Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Child tax credit profitability

Benevolence

Post Sat, Jul 16 2016, 5:42 pm
Shavuah tov all,
B"H I live in Israel with my husband and three children under 4. I have a ssn, but I never registered the children since it seemed like a huge schlepp. I've heard that under a certain income there's a possibility to receive funds like Bituah leumi here. Is it true? Will this be worthwhile? I'm going to need to renew my lost passport while will already cost about 500 sheqel, and money is tight - dh prefers to drop it merely because of that. I could really use some words of advice. Thank you!

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jul 16 2016, 6:22 pm
Do you mean child tax credit from America or Bituach Leumi from Israel?

Do your children have SSN's?
Do they have American passports with Israeli visas or Israeli passports?

Did you make aliyah or are you in Israel temporarily?
Do you pay American taxes or Israelis taxes?

Benevolence

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 1:45 am
I knew I told too little. I made Aliyah with my parents by the age of six. Been in Israel for over 25 years. Both of my parents are citizens, dh isn't. I hadn't reported the birth of my children at the American embassy. I pay Israeli taxes, and my children do not have ss numbers. The are eligible, thanks to my mother (I never lived 14 years in the states are required). Here I get Bituah leumi a little less than 600₪ a month. A friend told me her brother receives child tax for his children although residing in Israel. Tomorrow I have an appointment to replace my long lost passport, as a necessary starting point for the whole process, and a want to come ready with a list of questions to the point. So yes? No? Waste of time and money which I don't have (b"H I'm not complaining but times are difficult)
Appreciate any input

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 2:02 am
Do you file taxes in America?

Benevolence

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 2:38 am
No. This is part of my contemplation if I should start - making child tax one of the results. I know that theoretically I'm supposed to. Our income isn't high. A little under 40,000$ a year.

grace413

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 3:24 am
In order to receive the child tax credit your children would need to become US citizens and have social security numbers. There may be other criteria to fulfill, but this is a bottom line requirement. You would have to file US tax returns (you can file retroactively for 3 years).

As you did not live in the States long enough to automatically pass US citizenship on to your kids you would have do it via your parents citizenship. If I'm correct, this entails you and your children making an actual trip to the US.

There are people who specialize in making these arrangements. I'm not sure if you can do it all on your own or not. I suggest you ask the consulate if they have an information sheet re this procedure. Actually, they may have information on their website.

Some people decide it's worthwhile some people don't. Hatzlacha with making your decision.

Shuly

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 3:39 am
grace413 wrote:
In order to receive the child tax credit your children would need to become US citizens and have social security numbers. There may be other criteria to fulfill, but this is a bottom line requirement. You would have to file US tax returns (you can file retroactively for 3 years).

As you did not live in the States long enough to automatically pass US citizenship on to your kids you would have do it via your parents citizenship. If I'm correct, this entails you and your children making an actual trip to the US.

This is correct.
You would need to go to the US with your kids, before they turn 18, to get citizenship for them.

Benevolence

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 3:49 am
Thank you all again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics