Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Shulamith School in the 5 towns, info please!

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:04 am
My daughter is currently in prospect park in brooklyn, but we moved to far rockaway and I am considering shulamith for this year. She is going into 7th grade. We are typical frum (whatever that means..) probably more right than prospect and shulamith but she needs to be in a very academic, enriching environment.
Any info is most appreciated!

myym

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 12:33 pm
Anyone??

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 12:54 pm
This was the first year that Shulamith has a high school so there isn't a history to look back on. It's a small class. I think around 11 girls. Supposedly, everyone is happy and the year was a success. I heard that next year there will be 9th and 10th grade and the classes will be bigger than this years 9th grade. I'm really not sure if academically they are better than TAG, but TAG will definitely be harder to get into without a sibling currently there. Shulamith is definitely more to the left.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 12:56 pm
You are trying to get in for this September? Will it be too late?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 1:01 pm
Shulamith is a good school. If you are asking specifically about the high school there is not much to go on. The principal is very young with zero experience and seems to want the incoming girls to be the highest quality. This may backfire because she is rejecting students who have been through the entire shulamith elementary school and people were upset.
The elementary and middle school principals both have great reputations and the school is only getting better since being in a building

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 1:27 pm
My daughter is going into 7th and I am asking only about the middle school, not high school. If those of you who replied can please tell me about the elementary and middle school, I would greatly appreciate it. academics, crowd, teachers..
For the one who asked if it's too late for september, no. I spoke to them and theres still room ( in the 7th grade)

myym

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:29 pm
noone sends to shulamith??

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:05 pm
I have a daughter who has been in Shulamith from nursery through second grade. I can tell you about the school in general, but I have no experience with the middle school.

It's a very warm school. The teachers and administration are very approachable. They will know your daughter's name and yours within the first few days of school. The SWO (Shulamith Women's Organization) hosts a new parents tea towards the beginning of every school year.

It's a Zionistic school, which you should know if that will be an issue. They teach Ivrit b'Ivrit. My daughter is learning much more Hebrew than I ever did in BY.

I don't know how rigorous the curriculum is for the upper grades. I do know they provide plenty of enrichment and they're constantly bringing in new programs in STEM and writing and other important areas of education.

Shulamith draws students mainly from the 5 Towns, Far Rockaway, and West Hempstead, so there's a bit of a mix of "types." There is a uniform and some basic rules, but nothing extreme.

I don't have time to write any more now, but feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer.

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:07 pm
OOC who's the HS principal?
You can PM me if you're nor comfortable posting.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:21 pm
Just a bit of advice to op. If you are enrolling a seventh grader be aware that it has a ramification on which high school she will go to . For example if you send her to shulamith she will probably not get into tag or bby hs. Again the reputation of shulamith is a good one and people are happy. In terms of an extraordinary education , I think while it is a good , it is not the most challenging in the five towns .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:24 pm
Crowd is mixed . Girls are allowed short socks and short sleeves. The school marches in the Israeli day parade and has sports leagues. Most mothers cover hair to varying levels.

ceebee

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:24 pm
What is the brother school of Shulamith? For families that send their girls there, where do their sons attend that's similar in hashkafah?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:51 pm
ceebee wrote:
What is the brother school of Shulamith? For families that send their girls there, where do their sons attend that's similar in hashkafah?

There isn't one. The boys in my neighborhood whose sisters go to Shulamith go to South Shore, Yeshiva Katana, or HALB.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
Crowd is mixed . Girls are allowed short socks and short sleeves. The school marches in the Israeli day parade and has sports leagues. Most mothers cover hair to varying levels.

Socks must cover ankles in all grades. Lower grades are allowed to wear short sleeves, but the older grades have to wear long sleeves.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:12 am
Short socks as opposed to knee socks. Short sleeves are worn until sixth grade.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:03 am
OP here. In terms of education, is it not better than tag?
I didnt think tag has stem and other programs?

madys

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:22 am
Both my girls are LI shulamith graduates.

One just graduated high school at SKA with honors and received a 100% full scholarship to college. The other just finished 9th grade at Central and she was on the honor roll.

Both of these accomplishments (I believe) are due to their education at shulamith. They had great teachers in both English and Hebrew. (Hebrew skills are excellent).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:05 am
If education is your main priority I would look into halb. Especially since ska has wonderful high school education and you are not pioneering a new school.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
If education is your main priority I would look into halb. Especially since ska has wonderful high school education and you are not pioneering a new school.

Why does everyone keep talking about high school? OP is asking about 7th grade. Her daughter can still attend SKA in 2 years if she wants.

I have heard good things abt the education in shulamith. But a good way to find out is to go in for an interview and ask them about their academic programs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics