Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Melania Trump plagiarized speech. Big deal?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:56 pm
geulah papyrus wrote:
I'm not a fan of Hillary or Donald and I'm voting for someone else completely. I'm also a high school teacher and I've caught students plagiarizing--and not only have I come down hard on them, but I've sent them to my AP to help determine an appropriate punishment. Melania Trump will now be a major example in my lesson on plagiarism this coming year. Additionally, I've spent a lot of time teaching my students the importance of using their own words, and citing their sources when appropriate--all in an effort to get them college-ready. Allowing this to blow over sends a mixed message to our students and future leaders. Stealing someone else's work is never okay--no matter who does it.

My guess is that she sat down with the speech writer, shared numerous personal details to put in at the appropriate times (the speech writer was probably working from some official speechwriter's Mad Libs-type pad) and Melania felt that the details were sufficient and personal enough for her to call it her own. Not the best MO but not venal or endangering national security.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is what I read on Breitbart yesterday (take that for what it's worth.)

Michelle Obama plagiarized her speech straight from Saul Alinsky. When asked about it, she said it was because "He was such a mentor and influence on me."

Melonia used that speech almost word for word, as a SATIRE. It's like saying that The Onion plagiarizes MSNBC.

Did anyone see the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk"? It's in the same vein of humor.

Somehow I don't see Melania being capable of such biting irony, or this being in her best interests.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:01 pm
Fox wrote:
You don't know the half of it!

Clementine, my DD, became a big fan after the Sexodous article. She's, ahem, kind of outspoken, but all of her extended circle of friends just yawned whenever she talked about his latest hijinks.

Well, now that @Nero has a higher profile, it seems he's developed a huge fan base of conservative yeshiva bochrim and young working guys who want to get to know a girl who has a snootful of things to say about third wave feminism and can quote BasedMom verbatim. I kid you not, she's gotten inquiries from every possible corner.

So what happens if she marries one of these guys? Do I have to pay shadchan gelt to Milo or CHS? Or is it enough to buy a t-shirt? Does the chosson get the pearl bracelet in the yichud room? I tell you, it's not easy being a parent.

I'm not playing Rabbi Imamother here but in general, in such a situation, you divide the whole of the shadchanus, not necessarily evenly.
Hope this helps, invite me to the chasuna!

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:09 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not playing Rabbi Imamother here but in general, in such a situation, you divide the whole of the shadchanus, not necessarily evenly.
Hope this helps, invite me to the chasuna!

Well, Boruch Hashem all this happened before @IAmQueenAri and @KassyDillon became proxies. That much math would severely overtax me. Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:17 pm
Fox wrote:
Well, Boruch Hashem all this happened before @IAmQueenAri and @KassyDillon became proxies. That much math would severely overtax me. Very Happy

Have you checked out Blaire White on YouTube? She's pretty awesome. Christina Hoff Sommers is a great 2nd wave feminist and financial analyst. She often tours with Milo. That Black Guy is a YouTuber worth checking out, too. He lays down some good common sense for the 20's generation of slackers and wannabe thugs.

I guess these ways I'm socially Liberal, and a 3rd wave Conservative (this is not your grandfather's GOP).

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:46 pm
The big deal is that both the Republican and the Democrats have awful nominees. There is no lesser of two evils even here. They are both awful choices.

This country needs something a lot better then these two nominees.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:51 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
The big deal is that both the Republican and the Democrats have awful nominees. There is no lesser of two evils even here. They are both awful choices.

This country needs something a lot better then these two nominees.

In my rich fantasy world, there will be a massive write in campaign for Dr. Ben Carson, and it will be a sea change in the history of American voting.

A girl can dream, right?

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:37 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have you checked out Blaire White on YouTube? She's pretty awesome. Christina Hoff Sommers is a great 2nd wave feminist and financial analyst. She often tours with Milo. That Black Guy is a YouTuber worth checking out, too. He lays down some good common sense for the 20's generation of slackers and wannabe thugs.

Yup! Love 'em all!

I've been a big CHS (BasedMom) fan since Who Stole Feminism back in the early 90s. It came out when I was in graduate school and had just been privately warned by my advisor that it was "dangerous" to say that women and men might learn differently. CHS and Camille Paglia ("BasedGoddess") made me feel like I'd had a life preserver tossed to me. I've seen both of them in person, and they're awesome.

I would seriously brave the very real possibility of getting caught in a riot to see CHS and @Nero together. They perform so much better together than either does separately. It's adorable to see her handle him like a much-loved puppy who occasionally pees in the house. She refuses to say the name of his tour because she feels it's "too much," and word is that she's the one who coaxed him in off the fat-shaming ledge.

Not to mention the fact that CHS kept her cool during the whole Trigglypuff scene. Her husband just died a year or two ago, I believe, and I feel a lot of admiration for how she still puts herself out there at a time when a lot of us would feel too vulnerable to have somebody screaming epithets at us.

Alas, Milo has been permanently banned from DePaul University in Chicago, so my chances of seeing them are slim unless Breitbart decides to compete with Barnum & Bailey.

Who doesn't love Blaire White? Nobody I'd want to hang out with, that's for sure! My favorite is when she calls out beta orbiters by saying, "And I was so bad at being a man that I became a woman!" Also like her reliance on science rather than emotion.

I like That Black Guy, but sometimes he goes on a little long . . .

Dave Rubin kind of bores me, but I like Gad Saad.

Also have to keep up with The Anime Man, Einshine, Sharla in Japan, and Rachel & Jun.

Is it any wonder my house is a mess? Seriously, my job and trying to be a mediocre balabusta really cut into my hobbies. But who can concentrate on dishes when I have to see who's retweeting me; when I have to check my fanfic stats; or, of course, write dissertation-length pieces on Imamother?

Very Happy

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:41 pm
Fox I did not know you were on twitter Smile

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:46 pm
Since 2008! When I started, the only person I could find to follow was Weird Al Yankovic. I love Weird Al, but his life is apparently almost as boring as mine. So I haven't really been that active. I'm more of a Twitter lurker most of the time.

Plus, I gotta keep up with Hotep Twitter!

You may now fill in the joke of your choice about the open miracle of my communicating anything in 140 characters.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
In my rich fantasy world, there will be a massive write in campaign for Dr. Ben Carson, and it will be a sea change in the history of American voting.

A girl can dream, right?

Check out Uncle Hotep on Youtube and Twitter.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:03 pm
WARNING:

If any lurking Imamothers are thinking, "Hmm, maybe I'll check out some of these people being discussed," please note that many of them (with the notable exception of Christina Hoff Sommers) sometimes use pretty vulgar language and/or imagery depending on their audience or what they're addressing.

I don't consider myself too easily shocked, but sometimes I'm listening to a podcast or video and find myself going, "Whoa! Can we dial that down just a little?"

So use your judgment given your own sensitivities and spiritual goals.

Of course, if your sensitivities are mostly of the fainting-couch feminist variety, go right ahead!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:18 pm
Hey Fox, did you see the Spatula City banner ad?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:19 pm
Made ja look!

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hey Fox, did you see the Spatula City banner ad?

Lol! "Stop Forwarding That Cr*p to Me" cause "I Got It on EBay"!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:23 pm
Fox wrote:
Lol! "Stop Forwarding That Cr*p to Me" cause "I Got It on EBay"!

I had to do some googling. My frame of reference ends long ago.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:34 am
Just to point out the utter hypocrisy of the left-wing "mainstream" media:

Every news outlet was completely *saturated* with coverage of this stupid Melania Trump "scandal" this week. You'd think nothing else was happening in the world this past week.

And yet...

Here is a speech by Democratic candidate Deval Patrick (71st Governor of Massachusetts), and a later campaign speech by Barak Obama. Hmmm... I don't recall every hearing a peep about it in the news, let along blanket coverage for 3 straight days:

Edit: I see amother Seagreen mentioned this on p3, but without video clips.

Last edited by DrMom on Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:37 am
Fox, love your new profile photo.

Re: David Rubin: He's a thoughtful interviewer, and he picks good guests and focuses on core issues.

I also like Sam Harris (ignoring the atheist stuff) and Douglas Murray and Mark Steyn.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 8:44 am

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:13 am
DrMom wrote:
I also like Sam Harris (ignoring the atheist stuff) and Douglas Murray and Mark Steyn.

Completely forgot about Douglas Murray! Love Douglas Murray! Also agree about Sam Harris and Mark Steyn.

I've been listening to Sonnie Johnson a lot lately, too.

I also can't be remiss in mentioning my longtime celebrity crush, P.J. O'Rourke. He's had some health issues in recent years, so he's powered down a little, but books like All The Trouble in the World and Parliament of Whores are still the best!

So here's a tidbit that I heard recently that made me smile:

Apparently Clementine isn't the only one who gets more attention as a result of her political/cultural leanings.

When the Dangerous F****t Tour rolls onto campus, it arrives with a slew of interns and assistants. These are virtually all straight college-age boys (after all, there can be only one dangerous f****t). The event not only brings out pierced, blue-haired protesters, it brings out every thoughtful, quasi-conservative girl in the region who owns a skirt and a pair of heels.

And, of course, all these girls want pictures with Milo during the meet-and-greet! And how are pictures taken? On the girls' phones, of course! And who is available to take these pictures? Yup, all those obliging interns, who can now say things like, "I'd really love to talk to you sometime. Is it okay if I text you?" and then quickly send texts to their own phones, thus capturing the phone numbers of the girls.

Need I explain what a popular gig this is among the interns? Totally worth the embarrassment of shlepping all the Louis Vuitton.

Clearly, we're just not thinking creatively enough when it comes to the shidduch crisis! Very Happy

Now, on to the elephant in the living room: Ben Shapiro.

I am thoroughly conflicted in my thinking.

Is he correct that Trump, et. al., need to call out the alt-Right on anti-Semitism, etc. Yeah, I think he probably is.

But he tends to wrap up the issue in so many wonkish details that my eyes glaze over. And what really happened at Breitbart? I feel like he gave up valuable real estate from which to point out problems in the alt-Right. It almost seems like he just got tired -- which is fair enough.

Opinions, ladies?

Last but not least: Jack Donovan.

Some of the company he keeps is pretty bad, but I am fascinated by his thoughts on the role of masculinity and how positive masculine identity is formed. I've thought a lot about it in connection with my sons' experiences in a cheder-style school and gender separation in RW Jewish life.

Discuss, and show your work!

#FreeMilo #FreeNero
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics