Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Smart locks--Shabbos mode?

TorontoMama

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 11:48 am
Hi! I am considering a "smart" lock for my front door. A smart lock is a wifi- or bluetooth-enabled lock that unlocks itself automatically when it senses a paired device (like a smart phone or a fob) approaching. Many of these devices have a manual override so you can unlock them with a traditional key in case the electronic component of the device fails. I am worried, however, that if I unlock the smart lock with a traditional key on Shabbos, it will still cause lights or electronics to activate.
Does anyone have experience with smart locks or has anyone done research on smart locks and their use on Shabbos? I would love to hear your feedback!
Thanks!

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 12:11 pm
I can't help you with smart locks, but have a question. Are they more secure than a conventional key lock or a combination locK?

sky

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 12:21 pm
Smart Locks are great for:
- If you have someone coming to do a service you can give them a one time access
- If you have someone coming regularly like cleaning service you can give them timed access
- If you are having a weekend guest you can give them access for the time they will be there
- you can monitor each time the door is unlocked and who used which code (I.e. know when the repair man came or when the cleaning service arrived).

I don't know if they can be used on shabbos. But you can look into what happens if the power goes out. I'd assume the key over ride would still work.
I'd be concerned about the recording aspect, would it log that a manual key was used?

I wonder if the Star-K has research on this like they do appliances.

I know there are companies in Lakewood that sell smart home systems where many things in the home can be controlled remotely (windows, shades, lights, locks, doors, garage door, heat, a/c, etc). I'm guessing the Jewish installers would have done research what is available for the shabbos consurmer.
http://www.electronichouse.com.....bbat/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics