Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you afford day camp
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:21 pm
I live in Flatbush and am wondering if you have a few kids how do you afford day camp at 1400-1500 a kid ?? Waiting for replies thanks

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:24 pm
If you shop around and do early bird specials you could pay a few hundred less than that. 1100-1150.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Flatbush and am wondering if you have a few kids how do you afford day camp at 1400-1500 a kid ?? Waiting for replies thanks

I don't I have 6 kids home all day and try to keep them busy doing different things.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:48 pm
That's exactly wat I want to know!! I am home with my chikdren and spend all my energy doing. "camp" things all day!! I would love to gav a break before I work again in Sept! I want to know my relatives secret"" how they pay for their children wen they don't work and their husband works part time in low paying job!! I def. Am jealous!! I know I shouldn't be but they are the ones dressed to the hilt"' going to the gym....when I barely hav energy to get dressed up for anything other than work!! And I hav no money for these "extras" after paying tuition!!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:48 pm
It's cheaper then tuition. How do you afford tuition?

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:53 pm
It's built into my monthly budget the same way tuition is. (My monthly day camp fee is around the same price as my monthly tuition fee.)

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:00 pm
I had the same thing before I turned around day camp For my kids and with the younger ones going to backyard camps were $9,000. Bh I have a family member paying for half and even with that it's so expensive. Tuition per month cost me so much less. Bh someone is helping me because otherwise I would go insane being home with my kids all day.

Also I find that besides for tuition the summer just cost more money.

fbmommy

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:01 pm
I take a summer job to pay for our bungalow and day camp.
It really isn't an option for us to stay in the city in our small apartment all summer long.

cm

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:05 pm
How could I not afford it is the question...when I had a child in camp I didn't earn much more than I paid for camp over the summer, but it allowed me to be employed year-round.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:

I work there Smile

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:15 pm
The same way I afford everything else: I work, budget, and live within my means.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:17 pm
I'm only sending for july. In August I will be pulling my hair out! My kids are already complaining that they are bored a few minutes after they come home from day camp.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
That's exactly wat I want to know!! I am home with my chikdren and spend all my energy doing. "camp" things all day!! I would love to gav a break before I work again in Sept! I want to know my relatives secret"" how they pay for their children wen they don't work and their husband works part time in low paying job!! I def. Am jealous!! I know I shouldn't be but they are the ones dressed to the hilt"' going to the gym....when I barely hav energy to get dressed up for anything other than work!! And I hav no money for these "extras" after paying tuition!!

Either their husbands make more money than you think or they have family money or they are in debt. There's no magic solution

Last edited by tichellady on Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:46 pm
tichellady wrote:
Either their husbands make more money than you think or they have family money or they are in debt. There's no secrets

I never understand such threads. Do posters think that everyone makes the same salary and has the same expenses as they do, yet somehow manage to pay for more things than they themselves can afford?

It's not rocket science. Some people make more money than others, and others spend less to be able to afford different things.

To answer the OP's question, I can afford day camp because right now my husband's income is enough for that to be included.
Now how does this information help anyone?

rikki 1

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:51 pm
what about the biggie that no one touched on-....daycamps expect the huge sums UPFRONT before the summer....it's not like you can pay as you go along...plus there are so many gaps between school/camp/school that daycamp ends up being way more than tuition.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:52 pm
I work and need to send my DC to camp, but it's way cheaper than $1,500 a month. At this age it's basically her summer babysitter, and the costs are around the same as I spent all year round.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:00 pm
I get an amazing discount because I work for the organization. 50 bucks a week. Smile

rikki 1

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:00 pm
I live in lakewood and once you age out of the backyard camps then there are no different prices to pick from- all the camps are getting more expenisve and fanicer by the year and there's nothing you can do but pay it or go beserk having your kids home for 10 weeks!!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:04 am
yeah I just go berserk.

Camp mommy goes something like this: sunday ABA therapy, spraypark, chuckee cheese and Hebrew tutoring, monday zoo and ABA therapy, tuesday science center and swim lesson and ABA therapy, wednesday library and errands and ABA therapy, thursday playground and piano lessons and speech therapy, friday go out with Abba and let mommy cook for Shabbos. Family walks at 6:30 each night after dinner--- if too hot to go outside, we put on music and pace the living room inside and have a dance party for exercise. Throw in a little summer homework, piano practice, ipad times, water balloon fights, and snack and meal times, and done. I plan each day in advance. I have some help from my husband who doesn't work all summer. He has a huge project he's working on so we try to do some things together and some things without him. I work, but only in the evenings during the summer. Somehow we financially survive the summer with my husband not working and me only working part time---- kind of amazing how necessity makes me earn more $$ in fewer hours over the summers. But we feel the pinch. Housework and my sleep is what suffer. The laundry gets washed and dried, but doesn't get put away all summer. Smile

There is NO affordable therapeutic special ed camp on our side of the city that would work for my kids. I sent them to a (non Jewish) special ed camp for 4 summers, but it went WAY downhill and is now just glorified babysitting in a bad neighborhood. The typical camps would require 2 tuitions plus 2 one on one aides from us. So last summer and this summer are camp mommy..... we'll see about next summer.

I have a friend paying $700 per WEEK for camp. $2800 a month--- that's equal to a salary for a lot of people. She has more kids than I do--- but even for just my two, I just can't justify hundreds per week.

Another mom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:43 am
amother wrote:
I never understand such threads. Do posters think that everyone makes the same salary and has the same expenses as they do, yet somehow manage to pay for more things than they themselves can afford?

It's not rocket science. Some people make more money than others, and others spend less to be able to afford different things.

To answer the OP's question, I can afford day camp because right now my husband's income is enough for that to be included.
Now how does this information help anyone?

Maybe they are looking for strategies (discounts, cheaper options) that other moms' experience can be of help.
BTW, Brunette, feel at home. In Israel all day camps end after 1 month. Sometimes working mothers send to private things but 98% are home. We manage -friends, cousins (inviting here or going). Park, arts and crafts. Pool not too far w sep hours, a big help.Go away 4 Shabbos..(if invited or parents) We go away as a family for a few days (3-4) That's expensive, too. Sometimes we camp oiut a day...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics