Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tiferes Chaya in lakewood
1  2  3  Next

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:35 pm
I'm looking for information about this school.
There's an old thread where most of the information completely contradicts what I've heard IRL (and it seems to me that all the anothers may be the same person!)

What can you tell me about this school in regards to crowd, administration and academics?
For whose of you that send there and are originally from Boro Park- what school would you say it compares to?

Thank you!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:45 pm
bump

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:54 pm
Are you talking about leifer's school?

I don't send there so my information is not first hand but the few friends that do are not happy there.

They are not happy because they don't like the way administration handles problems or an issue with a teacher. Also there is only one class so if your child has an issue with the class then there is no other class to switch to and if lets say you had a bad year with a certain teacher as my friend did then you have no choice but all of your other girls will get her to because there is only one class.

Ally friends would love to switch out if they can.

Honestly I am repeating why my friends aren't happy but best is to speak to someone you trust that sends to the school because I have found that people that send to a school and can't get into another school will only say positive because they are forced to be there and they don't want to admit how bad it is.

So I don't think imamother is a reliable source but neither is just asking any random mother that sends there. The truth will come from close friends that care about you and your child's wellbeing.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:04 pm
I work in a dif chassidish school in lkwd and 2 english teacher there that I friendly with send to tiferes chaya and love it they talk so highly of the principal and how perfessionsl it is and warm it is and how from the plays to the newsletters to the curriculum is so high standards and how its small and made that every kid shines.. And both those teachers are great people they're husbands are still learning and very good solid people

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:22 pm
I'm not chasidish so this doesn't affect me but as a rule teachers kids always gets better treatment in a school so you can't go by if a teacher is happy.

Also from My experience most parents are happy until They have an issue. If your child is fine then of course you are happy you get to see if a school is good when a problem arises and how a school deals with it.

For example I know where I send my boys I love the yeshiva but I have heard complaints from parents and I did research and it turns out that kids that academically can't keep up those parents are complaining so either the school is too high academically or school can't
handle issues I don't care which one because it doesn't affect me. So if you ask me I'm happy and my kids are doing so well. And if you ask another parents you will get another answer.

Op best way for you is to speak to parents and if they aren't happy find out why and see if that will affect you. On imamother you don't know who you are talking to or even if owner of schools daughter is on here promoting their school.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:46 pm
No the teachers I were talking abt teach in a dif school thats the point and they thrilled in tiferes chaya and cud've got into this other school( thats more chassidish) no problem and they have what to compare to cuz they teach in dif school..

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:47 pm
Also some parents are just complainers by nature

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:51 pm
I am 100% not affilating with the school am a therapist in a dif school and send to a orchos chaim( girls little) ( am OOT american guess considered)

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:52 pm
I sent there when we lived in lakewood; we are open chassidish. The school started out the same way, was a very good normal school.
After the first year my daughter was there, the principal left and a new person took over, changing the whole feeling of the school.
It is very strict yiddishkeit wise, but also very into fashion, brands etc. My dd was seriously bullied for not wearing the "right shoes/breifcase" and the principal did nothing to stop it.
Also, they do not use text books to teach secular subjects, and the teachers are woefully unprepared. My dd came home with the most bizarre errors that were taught.
Bh we moved, and our kids are now thriving, wearing whatever they choose, and learning correctly.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:53 pm
Just want to add that I know quite a few other parents who really do not like the school, but are stuck there.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:55 pm
My friends who send there are very fashion conscious and kids are always dressed to kill.

But most chasidish schools kids dress very well.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:55 pm
So far this thread seems to be an exact repeat of the old thread (with some posts word for word!)

Help. I'm just as confused as I was before. I'm getting totally different information IRL.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:00 pm
Pm me if you'd like some POSITIVE information.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:35 am
Well, I'm sorry I can't give you the positive info you want. My dd was in first grade and came home with bruises on her arm, and I had to beg the teachers to at least move the bully away from her seat. They refused to do anything else.
When my dd was older, a kid took her notes the night before a major test (it's on the whole Seger, given by the principal). The girl refused to return it no one answered the phone or the door, and the teacher said she's not getting involved, nor can she give dd any help. We finally got them back at 10pm.
My dh was sick with cancer (we told the school) not once did anyone approach dd with any kindness, or offer help. In fact, dh approached Rabbi Leifer for help with some documents for Rccs that needed to be filled out by a Rabbi. Dh knows him for years . He promised to fill them out, but never did, never responded to our phone calls, nothing, which put his treatment on hold.
I cant even go on, I'm getting too emotional.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:57 am
I did a nice amount research on this school, I didn't end up sending for various reasons.
The feeling I got was that the older grades and the younger ones were very different - the younger grades were possibly less ritzy, maybe more wholesome girls. ... and those seemed to be the happier parents - those from the younger grades.

I could be completely wrong - that was just the feeling I got.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:58 am
Just a cont.
Which may be why your hearing such conflicting information - older grades seemed less happy than younger ones.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:22 am
Why dont you look into keser bais yakkov? I hear ppl are thrilled there.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
My friends who send there are very fashion conscious and kids are always dressed to kill.

But most chasidish schools kids dress very well.

This particular school takes clothing to a whole new level.

amother wrote:
Just want to add that I know quite a few other parents who really do not like the school, but are stuck there.

I know more than a few parents like this in this school. It's the spoiled entitlement mentality that makes it okay to criticize the school incessantly and to show disgust and contempt for the teachers and principals just because you can't get your way.

amother wrote:
Also some parents are just complainers by nature

Could be.

amother wrote:
Why dont you look into keser bais yakkov? I hear ppl are thrilled there.

Great suggestion, I've heard wonderful things about Kesser, too.

And Orchid, I'm not surprised by anything you said here, especially about Rabbi Leifer himself. It's like that from the top down. I'm glad your kids are happier now and I hope your dh is in a better place.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:22 am
So interesting. The (4 or 5) families that I know there are to the simple side and not into clothing at all. Their children are in the younger grades- I wonder if that has to do with it, or they're the minority....

Keser would be an option but lots of people told me I would fit in here....I was under the impression that TC is a bit more chassidish while Keser is more yeshivish/ learning type?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:39 am
Thanks, groissa momma, bh he is healthy now.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics