Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Newport, Rhode Island
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:22 pm
I'm trying to put together a one day (Sunday) trip there.

Any information that anyone can share would be helpful and appreciated.

Besides for Touro Synagogue, which things are must sees nearby (since we only have one day).

Also any kosher food info? Minyanim on the way home? (towards Brooklyn)

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:26 pm
There are a few Newport Mansions. The biggest one is the Breakers. You won't have time to see all the mansions in one day. The Breakers has an audio tour. You put on a headset and walk around the mansion.

http://www.newportmansions.org.....akers

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 3:12 pm
Tour Touro (check web page for tour times), and get the package for Breakers + 1 more mansion, also there's a gorgeous walk out back of the mansions by the water. There should be minyan in Touro synagogue; on the way back, New Haven, Fairfield, or Stamford are probably your best options near the highway.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:05 pm
After the mansions have closed, walk along the Cliff Walk.
I will go anon for this, because it seems to be the fashion for this thread

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:13 pm
What are the ages of the people in your group? If it's adults, then a mansion tour, plus the Cliff walk, plus Touro synagogue is great. If you are going with kids, then Beaver Tail State Park in Jamestown-- over the "other" Verazzano bridge Smile is a great stopover. There are tide pools that are fun to poke around in.

Also, ferry service was just reinstated between providence and Newport. If you want to hit providence as well, then you can drive to pvd, park at the ferry terminal, and take the ferry to Newport. Make reservations because the ferry sells out-- especially weekends.

On Sundays in the summer, you will most likely find minyanim @ Touro. There are always minyanim in PVD.

farina

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:51 pm
There are also nice sail boat rides for about 90 minutes. There are also bike,mopeds and cute little driving scooters you can rent

farina

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:59 pm
There's also a pretty topiary garden nearby very relaxing.all trees in shapes of animals etc

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 7:27 am
If time allows, I think you'd have enough to do to extend your trips. 2-3 days in Newport would be more enjoyable and less rushed

mitsvaandmitsva

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 8:11 am
I agree. The schools do breakers with audio and touro. Id add the topiary garden which is beautifull trees cut in shapes . A short walk bu the water. There is a drive time between these places. They are not next door. Chabad house is far but check out for the way back to daven

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:28 am
Op here (since the colors are no longer here)

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everyone's input!

I would love to stay longer, but unfortunately I only have 1 day to go. Has anyone ever done this in one day? Am I crazy to attempt it?

Going with preteens and teens.

Definitely want to do the shul and a mansion or two. Are those near each other?

Topiary garden and walking along the water sound nice as well. How close are they?

If anyone has done this, can you tell me how to set up or schedule my day?

Thanks!

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:34 am
amother-- ideally, you would have more than one day in newport, but if you can't, then I wouldn't nix the trip because it's only one day....
are you coming from the NY area? Just make sure to leave early Sunday morning, to maximize your time in Newport. Would you consider leaving after shabbos and staying in a hotel along the way -- ie Stamford?

If you are going with preteens to the mansions, I recommend doing the servants tour, vs. the regular tour. I think the teens/preteens will find it more interesting.

Everything is pretty close together, except the topiary gardens. That's about 1/2 hour away. a little less.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:45 am
It can be done in one very long day, following a vaskin davening and departure. Even for only 1 day, if you are travelling with a family and want to go to more than 1 mansion, it makes sense to become a member of the Preservation Society of Newport County. Check the prices.
The topiary garden is also part of this pass. Touro and the mansions are very near each other, the topiary garden is a bit further out. Breakers is the most popular-call them and try to go at their recommended times. This used to be the earlier the better, so this might be your first stop. Touro only has tours certain times. I would do Breakers, touro, other manision of your choice (I loved the Elms behind the scenes servants tour), topiary, then once everything else is closed for the day, drive back and walk the Cliff Walks.

This will probably have you leaving RI at about 7:30. It will be a long, but hopefully fun day.
We have done this (although we did 3 mansions and not touro since we had done touro a different trip, plus the green animals topiary plus the cliff walk).

Check where to park for Touro-the mansions have their own parking

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:47 am
I also think you need to do this on a Sunday-for one thing to rest up the day before, also to minimize the traffic you will face in the am.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:51 am
Another vote for the Cliff Walk and a sailboat ride. You can always 'tour Touro' during mincha/marriv.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 3:24 pm
This is so helpful! Thanks so much to everyone who replied!

Of course, if anyone has anything to add, I appreciate that as well.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 8:06 am
Sorry to hijack but is there a shul with weekday miniyonim in Newport?

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Sorry to hijack but is there a shul with weekday miniyonim in Newport?

I think in the summer Touro should have a minyan. You can call them to find out

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:13 am
Bumping this thread.

Dh and I looking to get away for a few days. Newlyweds, no kids yet, but I am expecting so walking long distances gets me breathless.

Has anyone been to Newport since Covid? Are any of the mansions open? ANy suggestions of things to do?Tysm!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Bumping this thread.

Dh and I looking to get away for a few days. Newlyweds, no kids yet, but I am expecting so walking long distances gets me breathless.

Has anyone been to Newport since Covid? Are any of the mansions open? ANy suggestions of things to do?Tysm!

I was at the Breakers this past Sunday. Yes the mansions are open. You need to wear masks. Probably other mansions are also open (we were on the way back from farther North so we just did the Breakers. I would recommend you go to the Breakers, and after that choose one other mansion which will cost you very little with your Breakers ticket - it's a package deal. I think The Elms is the next biggest mansion.)

Since you are expecting (B"T!) I would say do the easier Cliff walk. When you go behind the Breakers, turn left. That's the easier walk, it's fully paved and easy to do. (a right turn has the paved path ending a short distance ahead, and then there are slippery rocks to scramble over, and it's much more difficult. I wouldn't recommend that for you right now. And the view is just beautiful and there's plenty of walk on the left.)

I would also recommend you do some sort of boat ride or cruise in the area. We did one in Cape Cod, and it was beautiful. I'm sure there are boat tours in Rhode Island as well.

Enjoy!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Bumping this thread.

I believe mansions are open. Cliff walk is beautiful

Heading there this weekend gd willing so I can try to report back!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics