Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tiferes Chaya in lakewood
Previous  1  2  3  Next

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:37 am
amother wrote:
So interesting. The (4 or 5) families that I know there are to the simple side and not into clothing at all. Their children are in the younger grades- I wonder if that has to do with it, or they're the minority....

Keser would be an option but lots of people told me I would fit in here....I was under the impression that TC is a bit more chassidish while Keser is more yeshivish/ learning type?

Maybe amother above is right and it's only the older families that are unhappy. One of my friends sent there because the Leifers promised an overhaul of the parent body (around 6 years ago, that child is in 5th grade now) but the reality turned out to be very different. I know for a fact that some of the parents worked very hard that year to recruit nice families for that class but things don't always turn out as promised.

As for Kesser, there's no specific "type" yet because it's fairly new. The families I know that send there are very nice people whose fathers are making a living for their families (as they should be IMO) and are ehrliche, yirei shamayim from good, solid homes. Two of them wear shtreimlach, and the mothers are BY girls. Another family I know that sends there is also heimish but not chassidish, mother was also in BY. This friend has a daughter with an issue and the school is working with their teachers to accommodate her. All of these families are pretty simple and shop at places like Gap and Old Navy, and have no problem buying clothes on sale for their girls. In other words, none are out to impress the world.

They hired someone I know to do their school-wide extra-curriculars this year and she is amazing so I'm going to bet that that's another point in their favor.

I haven't heard anything negative about the school but then again, I may be talking to all the right people. Very Happy

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:46 am
My girls are in Tiferes Chaya but they are in the younger grades and we are Baruch Hashem very happy. One of my girls is not an easy child and they have been very helpful in working with her both academically and socially.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
My friends who send there are very fashion conscious and kids are always dressed to kill.

But most chasidish schools kids dress very well.

I know three families that send there and would agree with this post. But no nothing else about TC really.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:15 am
wow! I can't believe the L''h that's been said about the school.
I personally send there and am absolutely thrilled! The whole talk about the "fancy" crowd is totally untrue. I can't say there are no fancy parents, but definitely no more than any other chassidish school.
I find the principal and staff sooo caring. Whatever issue I have, they have responded to in a timely professional fashion.
For some reason the school got a bad name from the few families who don't follow the school rules and get flak from the school for it.
It's totally false and I only have the nicest things to say about it!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:37 am
Azure, we followed all the school rules too, those are not the issues that were posted about. My dd is an incredible girl, straight 100 student with very fine middos. Every teacher loved her, but she honestly doesn't care what's in style and got bullied by the girls and school for it.
it's sad that even the principals put more emphasis on being in style than on dealing with bullies and bad middos.
Sorry you think what I wrote is not true, I couldn't make up such things.

SS6099

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
wow! I can't believe the L''h that's been said about the school.
I personally send there and am absolutely thrilled! The whole talk about the "fancy" crowd is totally untrue. I can't say there are no fancy parents, but definitely no more than any other chassidish school.
I find the principal and staff sooo caring. Whatever issue I have, they have responded to in a timely professional fashion.
For some reason the school got a bad name from the few families who don't follow the school rules and get flak from the school for it.
It's totally false and I only have the nicest things to say about it!

I'm 100000% with you on this one. Disgusting the way some amothers are shaming the school.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:48 am
Orchid, I'm sorry about your experience. My daughter had a friend/bully/bossing issue and the school was especially good about it. They called me back and followed up on it extensively.
I don't know why they didn't deal with your bullying issue...

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:28 am
Hi I would like to chime in here too. For the sake of supporting orchid amother. Bec her experience means something. Just because others are happy doesn't mean she is and doesn't mean she is making it up. I for instance is in a chaider that is completely not handling me as decent and other parents are very happy. I will say this as a rule. You usually find out what a Mossad is like when u have a child with problems if your child has issues then u find out if they are good. Now it's possible that something changed fro the time that one parent experienced negatively to the time another parent experience. Maybe one teacher was not good. But remember that people usually are honest about an experience they had with a school. I was shocked how I was treated in the school I sent my child. And it's here in Lakewood. It's painful to say the least. It's scary what our mosdos can get away with. It's sad. But I won't claim to say that in ps they are better off.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:40 am
Thank you sourstixx for your belief and understanding.
I'm sorry for what you're going through too.
We moved away a few years back, so perhaps things have changed, I don't know. Perhaps other people had different experiences, but it does not mean mine is not true.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:49 am
Unfortunately there are many kids mistreated including parents on the way schools treat them. Starting from application all the way to abuse and not understanding basic Chinuch. I'm sorry to anyone that won't agree or understand. But I think most people know what I mean wether they will publicly say so not. You have to open your mouth and talk or you will never will be heard. The stuff schools get away with is appalling to say the least. Now I have no experience with tc. But I am not surprised. I have kids in Chinuch for close to 20 years. And boy do I have experience. . Sorry I have a lot of experience and I won't say more. It's not worth it. I won't gain anything but when someone complains I believe them.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:31 am
I am pretty surprised at some of the responses here. I never sent to TC personally, but I know some families who do. They are all lovely, soft-spoken, easy to get along with families with nice hashkafos. The fathers are currently working but did start out in kollel. They don't dress fancier than most of the rest of Lakewood (and I include not-Chassidish in this. There are almost no schools where you can say the student body does not dress fancier than kids did 15-20 years ago!)

And, AFAIK, they are very happy with the school. No school is perfect in every way for every person. You need to ask around a lot to get an overall picture. Don't go by 1 or 2 disgruntled people. You will find them in every single school.

Not saying that their experiences aren't valid. Just don't judge an entire school staff by their experience only.

And I know the Leifers personally. They will go out of their way to help people. I am totally NOT MEKABEL the L"H about the Rabbi that was posted on this thread.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:38 am
its sad ginger amother that you have to put me in the category of unhappy parent. I guess my experience isn't enough because if you knew what it entailed you would be shocked yourself. Everyone knows about the stuff schools get away with. So I guess this thread had its purpose and I hope op can make her decision wisely. Hatzalacha on making the right decision.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:46 am
But you will always find people with opposite experiences in any school. For ex: I have a son who had some issues in cheder. I was comfortable with the way they handled it. OTOH, there were parents who did not have such a great experience. So if you'd call me (and some other parents) you'd get a good report about the school. And if you'd call the other parents you wouldn't. And we all had problems and had to deal with the teachers and hanhala.

Even in TC, if you go through the thread, you will see that one person had a terrible experience with the bullying issue, while another felt they handled a bullying problem very well.

AND even in the same family, you will not have the same experience with all your children. I have 5 boys who went to the same cheder. Some Rebbeim were great for some of my boys while 1 or 2 of my other sons really suffered from those same Rebbeim. So nothing about chinuch for children is one size fits all.

If you are looking for a school that had 100% A+ rating from every single child and parent, start thinking about home schooling.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:36 pm
Orchid, is this you?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....22260

And sourstix, I completely agree with you.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:33 pm
So you think I'm making up stories about Rabbi Leifer, how nice. Do I need to post copies of dh's papers. Rolling Eyes

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:32 pm
No, I don't think you are making stuff up. It is possible that Rabbi Leifer, for some reason, did not do what you asked him to do. I don't know what his reasoning was and therefore will not change my opinion that he is a wonderful person who goes out of his way for others.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:42 pm
I went to apply there for my daughters and after the meeting I said my daughters will not attend that school!
The attitude and disrespect was not acceptable to me.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:20 pm
Also beware of parents that don't get in that cud b badmouthing ( I find that with my boys school) also sometimes its ppl that are jealous of other people and always on the look -out what others are wearing that are the real unhappy jealous people and others that even if dressed well and granparents might b more comfortable are the ones that r the happy content people

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:21 pm
If the school is as awful as the posters here make it out to be, why is it basically impossible to get into??
Is it because every school in Lakewood is hard to get into?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:27 pm
Im not going to follow this thread any longer, it's just too painful.
Bh for you to always believe in ppl, to be dan lekaf zrchus , though I'm not sure why I don't get the same courtesy, but as for me, I know that every word and much more is true.
Good luck op, with whatever you decide.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics