Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Los Angeles ideas
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 2:15 am
My husband and I are planning on going to LA without the kids (yay😃) in August for five days. We need ideas of places to go and things to do.

CMSS

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 10:43 am
We just got back from a great trip to LA. What are the ages of your kids? Boys, girls?

CMSS

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 10:51 am
Oops, guess I am still jet lag... Without kids....
Huntington Library was beautiful, go on a day that is not too hot. The gardens are incredible you can spend a few hours there.
Oxnard beach was very quiet almost no one there. Embessay suites is on the beach and the herzog winery/ restaurant high class. Must make advance reservation.
We enjoyed a small hike by malibu called point dume, the view was beautiful
Newport beach took ferry to balboa island. It was quaint and we enjoyed the calm atmosphere, took a boat ride...
In doors, Car museum was enjoyable....we once went to the Regan library which was really good and also has beautiful grounds and scenery.
Those are just a few ideas. Have a great time!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 10:55 am
There are some really nice scenic routes to take hikes or you can try mountain climbing
Whale watching or boating in Newport beach, you can find some deals in groupon.
Universal studios
San diego, seaworld is a 2 hour drive.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 11:06 am
I'd consider any of the following as well:
1. Hollywood sign hike (there are multiple hikes and one goes behind the hollywood sign while another, easier hike goes a mile below it and has a nice "photo stop")
2. Aquarium of the Pacific: it's not the most magnificent aquarium, but it is very well presented and a joy to view. It's extremely relaxing and calm and not "intense."
3. Science center: General admission is free and they currently have the space shuttle endeavor which is a site to see!
4. Get some EXTRA LARGE HUGE STRAWBERRIES (if they have them) near the Balboa or Havenhurst exit off of the 101.
5. Griffith park observatory (can be done on the same day as the Hollywood sign hike)
6. Runyan canyon hike

lkwdgirl

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:14 pm
Thanks! These ideas are definitely something to look into. Where are good places to eat?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:58 pm
lkwdgirl wrote:
Thanks! These ideas are definitely something to look into. Where are good places to eat?

Patts ( fancyish), Beverly Hills Thai ( meat), Bodhi Thai ( vegan), real food daily ( vegan and not in Pico Robertson area), fish grill in Malibu ( good for a beach day), coffee bean is all over the place and good to pick up a drink and pre made sandwich or salad, la gondola is great for lunch. Delice is great for breakfast and I heard origins cafe is too.

Carmen Luna

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 6:54 pm
I don't know the type of fun and food you guys enjoy so I"ll do my best.
Places to go -
* universal studios (see how they produce movies and different rides
* Warner bros. (you can book online to watch a real life tv show being shot)
* jimmy kümmel live show
* Venice beach (you can rent segways or bikes)
* Santa Monica pier (amusement park on a pier)
* Hollywood Blvd (see street performers and a lot of times you can see premiers of movies taking place)
* the grove (beautiful outdoor shopping outlet, water fountains, trolleys, music etc)
* hike to the Hollywood sign
* rodeo drive (the famous street in Los Angeles with all brand name stores. Fun for window shopping

Places to eat -
* la gondola - good Fleishig restaurant $$
* Tierra sur- considered the best kosher restaurant, located in the Herzog winery in Oxnard - $$$
* la burger - delicious burger joint - $
* mexikosher - heavenly tacos restaurant - $
* fish grill - restaurant where they grill or fry fresh fish for you. Served on plates, wraps, tacos, sandwich with sides. One of my favorite places. They have 3 locations, go to the one at Malibu beach and take the food to go and eat it across the street at the lagoon. Ask them how to get there. $
* ditmas kitchen - unique menu. think Smoked lamb belly with sunny side up egg on top. Olive oil cake. $$
* coffee bean (on la brea) is CY - and has delicious pastries from delice bakery.

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 2:13 pm
Yay! My turn!
This list looks great but if anyone has anything to add now, I'd appreciate!
We are going without kids. We like hikes, nature, and would like to see things unique to LA! (like NOT the zoo)
We are real touristy tourists from NY! This will probably our one and only visit to California!

simba

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
Yay! My turn!
This list looks great but if anyone has anything to add now, I'd appreciate!
We are going without kids. We like hikes, nature, and would like to see things unique to LA! (like NOT the zoo)
We are real touristy tourists from NY! This will probably our one and only visit to California!

I did the Zuma Canyon Trail hike in Malibu with my DH. We really enjoyed. Stopped off in the Fish Grill right on the ocean after. Was a great trip

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 3:43 pm
We took a Beverly Hills rodeo drive Segway tour. We enjoyed it very much!

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:16 pm
If you're really touristy tourists, do the famous Runyon Canyon hike. It's quite the scene and the hike is also quite fun. When you get to the top, there is a panoramic view of Los Angeles.

It's in a canyon right off Hollywood Boulevard so part of the fascination is that you are in a "native vegetation" area that is smack dab next to one of the most urban areas of Los Angeles.

It used to be the estate of Huntington Hartford, the heir to the old A&P supermarket chain but the estate burned down and was in ruins for awhile.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:24 pm
If you like nature and touristy things, definitely stop by the La Brea tar pits!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:31 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
I don't know the type of fun and food you guys enjoy so I"ll do my best.
Places to go -
* universal studios (see how they produce movies and different rides
* Warner bros. (you can book online to watch a real life tv show being shot)
* jimmy kümmel live show
* Venice beach (you can rent segways or bikes)
* Santa Monica pier (amusement park on a pier)
* Hollywood Blvd (see street performers and a lot of times you can see premiers of movies taking place)
* the grove (beautiful outdoor shopping outlet, water fountains, trolleys, music etc)
* hike to the Hollywood sign
* rodeo drive (the famous street in Los Angeles with all brand name stores. Fun for window shopping

Places to eat -
* la gondola - good Fleishig restaurant $$
* Tierra sur- considered the best kosher restaurant, located in the Herzog winery in Oxnard - $$$
* la burger - delicious burger joint - $
* mexikosher - heavenly tacos restaurant - $
* fish grill - restaurant where they grill or fry fresh fish for you. Served on plates, wraps, tacos, sandwich with sides. One of my favorite places. They have 3 locations, go to the one at Malibu beach and take the food to go and eat it across the street at the lagoon. Ask them how to get there. $
* ditmas kitchen - unique menu. think Smoked lamb belly with sunny side up egg on top. Olive oil cake. $$
* coffee bean (on la brea) is CY - and has delicious pastries from delice bakery.

I know LA inside and out. This is by far the best summary of places to go and things to do. FYI coffee bean semi lost their kosher status I believe only drinks are okay there now. NOT PASTRIES.
Also, if you don’t mind driving you can do San Diego only 2 hours away.
Places to eat:
Fancy: la Gandola, shilohs, patts, Tierra surr, Natalie trattoria, Ditmas I believe closed down.
Not fancy: Jeff’s, burger bar, Pico kosher deli, pizza shops, Pico cafe, sushi places, Fish Grill

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:31 pm
These all sound amazing! Thank you so much! I am getting so excited!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:32 pm
The Los Angeles Arboretum and the Getty Museum, hike into the San Gabriels to the waterfalls at Jackass Flats.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
I know LA inside and out. This is by far the best summary of places to go and things to do. FYI coffee bean semi lost their kosher status I believe only drinks are okay there now. NOT PASTRIES.
Also, if you don’t mind driving you can do San Diego only 2 hours away.
Places to eat:
Fancy: la Gandola, shilohs, patts, Tierra surr, Natalie trattoria, Ditmas I believe closed down.
Not fancy: Jeff’s, burger bar, Pico kosher deli, pizza shops, Pico cafe, sushi places, Fish Grill

Your coffee bean information is incorrect, see https://yeahthatskosher.com/20.....sher/

Delice or origins cafe are way better than Pico cafe. I can’t imagine going to la and not eating at bodhi ( vegan Thai)!or Beverly Hills Thai ( meat Thai) or poke logic ( Poke place). Sweet rose creamery is a fun Kosher ice cream store ( next to fleishiks which is a great hip deli place).

I love both Getty museums and the broad museum is very fun.

imeinu

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:03 am
I can't believe no one mentioned boating in Marina Del Rey. Speed boating was amazing there. Gorgeous and fun.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:05 am
imeinu wrote:
I can't believe no one mentioned boating in Marina Del Rey. Speed boating was amazing there. Gorgeous and fun.

Could be fun, depends on the weather

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
Your coffee bean information is incorrect, see https://yeahthatskosher.com/20.....sher/

Delice or origins cafe are way better than Pico cafe. I can’t imagine going to la and not eating at bodhi ( vegan Thai)!or Beverly Hills Thai ( meat Thai) or poke logic ( Poke place). Sweet rose creamery is a fun Kosher ice cream store ( next to fleishiks which is a great hip deli place).

I love both Getty museums and the broad museum is very fun.

The article about coffee bean is from February. My knowledge of the coffee bean kosher issue is more recent. Something changed around pesach time and it’s still the same. Ask your LOR
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics