Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 22  23  24  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 8:36 am
Temima .
Definitely not poster student.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 8:51 am
fiddle wrote:
And proud!

Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

You should be! Every person should be proud of themself ,That's the healthy way!! Thumbs Up

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 9:00 am
Tomer Dvorah!

Typical TD grad and proud!

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:50 am
Satmar bp. Will probably send there too!

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:52 am
Bais Yaakov high school in boro park. Not representative at all. I'm MO and I would never send my kids to a school with that hashkafa

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Bais Yaakov high school in boro park. Not representative at all. I'm MO and I would never send my kids to a school with that hashkafa

I went to BYHS as well. I graduated in 2007. I would never in a million years send my kids to that school. I'm pretty frum but the hashkafa there is so messed up.

I went to BYBP for elementary-my daughter is there now and I'm thrilled. I like the diversity and they don't have an agenda.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I went to BYHS as well. I graduated in 2007. I would never in a million years send my kids to that school. I'm pretty frum but the hashkafa there is so messed up.

I went to BYBP for elementary-my daughter is there now and I'm thrilled. I like the diversity and they don't have an agenda.

I'm curious about BYBP because my mother went there, as did my older sisters - and when my sisters went, they still had the same teachers my mother had. By now, it must be a new generation of teachers. I would've thought the character of the school would've changed some, but according to your description it doesn't sound like it did....

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
I'm curious about BYBP because my mother went there, as did my older sisters - and when my sisters went, they still had the same teachers my mother had. By now, it must be a new generation of teachers. I would've thought the character of the school would've changed some, but according to your description it doesn't sound like it did....

I'm 20 years older than my daughter,and in preschool my daughter had all of the same teachers that I did!
I find it amazing that they're still there doing the same great job as when I had them and they don't seem to be burned out. Her first grade teacher was young(probably younger than me).

I love walking through the hallway and seeing familiar faces and such a happy atmosphere. If anything the school only improved. I would say it's one of the most well run schools in Brooklyn-I've been around...Smile

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:39 am
Pupa BP. Back then it was a real mix of girls so I am a product like all other mixed kids there.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:56 am
amother wrote:

We're a year apart!
BYBP has amazing management. You're really lucky to have such a wonderful school in your vicinity.
(BYHS on the other hand... Puke . Just Puke . They would announce the names of girls who had detention on the loudspeaker every day. The Metrocard lady terrorized us. One of my teachers told me all the teachers talked about disliking me in the teachers' room. All of this rolled off me, which is probably why they hated me, but I do resent not having a real education. They were deliberately unaccommodating to students who wished to pursue higher education outside of the frum world. My last interaction with them was them refusing to email me my transcripts for college and I had to personally come down to the school where the secretary tantrumed throughout the interaction, because I was going to Brooklyn college.)

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:23 pm
amother wrote:
We're a year apart!
BYBP has amazing management. You're really lucky to have such a wonderful school in your vicinity.
(BYHS on the other hand... Puke . Just Puke . They would announce the names of girls who had detention on the loudspeaker every day. The Metrocard lady terrorized us. One of my teachers told me all the teachers talked about disliking me in the teachers' room. All of this rolled off me, which is probably why they hated me, but I do resent not having a real education. They were deliberately unaccommodating to students who wished to pursue higher education outside of the frum world. My last interaction with them was them refusing to email me my transcripts for college and I had to personally come down to the school where the secretary tantrumed throughout the interaction, because I was going to Brooklyn college.)

"The following girls have detention....." FYI she's gone....

One of our teachers said that our class is constantly discussed in the teachers room as being the most chutzpadik class.

Someone posted a blog here recently that was written by a BYHS graduate. It was hilarious but oh so accurate....I need to find it , I can use some entertainment...

Oysh memories...

WaterWoman

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:50 pm
Another Bruriah graduate here. I consider myself fairly typical of the Modern Orthodox girls who attended the school (I graduated in the days when they were trying to make Bruriah into a Bais Yaakov in everything but name). I liked the school and I loved my classmates. Hi to all the other Bruriah grads who've posted here so far Very Happy

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:57 pm
Bais Ruchel in Kiryas Yoel.

Not a product, but I used every dysfunctional experience there to help me be the wonderful and growing person that I am today.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
"The following girls have detention....." FYI she's gone....

One of our teachers said that our class is constantly discussed in the teachers room as being the most chutzpadik class.

Someone posted a blog here recently that was written by a BYHS graduate. It was hilarious but oh so accurate....I need to find it , I can use some entertainment...

Oysh memories...

There's an '05 grad who is constantly suggested to me on Facebook, and I only read her name in Mrs. G's loudspeaker honk. She must still be returning to BY every Wednesday and Friday, there's no way she finished her detentions.

My class was told we were THE MOST chutzpahdik class. Very Happy . Every grade's gotta have one!

I would love to see that blog! The memories make me laugh now.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:26 pm
Yesoday Hatorah London.
No English ladies here?
Send my kids there.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:27 pm
I feel like me and so many friends who went there got messed up from bais Yaakov hs their intentions were good but they don't understand that not everyone fits the cookie cutter mold. As a result some girls on my grade went into drastically different directions because of the rigidity and when they were out so happy to be free of it all

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 6:15 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Were they bais yaakovy by birth or just as they got older?

There were a few girls who shifted pretty far to the right in my year, but very few. The school was attempting to shift to the right (namely Mrs Stern and Mrs Newman), but it wasn't actually there.

It could have been different by grade or by year. I graduated in 2000.

A mix - a bunch of girls in my class were from Elizabeth, and I don't know if they would have gone there if there was another choice in town. Maybe I'm wrong though. But there were quite a few who shifted to the right. I sort of include myself in this - I come from a somewhat yeshivish home, but went through a rebellious stage in 8-9th grades, so I really came into these hashkafos on my own, through teachers, friends, mentors, experiences both in and out of school. I am far from typical BY though, just a somewhat typical right-wing Bruriah grad Smile

ETA: I graduated in 2006 BTW

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
Yesoday Hatorah London.
No English ladies here?
Send my kids there.

I've been wondering the same!
I posted on the first/second page that I went to Bnos (Manchester) and someone else wrote she was in Jewish High (also Manchester) but so far we're the only three English people
I keep checking every now and then to see if there's anyone else Smile

WaterWoman

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 6:57 pm
tryinghard wrote:
A mix - a bunch of girls in my class were from Elizabeth, and I don't know if they would have gone there if there was another choice in town. Maybe I'm wrong though. But there were quite a few who shifted to the right. I sort of include myself in this - I come from a somewhat yeshivish home, but went through a rebellious stage in 8-9th grades, so I really came into these hashkafos on my own, through teachers, friends, mentors, experiences both in and out of school. I am far from typical BY though, just a somewhat typical right-wing Bruriah grad Smile

ETA: I graduated in 2006 BTW

I graduated in 2005! Close! Very Happy

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
I've been wondering the same!
I posted on the first/second page that I went to Bnos (Manchester) and someone else wrote she was in Jewish High (also Manchester) but so far we're the only three English people
I keep checking every now and then to see if there's anyone else Smile

Brits
Most of us lurk in the shadows snd dont come out too much - disnt expect myslef to - but your comment made me want to offer my view
YHS graduate too
Life has taken me many many places
And I'll leave it as that -
Page 8 of 24   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics