Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bullying

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:51 am
My son is being bullied at school what should I do? How can I help him? Teachers are working on it but meanwhile how can I help him? Than you so much

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 1:07 am
Try this method:
http://bullies2buddies.com

Can't say it is foolproof, but definitely good tools for a child not to feel like a victim.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:28 am
amother wrote:
Try this method:
http://bullies2buddies.com

Can't say it is foolproof, but definitely good tools for a child not to feel like a victim.

Oh my gosh, that website is amazing! I can't stop reading the articles. I always knew that PC special snowflake safe spaces and "thought crime" laws were going to ruin our children. We've already seen this play out on college campuses across the United States. Rational discussion is a dying art.

Instead of being perpetually offended, it is so much more empowering to say "Tell me more about why you feel that way." It almost always leaves your opponent flustered and confused. They run out of steam pretty quickly. LOL

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:31 am
amother wrote:
My son is being bullied at school what should I do? How can I help him? Teachers are working on it but meanwhile how can I help him? Than you so much

How old is your son? What is the nature of the bullying?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:48 am
5*Mom wrote:
How old is your son? What is the nature of the bullying?

He is 5, he says they making fun of him and doesn't want to go!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
He is 5, he says they making fun of him and doesn't want to go!

Read the website posted above. There are some great age appropriate dialogues you can practice with him. You can take turn being the bullies, and go over ways that he can defuse and redirect the mean comments.

"Really? Why do you say that?"
"Hmmm, that's interesting."
"Yeah, I know. I get that a lot."
"Did I do something to make you mad?"
"You seem to be having a bad day today."
"Well, some people have that idea about things."

Basically, it takes two people to fight. If one person refuses to feed the troll, the other person doesn't get the satisfaction they're looking for. Just ignoring the bully never works. You have to engage them in a conversation that enlists their opinion, listen, and give parve answers in return.

I love doing this to racists. It's actually pretty fun. "Wow, you sound really mad about that. Did you have a bad experience? What else happened? What do you think would happen if..." etc. By turning the conversation back on them, it makes them defend their position. 99 times out of 100, they disappear in a puff of smoke!

Worst case scenario, they get bored and leave. I can live with that.
Medium scenario, they agree to disagree. They'll never like you, but they will respect you for being civil.
Best case scenario, they will decide that you're actually pretty cool, and you'll get a new friend.

In any case, you always win if you take the high road, and never let them see you sweat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children