Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Kippa made of hair???
1  2  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:00 am
Not sure if this should be here or under "parenting".

We live quite OOT and one of my boys feels very uncomfortable wearing a kippa, particularly during vacation because he doesn't like to feel different. He is due for a haircut and last night I was talking to him about when to have it done before 17th Tammuz So he said to me as there are no.issues of having his hair short for school at the moment, could he grow his hair really long and then save it to stick it onto a plain kippa so the kipppa will just look like his hair (because it will simply be his actual hair) and therefore be less noticeable?

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Anyone got any good practical tips of how to do.it? His hair is already very long and grows very fast, and because of travel it's probably a few months until it HAS to be cut for school.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:02 am
Can he just wear a baseball cap?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:08 am
That's what he normally does. But he sometimes gets hot and sweaty and does not want to wear anything. And he was quite excited by his idea so I said I would look into it for him, which is what I'm doing now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:25 am
http://kippamagic.com/

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:45 am
Wow shabbatiscoming so cool! I'll show him as soon as he comes in.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:00 pm
He thought the website was interesting but still wanted ideas on how to make his own. what works you do? Sew it? Glue it to an existing kippa, or what?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:31 pm
he can learn to weave and make his own hair yarmulke ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-bwkHxhUU

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 2:21 pm
This sounds like a question for a rav or other mashpia who will take into account chinuch and where you live/your son's environment/friends. How old is your son? Wearing a kippah is not a mitzvah d'oreita (or even d'rabbanan?) except maybe for davening and eating. Having your son go to somewhat lengths like wearing a toupee in order to technically have his head covered seems a little extreme.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 2:45 pm
Gosh, I remember when men used to wear hair kepot in the '70s.

madys

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:50 pm
Wouldn't it be easier to get a toupee?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:55 pm
I heard that men aren't supposed to wear toupees due to lo silbash (hair yarmulkes might be considered toupees). Also I heard that yarmulkes are supposed to be noticable. Of course maybe there are leniencies due to circumstances. Definitely a shaila for a rav.

Learning

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
Not sure if this should be here or under "parenting".

We live quite OOT and one of my boys feels very uncomfortable wearing a kippa, particularly during vacation because he doesn't like to feel different. He is due for a haircut and last night I was talking to him about when to have it done before 17th Tammuz So he said to me as there are no.issues of having his hair short for school at the moment, could he grow his hair really long and then save it to stick it onto a plain kippa so the kipppa will just look like his hair (because it will simply be his actual hair) and therefore be less noticeable?

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Anyone got any good practical tips of how to do.it? His hair is already very long and grows very fast, and because of travel it's probably a few months until it HAS to be cut for school.

Why would he be so uncomfortable especially during vacation. We live OOT and frum people just go around with kipa and even tzitzis out and feel good about themselves and about being different. Nobody is having any problems at all. If he is comfortable in school why would he care about strangers. Especially In the US everybody is used to people from different cultures. Even some celebrities converted. I think it might be something you should think about regarding your son. I don't want to say therapy but it is better to confront the reason he is the only one that uncomfortable. Btw if he ends up making or buying the hair kipa I can't imagine how would it look natural on a boy that naturally is probably very active.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:03 pm
Learning wrote:
Why would he be so uncomfortable especially during vacation. We live OOT and frum people just go around with kipa and even tzitzis out and feel good about themselves and about being different. Nobody is having any problems at all. If he is comfortable in school why would he care about strangers. Especially In the US everybody is used to people from different cultures. Even some celebrities converted. I think it might be something you should think about regarding your son. I don't want to say therapy but it is better to confront the reason he is the only one that uncomfortable. Btw if he ends up making or buying the hair kipa I can't imagine how would it look natural on a boy that naturally is probably very active.

I also live OOT. Anti-semetic comments are a part of life for the local kippa wearers. Don't judge a kid for not wanting to deal with it unless you are willing to subject your own child to hate whenever he goes on the playground.

Learning

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:57 pm
My children sometimes wear a baseball hat at the playground. If the frum boys come as a group usually they don't care because they have each other. if you are on vacation as a family I don't see it as a problem that kids have. I'm sure it is in a way awkward and can be an issue but frum boys just grow up with it and it is not an issue or not a big issue as far as I know.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
http://kippamagic.com/

The quotes on this site are so disturbing.

Quote:
Due to the rise of anti-Semitism in my town I find Kippa Magic to be a great solution to observe believes without causing a fuss. I am fooling everyone while keeping my ways.

Quote:
Tailor made to fit my hair colour, no one can observe it but me. A great asset at times like this…

Quote:
Although I am proud to be Jewish, where I live it is better to keep a low profile. Kippa Magic allows me to keep my tradition anywhere…

I am curious about the geographic demographics of their customers. I see prices quoted in Euros, so I can guess...

Learning

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:03 am
I was talking to Dh about this kipa. He said that OOT means really no community. I thought OOT is communities like Boston Cleveland Dallas or Los Angeles where there is a pretty big communities. If there is no frum Jews around its a different situation. In that case I'm sure a rav would let ds go without a kipa before going to as far as making a hair kipa. A kipa is not really such a big deal. Some business men get a heter do go without a kipa.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 9:04 pm
Thanks for the replies. OOT in this case means not so many frum people around. I wrote this thread to show my DS that I care about him and value his opinion . Which I do.... I think it was a very creative suggestion by him. it was also to demonstrate the importance of covering head for davening and particularly eating. I also wrote it to demonstrate to another son, who is very upset that this son does not want to wear a kippa all the time, that our is not necessarily the "end of the world", and he need not be so worried about it.

Thank you for your replies because I think if I show them to my sons (am I allowed to do this?), it will help me achieve these goals. Thank you.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:07 pm
Learning wrote:

Gosh, just because you don't have a problem with flaunting your frum-ness in an anti-Semitic world doesn't mean this boy needs therapy!

Everyone feels differently and they should be entitled to that.

newmom1987

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:38 pm
Wearing a yarmulke is not required except when davening and eating. Men wear it to say "I'm a Visible Jew and I'm proud." An invisible yarmulke is missing the point. If he feels uncomfortable then he just shouldn't wear one.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:22 pm
If wearing an invisible kippa made out of hair is "missing the point" - which it definitely is, then isn't wearing a head covering (for a woman) made out hair also missing the point?? The sheitels today seem to be "missing the point" too! To an outsider no one looks married- even frum pple can't tell anymore!
I was at an event recently where everyone was in a wig except for one woman who was wearing a scarf, a nonjew there approached the woman wearing a scarf to ask her about it. When she was told that a Jewish woman covers her hair upon marriage the nonjew replied- then why are you the only religious Jewish woman covering her hair in this room! She had no idea that anyone else was covering their hair!!
That is definitely missing the point!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics