Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving out of State - how to keep same phone number

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 10:53 am
We are moving from one state on the East Coast to a different State. We like our phone number as it has so many zeroes and is easy for people to remember. Our phone company says we need to change phone numbers when we move. Any suggestions of how to port this phone number to a different system? We do not have cell phones so is there a way to do it to a digital phone system like folks do in Israel with American numbers? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:01 am
Since you are moving out of State your area code is changing so you can't keep your number through the phone company. You might be able to keep it if you get phone service through an internet phone company. It is more complicated and you have to find a provider that does it. I know Net 2 Phone you can do it, however I don't know if they sell to individuals.

Do a google search with your questions and companies might come up.

gibberish

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:10 am
You can keep your number by transferring it to Google Voice or any other voip provider

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:12 am
Thanks so much for your information. Can Google Voice be used with a regular telephone? Or only the computer? How much is it per month?

tf

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:16 am
Or you can keep the number, but activate call forwarding to your new number.

rgr

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for your information. Can Google Voice be used with a regular telephone? Or only the computer? How much is it per month?

It costs $20 to port and then it's free
Once you get a new phone number that you pay for you can forward the Google voice number directly to the new phone.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:21 am
We have VOIP (voice over IP) phone and internet service through Cable Vision. Our home uses a regular phone (we have a few cordless stations around the house) but it is connected to the internet (only the main phone station is connected to the internet cable, the rest are connected automatically just by being plugged into an electrical outlet).

frumama

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:39 am
At&t has a home phone service that works on their wireless network, I forget what they call it. You can transfer your home number to their system and they send you a box that you plug into any outlet and then plug your house Phone into the box. It's very small and portable. If you have att wireless coverage where you are moving, you should be able to use it there too.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 12:36 pm
gibberish wrote:
You can keep your number by transferring it to Google Voice or any other voip provider

This is what I did. I have Voice set to forward calls from my old number to my new one.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 1:05 pm
This is very confusing to me. If I close our phone service with our current provider in our old State and have the number forwarded to a VOIP, will the number still work? Or do I need to pay the monthly fee to have the number still work? Thank you.

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:43 pm
You can port it to Google Voice and buy the Obihai box to have it to ring to your home phone.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/89737

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 3:15 pm
Don't close your phone number. First speak to the new VOIP provider who can port out the number for you and/or give you instructions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating