Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What Can I Become An Expert In FAST, And How?
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:39 pm
I'm an intelligent, accomplished SAHM in a community of PhDs/MDs/JDs/etc. I'll feel much better about myself staying home if I know that I have an advanced degree/specialization/etc., even if I'm chosing not to use it. I'd also like the security of being able to iy"H get a good job if it becomes necessary, and the option of working in a fulfilling career once my children are a bit older.

Can anyone suggest careers that can easily be studied at home (either independently or online), certifications/certificate programs... really, anything? I'm open to all ideas!

Thank you for your help!

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:43 pm
Best bet is to think of something that you're already good at and think of how you can become even better.

But honestly there is no quick route to become an expert at anything. It takes a huge investment of time and effort. I have an advanced degree but I am far from an expert in my field.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Best bet is to think of something that you're already good at and think of how you can become even better.

But honestly there is no quick route to become an expert at anything. It takes a huge investment of time and effort. I have an advanced degree but I am far from an expert in my field.

This is great advice, and the second paragraph is especially important. That time and investment needs to involve real work and experience. You can't become an expert if you're only working in isolation.

OP, you'll need to figure out your direction first, then maybe we can suggest ways to help you learn. But really the best way is to learn about the field, find a mentor, learn what you need to know, and practice it.

Check out local public universities. They often offer professional education certificate programs. You can take individual classes to see whether or not a particular topic appeals to you and if you have the aptitude for it. It will probably be expensive, so make sure that it will really be worth it to you.

But really, you need to want to do this for yourself, not in some kind of "keeping up with the joneses" way. Sad to say, but you'll quickly find that you can't pretend to be an expert without actually becoming one, and you will look foolish if you try to bluff your way through it. Accept who you are, and work on growing.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:03 pm
Thank you for pointing this out! I am well aware that experts become seasoned professionals over time. As I explained, I want to earn a degree/certificate/etc. that can be studied for at home. If you want to call it the scholastic version of "keeping up with the Jonses," then so be it. I recognize that this is what I need to be happy, and would rather pursue happiness than continue lying to myself that I'm "above" it.

If anyone has suggestions on options for study, they will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jeanette

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:15 pm
What are your interests?

What are your talents?

finprof

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:22 pm
If its a "keeping up with the Jones" thing then will an online degree be sufficient? Ask yourself why you really want this. I would love to be able to be a STAHM, I admit that I can't do it!

gande

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 9:55 pm
There are online degree programs that can be done from home such as Touro worldwide where you can get a specialized degree.

I would advise you to enter a field that suits your personality and that you have a feeling for. In my experience brains and passion is more important than a good school or experience and if you have that you will be highly regarded.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 10:11 pm
I admire your honesty and self-awareness.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:57 pm
I might be one of those women who intimidate you. I have a PhD in an interesting field but don't work because the job market in my area is tight, and dh has a job here that can support the family. Does it help to know that I walk around feeling like I am wasting my potential and letting my brains go to mush?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:05 am
amother wrote:
I might be one of those women who intimidate you. I have a PhD in an interesting field but don't work because the job market in my area is tight, and dh has a job here that can support the family. Does it help to know that I walk around feeling like I am wasting my potential and letting my brains go to mush?

I'm sorry for your plight. I daven that you are able to find a path to happiness!

I don't wish unhappiness on anyone. I'm merely looking for advice on how to pursue my own path to happiness, and I'm starting to think that this wasn't the right forum. Oh well.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:09 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry for your plight. I daven that you are able to find a path to happiness!

I don't wish unhappiness on anyone. I'm merely looking for advice on how to pursue my own path to happiness, and I'm starting to think that this wasn't the right forum. Oh well.

I didn't mean to bring you down. I just wanted to point out that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. Just do something that brings you joy.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:10 am
To those who gave le'toeles replies: Thank you so much for wanting to help! My interest lie mainly in math/science, and in helping people/counseling/giving advice.

To those who think I need to consider why I want to do this: I clearly explained my reasoning. If it doesn't make sense to you, then be grateful that you're not in my situation. My community (shul, playgrounds, grocery stores, libraries, carpool lanes, literally everywhere) is brimming with PhDs. I am not exagerating when I say that I'm often the only mom at the park with "just" a Bachelors. I've been the odd duck out for a decade, and I really can't take it anymore.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:14 am
amother wrote:
I didn't mean to bring you down. I just wanted to point out that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. Just do something that brings you joy.

You didn't bring me down at all! On the contrary, I felt badly for bringing you down.

I suspect that we have a lot in common vis-a-vis self perception.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:18 am
daagahminayin wrote:
I admire your honesty and self-awareness.

Thank you, this means a lot.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:35 am
amother wrote:
To those who gave le'toeles replies: Thank you so much for wanting to help! My interest lie mainly in math/science, and in helping people/counseling/giving advice.

Do statistics and/or data science (the non-programming part) sound appealing?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:39 am
bluebird wrote:
Do statistics and/or data science (the non-programming part) sound appealing?

Yes! I wasn't aware that you could study either online, or independently. Do you know how to research this?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:49 am
Have you attempted to visualize how this will impact your interaction with others once you attain your degree? Or is this just an internal thing for yourself? Once you attain an advanced degree or while you are working towards it will you tell people about your goals?

Have you visualized how your life will change while you are pursuing your degree? What will it look like? Less contact time with your husband or children? A different schedule for house work etc?

thegiver

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 4:50 am
Start your own business. That's the shortcut to expertise.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
Yes! I wasn't aware that you could study either online, or independently. Do you know how to research this?

You can start by googling online programs. You need to figure out what you want to get a degree in first.

AinOdMilvado

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:53 am
If you're into math I wonder if programming would work for you (which I am) - you can train from numerous free courses online and/or youtube has tons of free learning, I know someone who became a hotshot mobile programmer from youtube and practicing alone.

once you've learned:

1) make sure to do all projects in the courses so you really know how to do them (not just saw how)
2) then pick a website you like and try to create it from scratch, even looking up on google/stack overflow as you go along. Do this for a few, using your own words you put in (maybe different colors) and create yourself a portfolio. Or create a few games and/or useful programs for yourself or others to have in your portfolio/experience history.
3) read job offers as if you're looking to see what else you need to learn, and then learn/practice a bit more.

If you can afford it then offer to intern or work for less than what they're offering for your less experience and build yourself up, once you have experience on you're resume you'll be totally IN the market. Otherwise you can apply for any entry level job as long as you know what you're talking about, if you have a portfolio you're already a step above some other applicants.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics