Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone from Toronto who can answer this?
1  2  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:11 pm
I live in U.S. now and we are very poor. We are on food stamps and get other forms of gov't assistance as well. I wanted to know how it works in Canada as we are considering moving to Toronto. Is there any form of gov't assistance for poor people? Do they give money for food or anything? Please let me know how welfare works there.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:26 pm
Beware! Toronto is an extremely expensive place to live.
Assuming you are Canadian, you might qualify for welfare. Also, if you have kids and earn less than 30 000$ a year, you receive around 500$/month per child. As your income increases, the allowance decreases.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
I live in U.S. now and we are very poor. We are on food stamps and get other forms of gov't assistance as well. I wanted to know how it works in Canada as we are considering moving to Toronto. Is there any form of gov't assistance for poor people? Do they give money for food or anything? Please let me know how welfare works there.

You know Canada isn't part of the states? You can't just move here and go on welfare. They'll never give you immigration status. And why on earth would you want to live in one of the two most expensive places in Canada?

Why not move to israel where at least your education will be free and you can immigrate relatively easily?

Canada is definitely not looking for broke people who can't support themselves. No self respecting country is looking for immigrants like that.

wantavaca

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:53 am
andrea levy wrote:
You know Canada isn't part of the states? You can't just move here and go on welfare. They'll never give you immigration status. And why on earth would you want to live in one of the two most expensive places in Canada?

Why not move to israel where at least your education will be free and you can immigrate relatively easily?

Canada is definitely not looking for broke people who can't support themselves. No self respecting country is looking for immigrants like that.

Ouch!!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:40 pm
andrea levy wrote:

My husband is Canadian so we lived in the U.S. temporarily but are looking to move back to where he is from.

We both have Masters degrees and work hard. It is not our fault we couldn't find better jobs despite applying to every job for years. Do not judge so harshly.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:48 pm
Houses there go for over a million. Dont think its a good place if you have no money.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is Canadian so we lived in the U.S. temporarily but are looking to move back to where he is from.

We both have Masters degrees and work hard. It is not our fault we couldn't find better jobs despite applying to every job for years. Do not judge so harshly.

Assuming you're not a Canadian resident or citizen, the process of you legally moving there is lengthy and expensive.
I married a Canadian and moved there. We then spent a year waiting for my application to be processed and dealing with the occasional government screw-up, where I couldn't legally work and I wasn't eligible for the healthcare program. Your kids should be automatically Canadian but just reporting their births and getting all of them Canadian passports can also be expensive

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:29 pm
my BIL and SIL moved there. There are gov't programs that help - but different than America and much less.
Housing is very expensive, both renting and buying.
Food is much more expensive there.
Clothing is much more expensive.
Everything is much more expensive. Wine, matza, etc.
They used to come in to do their shopping, but now that the Canadian dollar fell SO much it isn't worth it at all.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:

I wasn't judging but given the information I saw, which seemed like you were just randomly looking for a welfare programme to support you, my reaction was based on 'what would the immigration department say?

if your husband is canadian then obviously, canada is his home and thus yours. How could I have known that you had that connection or that you have both masters degrees?

conversely, why assume you won't find jobs in canada? Don't assume you'll need welfare. maybe you'll find dream jobs.

but seriously, depending on what your masters is in, maybe consider living elsewhere than toronto. Hamilton has some less expensive housing. Ottawa might be less expensive. in the states, detroit is apparently more affordable.

Best of luck with your futures.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:34 pm
wantavaca wrote:
Ouch!!

It's true. Do you know how much I would need to have to move to the states? Half a million dollars. And I am Canadian. And I had an American Grandmother.

However, we know now that her husband is Canadian. They both have master's degrees. Maybe a move will help their luck change.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:02 pm
It's really expensive to live there $$$$$

ayintova

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:09 pm
Housing is definitely expensive. Tuition is more than in the US. I am paying $11,000 to $13,000 (Canadian dollars) per year for elementary school tuition for EACH child. One advantage though is the health care system. Once you qualify, medical care (doctor's visits, hospital stays), is covered. No dental, no drugs though. You would pay for those yourself or get supplemental health insurance. We also have higher taxes than most states. In Ontario, the sales tax is 13%. Income tax is generally higher than the US. Thornhill is less expensive for housing than Toronto or consider smaller communities like Hamilton like another poster suggested.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:13 am
ayintova wrote:
Housing is definitely expensive. Tuition is more than in the US. I am paying $11,000 to $13,000 (Canadian dollars) per year for elementary school tuition for EACH child. One advantage though is the health care system. Once you qualify, medical care (doctor's visits, hospital stays), is covered. No dental, no drugs though. You would pay for those yourself or get supplemental health insurance. We also have higher taxes than most states. In Ontario, the sales tax is 13%. Income tax is generally higher than the US. Thornhill is less expensive for housing than Toronto or consider smaller communities like Hamilton like another poster suggested.

I am in the US and where I live tuition is much much more than that!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
It's really expensive to live there $$$$$

Can you elaborate?
Besides buying a house is it really that much more expensive than NY?

I'm paying here in NY $2,200 (cad) for a two bedroom apartment

Tuition per child here in NY $7,000 (cad) a child

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Can you elaborate?
Besides buying a house is it really that much more expensive than NY?

I'm paying here in NY $2,200 (cad) for a two bedroom apartment

Tuition per child here in NY $7,000 (cad) a child

Cars are more expensive. Gas is more expensive. Buses/subway is more expensive. Clothes are more expensive. Toys and books are more expensive. Full tuition is more expensive at most schools. Food is more expensive.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residenti.....rtown

itsmeima

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
Cars are more expensive. Gas is more expensive. Buses/subway is more expensive. Clothes are more expensive. Toys and books are more expensive. Full tuition is more expensive at most schools. Food is more expensive.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residenti.....rtown

Compared to NY? Kosher food is definitely more, but a quick Google search claims cars being cheaper, gasoline a lot more, transportation cheaper, toys & books same, clothing same or a little more.

Tuition seems a little more than tuition in Lakewood and Monsey.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 12:56 pm
Toronto is really really expensive. if your poor not worth moving there. many young couples are moving away due to the insane housing prices.

itsmeima

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
Toronto is really really expensive. if your poor not worth moving there. many young couples are moving away due to the insane housing prices.

Compared to where?

Rent is the same as NY. Food is a little more.
Tuition is a little more. Besides for buying a home, what's ”really” expensive?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 1:19 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Compared to NY? Kosher food is definitely more, but a quick Google search claims cars being cheaper, gasoline a lot more, transportation cheaper, toys & books same, clothing same or a little more.

Tuition seems a little more than tuition in Lakewood and Monsey.

Compared to New York City

Why do you want to move to Toronto?

You need to keep in mind that the value of the Canadian dollar vs US dollar isn’t fixed. And Canadians aren’t earning in USD.

So to compare $3.25CAD for a subway ride in Toronto vs $2.75USD in NY. It may seem cheaper in Toronto. If the USD weakens it’s no longer the case. The Canadian salaries don’t adjust for fluctuations in the dollar.

The salary for the same job is typically higher in Manhattan than in Toronto.

itsmeima

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
Compared to New York City

Why do you want to move to Toronto?

You need to keep in mind that the value of the Canadian dollar vs US dollar isn’t fixed. And Canadians aren’t earning in USD.

So to compare $3.25CAD for a subway ride in Toronto vs $2.75USD in NY. It may seem cheaper in Toronto. If the USD weakens it’s no longer the case. The Canadian salaries don’t adjust for fluctuations in the dollar.

The salary for the same job is typically higher in Manhattan than in Toronto.

I hear you, but that's something you can't really plan. It's been pretty much the same for the past few years.

Okay, I'm so confused. I was told meat and dairy are expensive in Toronto but I just did some comparing... my grocery with Kosher City Plus on dairy and meat products I normally buy and most products are around the same price, milk was a dollar more and some are even less. Gosh, it's confusing.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's "really" expensive about Toronto. Besides buying a house of course.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating