous, try asking him what he thinks the worst case scenario is and help him understand how you and he could/would deal with that. If he still seems nervous after that, I actually recommend taking him to a few sessions with a child psychologist to get to the bottom of it - shouldn't be long or complicated.

And last but not least, offer him a night light Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics