Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Mercaz Hatorah Yerushalayim. what winter gear wearing there?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:52 pm
Ds is leaving in ten days. I just realized that he doesn't have the winter clothes he needs. We live on the west coast and don't own boots or heavy jackets. I don't think the stores have winter stuff now. What should I buy for him and what is a good online store we should get it from. TIA

Studious

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:55 pm
Where in Israel will he be? Tel Aviv is very different than Jerusalem for example.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:57 pm
Studious wrote:
Where in Israel will he be? Tel Aviv is very different than Jerusalem for example.

Thanks for your quick replay. He is going to yeshiva in Jerusalem.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:59 pm
The best thing I got my son was a pack able down coat. Lightweight but very warm. Also some sort of waterproof shoe

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:01 pm
andrea levy wrote:
The best thing I got my son was a pack able down coat. Lightweight but very warm. Also some sort of waterproof shoe

Sounds great. Where did you get it. And is it better to buy boots? What are water proof shoes? How heavy the cost needs to be?

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:08 pm
Some kind of rubbers/golashes/wellies for the winter rains. And a good waterproof rain coat. It often rains when its not cold enough to wear a really warm down coat.

I live in Yerushalayim and rarely wear my winter coat. More often than not a sweatshirt and rain coat has been enough. I think this past winter was the first time I had a down coat in Israel, and I wore it a few times but probably not more than 10... otherwise it was a not as warm wool coat or a rain coat.
My husband doesn't even own a winter coat (I've offered him one numerous times, he doesn't want one), he just wears a shayne coat and gloves.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:23 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
Some kind of rubbers/golashes/wellies for the winter rains. And a good waterproof rain coat. It often rains when its not cold enough to wear a really warm down coat.

I live in Yerushalayim and rarely wear my winter coat. More often than not a sweatshirt and rain coat has been enough. I think this past winter was the first time I had a down coat in Israel, and I wore it a few times but probably not more than 10... otherwise it was a not as warm wool coat or a rain coat.
My husband doesn't even own a winter coat (I've offered him one numerous times, he doesn't want one), he just wears a shayne coat and gloves.

I am not an an American born. So I didn't know what golashes and Wellies or rubbers are. I searched it on amazon. Do men really wear these in Israel. Do we need to buy these in a bigger size than the shoe size?

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:27 pm
He will need a warm coat, especially if he's not used to cold weather. Even though the winter season is shorter here, it does rain and snow and it gets cold.

Since he will probably walk a lot, he will need an umbrella, raincoat, gloves and either boots or rubbers to go over his shoes.

He will need some sweaters for indoors - most buildings/dorms are not heated well and he probably won't have heat at night, so he needs a blanket and a pair of warm pajamas.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:29 pm
This should tell you what you're looking for, but you'll have to shop around for best prices. Sporting goods stores always have them in stock: https://www.google.co.il/searc.....dpr=1

When the rains come, the gutters can overflow, making very deep puddles. Just get the regular size, and some nice thick socks. He can carry his good shoes in a bag, to change into when he gets inside.

We don't get rain often, but when we do, it comes down in torrents!

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:33 pm
The yeshivish bochurim wear these:

https://www.amazon.com/Tingley.....ngley

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:39 pm
Smile1234 wrote:

Where is g a good place to get the stuff online?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:41 pm
Shuly wrote:
The yeshivish bochurim wear these:

https://www.amazon.com/Tingley.....ngley

Op here
Thank you. You are a life saver!
Any ideas were and what jacket and glives to buy?

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:42 pm
Can you ask another boy who went to that yeshiva what the guys wear?

Different yeshivas have different styles and you don't want him to show up in a puffer coat only to see that everyone else is wearing a trench coat.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:44 pm
Op here
I just saw the last few posts. Thanks. Should I get the boots or the ones that go on top of the shoes?

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
Op here
I just saw the last few posts. Thanks. Should I get the boots or the ones that go on top of the shoes?

It depends on which yeshiva he is going to.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:52 pm
Shuly wrote:
Can you ask another boy who went to that yeshiva what the guys wear?

Different yeshivas have different styles and you don't want him to show up in a puffer coat only to see that everyone else is wearing a trench coat.

Good idea. I asked ds and he mumbled something:). I will ask ds again. I think he knows one boy who went to this yeshiva. We live OOT. He is going to mercaz hatora in talpiyot.

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 6:15 pm
The Merkaz guys are generally stylish. I would edit this post's subject to see if any NY mothers of Merkaz boys can tell you what their sons are bringing Very Happy

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 6:29 pm
Shuly wrote:
The Merkaz guys are generally stylish. I would edit this post's subject to see if any NY mothers of Merkaz boys can tell you what their sons are bringing Very Happy

Good idea. Thanks

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 7:23 pm
Do they wear suits every day? Or khakis with a jacket?

baby12x

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:22 am
Lots of sweaters. It's very cold inside in israel.
And merkaz is known to be very stylish
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics