Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has anyone done a genealogy DNA test?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:21 pm
I'm thinking of doing it. Anything I should know?

Water Stones

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
I'm thinking of doing it. Anything I should know?

My oldest brother did it be cause he likes DNA test to find out the "roots" for us. It was call NatGeo and it give the "root" of both parents. Some test only give one parent.

So we know we came from major % Levant, minor % North Europe for the last 300 root, I think it was 300 years. It give before that too for migration of Africa. I don't know if that part really true be cause I don't know if I believe in the evolution.

It gave the area of levant and area of North Europe too.

He is doing it a special Jewish test I think soon. I'll ask him about the name.

Oh it's better for a man relative to do it be cause the DNA in them can give result for mother AND father root but the lady can only give fe male root. So if you have a brother he can do it for you too if you have same parents.

I hope you can understand me.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:55 pm
A friend gave me a kit. I wouldn't have done it because it was expensive, but since he gave it to me, I did it. Kind of fun, although my genealogy was boring and predictable. Eastern European Jew. Yep. I guess my secret fantasy about being a Chinese princess has been dashed.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:41 pm
Thank you! Does anyone have experience with the ancestry DNA one?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:55 pm
My mother did one. It was very interesting because my mother isn't halachically Jewish (I converted). But it turns out there is Jewish DNA in her background!! We had no idea!!! She can trace her background for several hundred years to many different European countries, but we have no idea who is the Jewish ancestor for her. I do think this explains a lot in my family because my mother truly does have a Jewish neshama and has identified with Judaism since she was a teenager.

Dvasha

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:45 pm
I did one for BRCA 1

little_mage

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:00 pm
We did the ancestry one. It was interesting, if like Clarissa, rather boring for me (for the exact same reasons!). It was a lot more interesting for my husband. We also got his parents to it. It's linked to his ancestry account, and I think he did find at least one unknown relation from it. I'm interested in the results, but don't really have the patience to do all the research to find it out, so genealogy is my husband's department. If you have more questions, I can try to ask him when he gets home.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:59 pm
So I actually have my family tree back 800 years (although not on all sides) but DH doesn't. We're thinking to do it for DH. DH is Sephardic and most of his known relatives are in
Israel. If we do the testing through ancestry will we only find any relatives here in the USA?

little_mage

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 6:00 pm
It won't only find in relatives in the USA, although I think it is somewhat dependent on who is in their database. My FIL is second-generation, and it found relatives for us in his country of origin.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:18 pm
The test my brother did of NatGeo can't say about relative ancestors but only where your DNA ancestors come from in the world.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 5:39 pm
Is Sephardic/Mizrachi a category? Or will it probably say he is Ashkenazi because they don't make a distinction?

Water Stones

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 2:53 am
amother wrote:
Is Sephardic/Mizrachi a category? Or will it probably say he is Ashkenazi because they don't make a distinction?

I know really the NatGeo test does compared DNA to world areas. Ashkenaz is East Europe from the DNA and Sephard and Mizraji is Levant. That test tolded my family the "area" of roots with this root is has X areas and this other root had that areas. So it yes makes a distinction. NatGeo is National Geographic Genome test. Not to find family members but just finding the root lineag of you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics