Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shul Youth Groups

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 5:35 am
I'm not really sure where to put this, so here goes:

If your shul has youth groups, what do they do that your kids really like? We are trying to revamp/upgrade our programming and I'm looking for ideas.

What is the structure to the groups?

What type of activities do your kids like best?

Are there any special activities done on a non-weekly basis?

Feel free to post any great ideas! Thanks!

mo5

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 6:46 am
Depending on how long it's for- some unstructured or loosely structured time for the kids to interact casually with each other.
The leaders make the biggest difference (more than the activities)
Food -related activities that are muttar on shabbos (not always so easy to find!)
Puppet shows
Well-planned games (based on parsha or chagim)
Some resources: book called Parsha Play, try to get from England what they prepare for the United synagogues (under chief Rabbi) I think they're youth groups are called the Tribe. (All amazing material)

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 7:17 am
Depending on the ages, I would like them to make sure the kids daven. Obviously with younger kids it is very little in "circle time" but as they get bigger they may not be able to sit for all of davening in shul but there should be something. I would love a good balance of activities related to shabbos/parsha/yiddishkeit and some free time /fun things. I don't want just glorified babysitting or where the kids run around screaming and there is no connection to shul or shabbos.
And great leaders make the difference!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:44 am
Are you talking about youth group on Shabbat morning (youth/children's services) or activities that take place on Shabbat afternoons/motz Shab? What kind of age groups?

For children's services during the services, we do story time with gingerbread (wo)man on winter Friday evenings, geared for 4-8yr olds. Standard Shabbat children's services, one thing that's popular for the boys is 'aniim zmirot squad' where they have a rota of boys. (I'm very ambivalent because there's very little to offer for the girls, one shul has 'junior ladies guild' where young girls help set up Kiddush but that really sends wrong message in my personal view).

Most Shabbat afternoon activities are via established groups like Sinai or Bnai Akiva, agree 200% it really depends on the calibre of madrichim. I'm rather ambivalent about these as well, as they tend to feature football very heavily, again leaving limited attractions for boys not into football and girls. They have a brief parsha quiz, nosh/seuda shlishi. Another shul I know gives children a button every time they come to shul childrens services or activities, and at the end of the year, the kids get to redeem these buttons for a small prize. Horim veyeladim learnings (aka LK homework club) mots shab is also popular. Food is definitely big draw, like thematic Kiddush or seuda shlishi. Movie and pizza or mocktail making events for older children (11-14yo), we also did joint tzedaka projects like packaging Shabbat food packages. Mother-and-daughter monthly pre-bat mitzvah learning is quite popular here.

The children's service activity guide mo5 mentioned is an excellent source, covers different age group from pre-schoolers to early teens. Tribe is the youth division of United Synagogue, kind of like what NCSY is to OU, I guess.

http://www.tribeuk.com/resourcesandshop

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:50 am
I only have boys so I cant comment on the girls programming at my shul. I don't care for the babysitting which is age toddler to 5 or so. The boys who are older then 5 but too young to daven with their fathers or mothers for the whole time have a group for an hour or so with an adult who is the first grade rebbe at the elementary school. It is usually around the time of krias hatorah and the drasha. He makes kiddush, they have cholent, he tells stories they talk about the parsha. They come down for part of mussaf. Its nice because DS is slowly learning to sit during davening but its for a realistic time frame.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics