Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Luggage Rec's for Seminary in Israel?

Grandma 1

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 10:47 am
Looking to help our granddaughter choose the right luggage, for her seminary year in Israel. She will be allowed 2 pieces, plus a carry-on. For those who have done this in recent years, or will be sending a child off this year:
What type of luggage pieces would be the most practical, meaning type (suitcase? duffle?) and size. Would ideally like recommendations for specific pieces/brands/styles that are lightweight, sturdy, and easiest to maneuver. Thanks, so much!

5mom

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:05 am
If storage is going to be a problem, duffles are best. LL Bean makes great duffles. The extra large size is too big for most airlines. Buy the large. If she can manage without a wheeled bag, you can get the regular duffel, which folds up. It weighs just over 2 lbs empty, so there's lots of space for packing.

Don't forget a good weekend bag for shabbos.

momX4

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:15 am
Amazing savings has great inexpensive duffle bags with wheels. You can stuff more into a duffle bag if you pack right. Her carry on bag should be something she can use for a weekend bag. She can also take a regular size backpack as a personal item, great for trips.

treestump

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:18 am
For a Shabbos travel bag, I suggest a lightweight wheelie. When I was in seminary, I had a large shoulder bag - big mistake. It was really heavy to carry around on my shoulder even just with Shabbos basics.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:11 pm
Why wouldn't you use the carry on to have as additional luggage. In my experience you can then also carry on a nice tote as well which I use when traveling for essentials - wallet, prescriptions, phone, iPad etc. So the carry on would be the kind of small rolling luggage that fits in the overhead plus you would have a tote/large bag to hold things one wants during the flight.

I would then pack a nice light weight small messenger (cross body) to use for every day that would be enough to hold what one wants on an every day basis. Does she need any kind of book bag/computer case?

I would be less worried about the two large pieces since she would not have to shlep them as you can check curbside and every airport I've been to has carts to put the baggage on. I would assume that these items would be stored and used only to return.

There are some nice large light weight tote bags that can be folded up and put into a suitcase without taking up room.

aqua1

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:25 pm
I suggest the amazing saving duffles on wheels. They're light, on wheels, and easy to store. As for hand luggage, bring a small wheelie and a overnight shoulder bag. She can then have the choice as to what to bring for shabbos. Like another poster mentioned above, a messenger bag or small everyday bag is essential for whenever she goes out.

Shuly

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:42 pm
I third the wheeling duffle bag from Amazing Savings for a suitcase.

For a carry on, get her a small wheeled one from IT Luggage. They're extremely lightweight.
You can find them online and sometimes in Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

She is entitled to a carry on and a personal bag, so she should bring a knapsack as her personal bag.

N'sMom

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 2:11 pm
Second the LL Bean duffles. My daughter already had a large one for camp and we got her a second large and a (matching) one in small for shabbosim. They are sturdy, not too expensive and come in a lot of colors. The fact that it won't be black means it will be easy to find in the airport, and it's fun too. I didn't get the one with wheels for the big ones because the wheels take up space and weight. But I can see the argument both ways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics