Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
What makes a shabbos sheitel a shabbos sheitel?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:25 pm
I mean I see that people are wearing long, nice, curly/wavy wigs during the weekday, so what makes a shabbos sheitel a shabbos sheitel? Longer? Curlier? More taken care of because less worn? Trying to figure it out.

suremom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:28 pm
you mean your sheitelmacher didnt tell you it's a shabbos sheitel?

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:29 pm
Maybe it's a term that's left over from the time when people wore simpler hairstyles during the week and saved the elaborate ones for shabbos and simchas, but is not really a thing any more?

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:36 pm
What makes those short sleeved t-shirts Shabbos or Chasunah wear? Or, for that matter, I just saw someone at a wedding in a "baseball top" - (raglan sleeve).

trixx

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:43 pm
More expensive, more delicate, nicer hair, higher maintenance etc. When I got my 2nd which is shorter, not lace front so stronger and happened to be slightly cheaper, my 1st expensive, lace front, long kallah shaitel became my shabbos one. Basically the short one was more convenient to wear but I felt bad to never wear the $$ one again lol. Also you get more wear out of a set when you don't wear it daily, so you can get it set nicely and have it like for that a long while

tovli toraspicha

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:45 pm
It's probably any kind of shaitel that you wear less often or take better care of or get done once in a while so it looks nicer/and lasts longer in better condition so you wear it for better occasions like shabbos or simchas.

likely its more common among women who wear a shaitel everyday and specifically keep one for shabbos and and special occasions, as opposed to women like me who usually wear a tichel or the like and so my shaitel is by default kept for certain more special days.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:00 pm
Its just my nicer sheitel. And its stays nicer because it has less abuse and is worn less often.

rachelbg

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 10:35 pm
It's the one that 'looks fancier.' My better quality one is actually my everyday sheitle, since I wear it every day, and I need it to hold up!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:23 pm
I don't have a shabbos Shaitel. My shaitels are all very long and wavy. If I have a wedding or other simcha, I wear the one most recently washed and set.

pointyshoes

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:54 pm
I also have 2 Sheitels but no official shabbos Sheitels. They're both amazing but truthfully, one is just more "me" so I wear that one weekday and shabbos and simchas all the time and do it really often. I just love it Smile

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:16 am
I don't have a shabbos sheital. For many years I just had one sheital, but now I have 2 - one I use for running or going to the beach or whatever, one for anything else. (shabbos, social occasions, etc)

bigblueyes

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:34 am
I also wear the one that was most recently set.... But if its a family wedding I would wear my longer, fancier one.

Liebs

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:07 am
Mine is my new expensive longer one. Then when I need a shaitel I turn it into weekdsay (sometimes trimming it or restyling...) and then go buy a new shabbos one.
But now that I love my SHabbos one I'm thinking rather love what I wear every day and get a cheaper shabbos shaitel-because wear 2x a week so doesn't have to be as great quality and then can get one sooner rather than wait 4-5 years!
Interesting discussion!

sky

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:42 pm
there has always been a concept of using your best for shabbos.

I think really 3 levels of importance in clothing:

- weekday
- shabbos
- yom tov

We once had a teacher (male) who thought it was interesting that wedding clothing was fancier than shabbos\yom tov.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 2:19 pm
rachelbg wrote:
It's the one that 'looks fancier.' My better quality one is actually my everyday sheitle, since I wear it every day, and I need it to hold up!

This.

My "Shabbos sheitel" is longer (I.e. less "practical" than my barely shoulder-length weekday sheitel), but since I wear it less frequently it's actually a cheaper brand than my weekday sheitel.

I used to only own one sheitel, but once I started a job that required wearing a sheitel every day I didn't want to wear the same thing 7 days a week and bought a second one. Every so often I'll wear my long one to work, maybe on Rosh Chodesh or for my yearly photo ID picture Smile

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 4:30 pm
Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:03 pm
I use the one with the better quality of hair. Same maker, same style, but one is so much silkier than the other one. It lays better, holds curl better, and moves more naturally when I turn my head. The quality of the hair makes all the difference.

My first one was a disappointment, and I could never get the hair to lay right, so I made it into a 3/4 fall, and wear a wide headband in the front (I don't show the front of my hair.) That one was very expensive, and the really GOOD one I got for less than half price off of someone here on the board!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels