Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Quartzite countertops- why not?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 8:59 pm
post your con list. thanks!

sourstix

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:41 pm
I can't find anything negative. Loved it when I had it. Oh now I remember it's a little expensive.

mommyla

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:50 pm
Like granite, you have to pick your slab. $$$$ but gorgeous. Do your research - some stone yards will label a slab as quartzite when it's really marble, and you don't want to deal with a soft marble. You can test a piece to see if it's marble.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:14 pm
Do u know the price difference between Quartz and quartzite? Is it that big of a difference?
I think Quartz is about $70/square foot. Is that correct?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:11 am
The only con is the price in that it is more expensive. Note that Quartzite (which is more expensive) is natural stone, harder than granite. Quartz is man made of stone particles and resin and costs less than Quartzite. I put in Quartzite in my new kitchen and love it. Don't have the pricing, but I'm not in NY so it would be different. As mommla said above, you did need to be sure you are getting Quartzite and not marble but if you use a reputable fabricator that shouldn't be a problem.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:37 am
mommyla wrote:
Like granite, you have to pick your slab. $$$$ but gorgeous. Do your research - some stone yards will label a slab as quartzite when it's really marble, and you don't want to deal with a soft marble. You can test a piece to see if it's marble.

how do you test the piece?

mommyla

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
how do you test the piece?

Check out this link (I have not tried it myself, but that's the advice I've seen in different forums).

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 5:09 pm
mommyla wrote:
Check out this link (I have not tried it myself, but that's the advice I've seen in different forums).

thanks!

Shuly

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 5:23 pm
Can you kasher quartzite?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 5:24 pm
Shuly wrote:
Can you kasher quartzite?

interesting question. I have no interest in kashering for pesach, so that's not a concern of mine, but interesting to hear anyway.

mommyla

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:39 pm
Yes, quartzite can be kashered just like granite (it's also a natural stone), but AYLOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen