Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivish Communities
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:08 pm
Which communities in NY are mainly Yeshivish? Am thinking about moving. Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:09 pm
S. Fallsburg

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 2:26 am
Thanks! Any others?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 2:32 am
there are lots of yeshivish communities. they may not be 100% yeshivish people only living there, but there could still be strong communities.

monsey
far rockaway area
there's a strong yeshiva presence in woodmere

are you only looking in ny or would you consider nj?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 3:41 am
I would consider NJ. What about Brooklyn or Queens? Is there a strong yeshivish community somewhere there?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:19 am
not a big authority on yeshivish communities but a couple of thoughts
lower east side
staten island
kensington (brooklyn)
scranton, pa (near the catskills)

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
I would consider NJ. What about Brooklyn or Queens? Is there a strong yeshivish community somewhere there?

I would add Kew Gardens Hills in Queens to your list. There is a mix of types there, but the Chafetz Chaim high school/Beis Medrash/Semicha program is there, so you do get a large number of yeshivish families living in the area.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:24 am
if you are open to NJ then Passaic.

leah233

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:45 am
If you are looking in Brooklyn then look into Bensonhurst.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 11:44 am
leah233 wrote:
If you are looking in Brooklyn then look into Bensonhurst.

That is extremely yeshivish. Shtark Bais Hatalmud type. I have no idea what type of yeshivish OP is looking for, but Bensonhurst is for a specific 'shtark' kind of yeshivish, just want to put that out there.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 12:28 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
I would add Kew Gardens Hills in Queens to your list. There is a mix of types there, but the Chafetz Chaim high school/Beis Medrash/Semicha program is there, so you do get a large number of yeshivish families living in the area.

But this is a very specific type of yeshivish that may or may not be to OP's comfort level - very different than say, Lakewood yeshivish...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:54 pm
OP, as you can see from some of the posts here, it depends a lot how you define "yeshivish."

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:58 pm
Goldie613 wrote:

There is also a large and growing Ohr HaChaim crowd here in Kew Gardens hills. It's not an exclusively yeshivish neighborhood but there are plenty of yeshivish people and yeshivish shuls.

As someone above said, what do you consider yeshivish?
Lakewood type? Bais hatalmid? White shirts only? Is learner /earner community (passaic ) yeshivish to you? Is chofetz chaim yeshivish to you?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:07 am
OP here. I don't need a community that is exclusively Yeshivish, as long as the majority is Yeshivish. Yes, Chofetz Chaim is Yeshivish to me. I am going to look into Kew Garden Hills. Are there other places in Brooklyn or Queens I should be looking into? I currently live OOT and do not know NY well at all.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:47 am
Far Rockaway/Bayswater

I think that coming from OOT Brooklyn could be very overwhelming.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 3:52 am
OP again. Thanks for all of your help. Since I am coming from OOT, maybe I should look into other OOT places. Are there are Yeshivish communities you can recommend in Florida? Other than NMB. Thanks!

mommyfirst

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:22 pm
Is there anything guiding you in this decision other than your need for a "yeshivish" community? There are lots of communities with strong yeshivas/kollels across the entire US. Maybe you should narrow down your search based on other criteria like jobs, affordability, family, schools, etc etc!!!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:41 pm
if you are looking for OOT yesheivish communities then I would suggest Detroit, South Bend...

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:59 pm
tryinghard wrote:
But this is a very specific type of yeshivish that may or may not be to OP's comfort level - very different than say, Lakewood yeshivish...

I am from Queens and live in Lakewood now. I was not affiliated with chafetz chaim who btw consider themselves to be "non yeshivish" but they are very frum. Queens has many types these days including modern and bucharian. You might like Queens since it is so diverse yet has a yeshivish crowd too - especially since you are coming from out of town! Housing and schools are very expensive in Queens - something you should keep in mind.

Do you want an out of town type community? where are you coming from? Why are you moving?

If you have relatives or friends in a particular area, I would encourage you to move near them. It is very hard to move and not have anyone at all.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 4:22 am
OP here. Thank you all for your suggestions, I will look into these options
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating