Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Going from 2 kids to 3-help me prepare

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:07 pm
Im 35 weeks pregnant, expecting a boy iyh after 2 girls. What can I expect to be different with 3? Is it realistic to expect routines to be the same? How can I keep up what is going on now, plus adding in a newborn and me not coping with sleep deprivation? Right now Im begining to feel like my life is too much to handle. Could be bcs im exhausted. (I have a 3 and 5 yr old) I want to be prepared for the challenges ahead

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:12 pm
Will either of your kids go to school in the fall? That will make a big difference. I have a 5 1/2 year old and 20 month old and will have a newborn in dec. The oldest will be in pre1a until 3:45. the middle will go 3 mornings a week to a play group and then come home and nap after and the baby will be on its own schedule. Its scary but manageable. If they were home all day together that would require a whole different mentality. I think I would have a nervous breakdown to be honest.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:34 pm
Make simple dinners. Keep a daily routine. Take each day as it comes. It's an adjustment but with time it will be easier.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:55 pm
My kids are the same ages (well, my 3 is actually almost 3) and I had a baby a few months ago. It's not so crazy, the older two are in school (well, camp this time of year) so I was able to have alone time with the baby which meant I could do SOME "sleep when the baby sleeps" which helped a lot. It's overwhelming in the morning getting everyone out, and it's tough in the evening getting the evening routine done, but at least I have a few hours where I can rest and not have total chaos, so I manage. Also weekends are tough, even with dhs help because there's no break and everyone is home, making messes etc. During the week I do try to cook dinner while the older kids are out, and that helps a lot. I have a lot of cleaning help.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 1:32 am
Bshaah tova!
I had the same last year: 5 and 3 yr old girls, and newborn boy. My biggest advice would be to not be shy about accepting offers of help, and to ask for help when you need it (from friends, family members, mother's helpers, etc.). I found 2 to 3 to be a big adjustment. I initially was hesitant to accept any help, thinking, "I've already done this twice, I know what I'm doing." But being a mom of a newborn is hard every time. So if your mother in law offers to come for a week, or if your carpool offers to take your shift, or if a neighbor offers to have your girls for a play date on shabbos afternoon so you and th e baby can sleep, SAY YES! And if you don't have offers and you need help, ASK! I don't think you will ever regret asking for help, only not asking.
All that being said, 2 big girls and a little boy is such a wonderful sequence!!! Enjoy!!!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 2:27 am
I am
Also going from two to three in the next few weeks I"YH. Only difference is the ages and gender I have two boys and may be will be having a girl I am not positive.

My oldest is not yet 4 and my toddler is still at home he will be 2.

Now you are getting me nervous op!

I like the advice to accept or ask for help I am learning to do that this pregnancy because it's harder being pregnant with two then it was with one.

I was trying to get my son into early head start but as of now he's on a waiting list. M
He does nap in the afternoon but if love to be able to get back into bed after my first ones bus! So not happening.

I appreciate any advice as well.

Good luck op!!!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:50 am
I am due with my 3rd (a boy iyh) in next week or so. I have a 3 yr old girl and 5 year old boy. They will bother be in school and are in camp now.
I am hoping they will take the new baby iyh well. I tried preparing them in last couple of weeks and by now are very very excited to "get" a baby as they say.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I am due with my 3rd (a boy iyh) in next week or so. I have a 3 yr old girl and 5 year old boy. They will bother be in school and are in camp now.
I am hoping they will take the new baby iyh well. I tried preparing them in last couple of weeks and by now are very very excited to "get" a baby as they say.

I haven't told mine yet!!! But they both love babies want a baby although my 2 year old will probably prefer I hold him!!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:36 am
I remember going from 2-3 being easier than 1-2 because the older 2 would keep each other busy.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 1:25 pm
gold this is so funny im also having my 3rd soon iyh, 5 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl!!!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:44 pm
One of the most challenging parts for me was the lack of hands. Where before if I went out with the kids it was one hand per child, now I couldn't do that. The solution was simple enough though - a stroller or shopping cart went EVERYWHERE with us, even once the littlest was old enough to walk. This way if I was out of hands the kids could all hold on to the wagon, and away we would go!

B'Shaah Tovoh Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics